yukimizake

YYZ's New Network - The World's Smartest Airport?

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:23 am

This article about YYZ's new shared networking system was in today's Globe & Mail.

http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040331.wairpo0331/BNStory/Business/
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

captaingomes

RE: YYZ's New Network - The World's Smartest Airpo

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:15 am

Interesting stuff. Of course the article is a very biased and positive review of the capabilities of this new network. I want to see how it works in practice, and if there will be any significant glitches.

The GTAA says the network is expected to increase passenger volume by 15 per cent to 25 per cent.

Hmmmmm, not sure where they derive this from, but I don't think a network in a terminal by itself will account for an increase in 15 to 25 percent more passengers.

[Edited 2004-03-31 19:17:48]
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

captaingomes

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:49 am

Does anybody else think a new network will singlehandedly increase passenger volume by 15 to 25%? Without taking other factors into account? GTAA claims it will.

Using 2002 as a reference, with 26,000,000 passengers that year, and a 15% increase in passengers, which is the lower end of GTAA's estimated increase in passenger flow as a result of the new network, the airport will see at least an additional 3,900,000 passengers per year. I have a hard time believing that. In order to get increases like that across the board, there must be very significant cost savings passed on to the operaters and hence the consumers. With YYZ being something like the 10th most expensive airport in the world, they'll be lucky to see any increase in the number of passengers, nevermind 15 to 25% more because of the new network.

OK, my little rant is over. No disrespect at all to Yukimizake. It was a great piece of news. I just want to get some discussion going on this matter.  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

yukimizake

RE: YYZ's New Network - The World's Smartest Airport?

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:42 pm

Captain,

I agree with you, I don't see how a new network could have a direct impact on increasing passenger demand. For all the billions spent on T-New and the associated increases in landing fees to the airlines I'm sure the GTAA feels the need to point out the some of the benefits. This could be what is behind their claim of increased passenger demand.

The technology behind it sounds interesting. They say that it will mean a more seamless experience for air travellers, well I'm looking forward to seeing if this is the case when I fly out of there next Wednesday.

Skywatcher

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:51 pm

I would think that wireless networks would offer a better solution if an airport wanted to upgrade their data network at this point.
With telrcommunications equipment, costs are decreasing while capabilities are rapidly increasing.The GTA is using 3 year old technology. That's not state of the art in telecom.

captaingomes

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:34 pm

Yukimizake, make sure you do a trip report for this site! I'm curious to see trip reports out of the new terminal once it opens.

yyz717

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:44 pm

I'm curious to see trip reports out of the new terminal once it opens.

Hmmm. Why?  Big grin

Enter new terminal. Check in. Fly away. What would you expect to be different about flying out of Tnew than any of the other 6000 terminals worldwide?

Maybe I'm cynical. I like new terminals from an architectural standpoint, but functionally, they're all the damn same. Yawn. Pass the mustard.

Until Tnew offers nude checkin girls or free back rubs, it's nothing new at all.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

captaingomes

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:48 pm

Maybe I'm cynical. I like new terminals from an architectural standpoint, but functionally, they're all the damn same. Yawn. Pass the mustard.

Exactly Neil. I'm wondering if it's all it's cracked out to be, that's all. And despite being a large, airy and comfortable terminal, I want to see how efficient it will turn out to be for passengers flying in and out of it.

klik

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:55 pm

This "network" is no different to what's in use at every major airport around the world. It mainly focusses on SITA's CUTE network, allowing airlines to log onto any computer at a gate or check-in counter. We do it at Terminal 3 every day.... Maybe it's just something new for Air Canada? I'm not too sure how things work in T2/T1.

How will it get rid of lines? Or long walks to gates? I mean, does this new system have a teleportation device? I don't see what all the hype is about... Maybe the Globe hasn't been to any other terminal in the whole world but T2 at YYZ...

Best,

klik

yyz717

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:59 pm

And despite being a large, airy and comfortable terminal, I want to see how efficient it will turn out to be for passengers flying in and out of it.

I bet it won't be more efficient. Just a nicer setting.

An airport terminal should be an architectural "Welcome" to the city. It should be grand. I do not expect to whisk to my gate any faster.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

yukimizake

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:09 pm

I like the sound of nude check in girls and free back rubs, that would definitely increase passenger demand at YYZ.

airbusfanyyz

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:43 pm

I am flying out of T1 New Apr 18th looking forward to the experience.

For us frequent flyers out there T1 New is something to get excited about! For the occasional traveller I assume it means quite little as they are not in it enough to attention or lack thereof to important details.

As far aas the the network helping increase pax volumes, I can only assume that the GTAA means in attracting additional carriers to YYZ. New carriers will have less capital expenditures I presume than before? My $0.02

Cheers,
Kaz

AWspicious

Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:38 pm

"Until Tnew offers nude checkin girls or free back rubs, it's nothing new at all."

Perhaps someone should contact Richard Branson. Maybe he, together with the bikers err... I mean businessmen who own some of the adult entertainment establishments could develop a business plan... eh Mr. 7?
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!