N1641
Topic Author

Best Time To Buy Tickets?

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:58 am

there seem to be some patterns withs plane tickets, how far in advanced generally gets you the best price? It seems staying over 7 days will raise the price? and what day of the week is the cheapest to fly on? One thing I've found is that I can get cheaper tickets directly through the airline than using any of those websites like priceline, expedia, etc... Im gonna fly into Boise in late june, the websites show at least $400, NWA.com had them as low as $363, still an expensive ticket I think.

VSlover

RE: Best Time To Buy Tickets?

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:06 am

I wonder the same thing.

ALSO, why was it $100 cheaper for me to book my LGA-SMF on orbitz.com than it was for the same flights directly through aa.com ?? any ideas??

B747-437B

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:14 am

The best time to buy tickets is after you decide where and when you want to go.

Buying tickets before that is usually an exercise in futility.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

SQ25J

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:18 am

N1641-If you are trying to fly DAY-BOI, $363RT may not be that bad. I don't think there is lots of competition in that markt, which is the major factor in prices. It's a gamble.....you could wait and get lower, but probably not much-most likely waiting could result in higher price. I agree that almost always will get price on the airline website opposed to a travelocity or expedia. Also even if you can get a lower fare with a priceline,expedia,etc you may run into problems if you voluntarily or involuntarily have to make changes to itinerary once ticketed.

FlyCaledonian

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:32 am

I found the best price for flying with CO on aa.com!
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Av8rDAL

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:34 am

Be patient; you've got until June. BOI isn't exactly a market in which there is a lot of competition, so your prices aren't going to be that great. For the price you'll probably end up paying, you could probably go to Europe as well.

Sign up for all the fare-alert emails from the major airlines like UA, DL, NW, CO, AA, etc. They usually send out a weekly list of cities that go on sale either on a week's notice or by way of giving you a month or two notice for a window of maybe 2 or 3 weeks for the valid fares.

Also- searching Travelocity by "best fare" gives you a good idea of the dates on which the fare you pick is valid. Then, go to the website of the airline that is offering the fare and design an itinerary within those dates. Your fare will be approx. 5-10 bucks cheaper due to the markup that Travelocity, Orbitz, etc add to each published fare sold through their websites. This is what I usually do if I'm planning a trip and I'm flexible.

Good luck.
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

N1641
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:26 am

ya I realize boise is pricey due to the limited market, Im pretty much set with using NWA because I dont care for flying UA, just tried travelocity and found that if I fly out of Columbus instead of DAY I can get a ticket for only $230, pretty good savings since Im going out with my family and will need to buy 3 tickets, most flights are ohio-MSP-BOI, theres some that take you through SEA also, if it was just me and the wife I'd go for as many hops as possible but bringing small chidren gate to gate seems like a pain because I'll be lugging a car seat too.

ASBOIRR

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:33 pm

DAY, at least in 02, had slightly less enplanements than BOI. It's probably this route, not BOI. BOI-East Coast generally isn't very cheap, especially from BOI to another small city in the East.