First Dogfights

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:29 am

Does anybody know how the first dogfights occurred? It is said that since the pilots had no weapons, all they could do was shout "yo momma" jokes and give the finger, etc. What happened next? Did some genius cook up the idea of bringing a few rocks to hurl at his enemy or did they pack handguns in the cockpit? Did they also try to fling grenades at each other? There is no documented evidence of this that I can find. In what year did they get the idea of mounting a machine gun anywhere on the plane? What country did it and what kind of machine gun/plane was used?

RE: First Dogfights

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:35 am

The first dogfights were with pistols. Pretty inaccurate stuff.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:40 am

According to Tom D. Crouch in his excellent new book, Wings, the first air-to-air kill was on October 5th, 1914 when a French Voisin shot down a German Taube. "Dogfighting" began in earnest in 1915.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:47 am

It doesn't answer the question, but, for an enjoyable yarn, see if you can get a copy of 'The Blue Max' with George Peppard, and Ursula Andress (of Bond's 'Dr No' fame)! Terrific airborne dogfight stuff!

From BBC Film site:-

Or - for a later film:-

Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!