AA727
Topic Author

ETOPS

Fri Jan 08, 1999 8:08 am

OK, we already talked about this subject. I know.
But I've got one more thing to say about ETOPS:
I understand that the 180 min rule means that you have to be within 180 min of a suitable airfield at anytime. I beleive that there is a 137 min ETOPS approval for overwater flights across the Atlantic, 120 min is acceptable but there is a small portion on the North Atlantic ocean that is not within two hours of Gander, Shannon, Reykjavik or the Azores. That is why a 137 min rule has been added so that any aircraft is said to be withing the range of a suitable airfield at any time anywhere during the oceanic crossing. Most airlines today get approval for 180min rules but 137min is just enough for North Atlantic operations.
If I say anything wrong or nonsense, please let me know. Don't hesitate to reply and tell me what you think.
Best regards
Ben Soriano

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos