copaair737

Potential New AA Routes

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:28 pm

What are some new AA routes you guys could see come to frutation? I could see the following
SFO-FLL (strong possiblity, heavily rumored)
DFW-BIL (oil business)
SJC-LGW (supplementing BA's SFO flights)
MIA-FCO (fashion industry)

Please feel free to add more if you wish
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

scottysair

RE: Potential New AA Routes

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:38 pm

My guess that would likely with new service from FLL-SFO anytime soon and we'll shall look see into the future.  Smile

us330

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:42 pm

DFW-BIL will not nor ever happen. If oil business was so crucial, than Continental would already be flying to Billings from Houston, which they aren't. Besides, Billings is not a major oil center.
AE already tried DFW-BOI and it didn't work, so i don't see any possibility of this happening.

Mikey711MN

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:45 pm

If anything, my guess is that AA service would be added to medium-sized markets that are for now only served by the AE RJ's.
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

copaair737

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:46 pm

possibly BIL-ORD? that may be a possible route, i have heard rumors of it beginning, i guess that we shall see.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

MAH4546

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:03 pm

What are some new AA routes you guys could see come to frutation? I could see the following
SFO-FLL (strong possiblity, heavily rumored)
DFW-BIL (oil business)
SJC-LGW (supplementing BA's SFO flights)
MIA-FCO (fashion industry)

SFO-FLL has been rumoured for a long time. I keep hearing "next summer...next summer". Its one of those rumours that is always strong, but never happens. Hopefully, though, "next summer"...

MIA-FCO would easily fill up the plane, but there is no fashion industry traffic between Miami and Rome. The traffic is between Miami and Milan, which is why Alitalia dropped MIA-FCO a while back in exchange for adding more MIA-MXP flights to meet strong business demand on the route. MIA-MAN or -FRA would happen before FCO, though.

Four new routes you will be seeing this year (all on Eagle):

Miami-Dayton
Miami-Memphis
Dallas-Torreon, Mexico
Dallas-Nassau

As for the Miami area, there are a lot of routes being tossed around. AA is planning a major destination build-up in Miami, which started in mid-2002. AA has added/announced 13 non-stop destinations to Miami since June 2002 and four to Ft. Lauderdale (as well as increasing FLL-LAX capacity four folds). The more likely ones:

Miami-Providence
Miami-Grenada
Miami-Seattle
Miami-San Diego
Miami-Phoenix
Miami-Kansas City
Miami-Valencia, Venezuela
Miami-Manchester, UK
Miami-Cozumel
Miami-Roatan

Also keep an eye out for Ft. Lauderdale-San Jose, CR or Ft. Lauderdale-Guatemala City, especially as Spirit starts getting closer to thier Central American expansion.

Another route rumour I have been hearing lately is Raleigh-Los Angeles, and a handful of new Mexico routes, mainly from Dallas (ORD and MIA will get in on some too, though), thanks to thier new codeshare with MX.

It is all rumours though (except for the first list). We'll just have to wait and see...
a.

JAL777

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:07 pm

The infamous HKG routes. I would really like to see those.

atcboy73

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:52 pm

How about reinstating the STL-SJC service?

qqflyboy

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:59 pm

The company is actively engaged in discussions with the pilot's union to secure changes to the contract to allow for "Ultra long range" flying. The company has said they hope to begin ORD-HKG service sometime in mid-2005. It's not a matter of if, but when. AA already has authority for the route. In the last contract for the flight attendants, a provision for long flights like ORD-HKG was included, and discussions had begun with the pilots. Then 9/11 happened and the talks were put on hold until last month.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

EXMEMWIDGET

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:05 am

Miami-Dayton
Miami-Memphis
Dallas-Torreon, Mexico
Dallas-Nassau

What is the projected start up date for these new routes?

Ealsys1

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:10 am

I'd love to see MIA-FCO!! I don't think I'll have a chance to fly it on a trip that I won for this Summer!! : (

Sam

shlomoz

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:18 am

What about JFK-TLV?

AA still has the rights to it (from the TWA "acquisition") and never excersized it. With LY flying the route 3x daily and CO flying EWR-TLV twice daily (just reinstated the second daily) and with airlines like LH flying using twice daily 744's and/or A340's as feeders into FRA for its ongoing connections to the U.S. - this is obviously a very profitable market. Whay wouldn't AA throw a couple of 777's (or 763's) at TLV?

ncflyer

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:24 am

RDU has sure been getting a nice build up from AA, whatever happened to RDU-SJC (or was it SFO) that was in the works prior to 9/11. How about more RDU to Florida routes, such as Fort Myers. RDU-MSY. I'm trying to think which Midway routes were the most successful. Even RDU-ATL, ATL is such a major business center for RDU that I could see AA wanting to round out its business portfolio out of RDU.

pera

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:25 am

I hope they will come back to ARN in the future!

HUYfan

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:27 am

MIA-MAN
LAX-MAN
LAX-AMS
DFW-AMS

Regards

Mike

ckfred

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:39 am

In some ways, AA is very adverse to risk. Even though TWA had, at one time, an extensive route network in the Middle East, I don't see AA resuming flights into that part of the world until there is some sense of peace.

My guess is that when the new terminal is finished at JFK, there will be some expansion of service to European destinations.

I would also expect to see some continued growth at STL as the economy picks up. WN seems to be focusing its energies on growing its PHL operations.

Finally, I think there will be more growth once AA is financially able to buy replacements for the Fokker fleet. What the replacement will be has been discussed on other threads, but when AA finds a suitable two-class aircraft that can be flown profitably, then it will start flying routes that have been turned over, wholly or partially, to Eagle.

mia

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:49 am

Hola. I wanted to point out that AA used to to MIA-FCO or MIA-MXP on a seasonal basis but we havent seen that again since September 2001. I think the new destinations sound cool. I hope Aeropostal (ALV) is able to compete against American in all three of its gateways to Miami. I think American should look into its backyard. Florida is an untapped market that Delta controls. Intra-Florida flights are overpriced and if American realized that more people would fly to Miami as a gateway with cheaper fares they would sell out their intra-florida airplanes. I know TLH-MIA is a big market that NEEDS to be tapped, is crying to be tapped, and customers request that it be tapped. I think that a cool destination from Miami would be Portland, Maine; at least seasonal service. US and UA seem to sell a lot to Florida, not to count the college population in Maine (Bowdoin, Bates, Colby, USM, etc). Another cool flight from Miami would be a non-stop to Lansing. Airlines need to become cutthroat and compete for christ's sake. Stop giving each other niche markets and compete!
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

aa777flyer

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:58 am

I keep hearing that we will begin ORDHKG spring 05.

As far as SJCLGW, dont hold your breath, I doubt we will ever see this. AA did apply after the Reno Air merger for this route but did not get it. Since then AA has dramatically cut capacity at SJC, and I dont think they could make the flight profitable. There just is not enough O/D traffic or feed since AA has dramatically cut capacity.

I have heard though several times AA will DROP the SJCNRT route in the fall.

AA cannot add to much LONG HAUL capacity, at this time we just dont have enough airplanes, and with no new deliveries till 2007, at the earliest, any new long haul routes will come at the expense of others.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

FlyPIJets

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:08 am

Regarding RDU-SJC, LAX, SFO, et al.

The plans were for RDU-SJC not SFO, Research Triangle - Silicon Valley express. This route is one of those is it or is it not a good idea routes. Seems testing the waters is about all anyone wants to do. SWA use to fly one stop RDU-MCI-SJC. Midway flew SJC and we know how Midway ended up. AA use to fly it one-stop. DL now flies it one-stop. And NW and HP fly it one-stop eastbound only. Wonder what O&D is for this city pair?

RDU-LAX is another is this a good idea or not route. Midway planned it (not sure if it was ever implemented) Seems to me, AA use to fly a 767/757 one stop LAX-DFW-RDU and timed it with the RDU-LGW flight. This route is an on going rumor. I'd like to see the O&D on the city pairs. See if the rumor is warranted.

[Edited 2004-04-02 17:15:47]
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

Spike

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:27 am

1. ORD to the BANK?
2. Hanger 3 to Hanger 1 for a re-spray, re-think, on the UA colour scheme.
3. ORD - Kabul (KBL?) to facilitate a much needed airlift.
4. Chicago to Ho Chi Minh City (ORD-HCM) vfr flights  Smile
5. Chicago - Narita - Chongqing (it would make money).

Spike.

flymunich

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:34 am

New Route for summer 2005 or 2006:

DFW - MUC ? ? ?

or

Lufthansa MUC - DFW ? ? ?

MAH4546

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:11 am

Hola. I wanted to point out that AA used to to MIA-FCO or MIA-MXP on a seasonal basis but we havent seen that again since September 2001.

American never flew non-stop between Miami and Italy. They offered daily one-stop service MIA-ORD-MXP for a very long time, though that was it.

Miami-Dayton
Miami-Memphis
Dallas-Torreon, Mexico
Dallas-Nassau

What is the projected start up date for these new routes?

MIA-DAY and MIA-MEM on 02Dec04, IIRC. DFW-TRC on 1 August 2004 and DFW-NAS around 1 July 2004. The last two still need government approval.

What about JFK-TLV?

I'd think they'd be better off trying MIA-TLV. Market is way underserved with only two weekly El Al flights. Though we won't be seeing them in Tel Aviv anytime soon.

RDU has sure been getting a nice build up from AA, whatever happened to RDU-SJC (or was it SFO) that was in the works prior to 9/11.

It was not prior to 9.11. The route was announced in late 2002 for a 2 March 2003 start. It never started.

I would also expect to see some continued growth at STL as the economy picks up

STL growth will be very minimal, if any. Miami and Dallas will see the most growth. Plans are for Dallas to add about 15-20% more flights and Miami will go from the current 240 or so daily flights to about 330-350 dailies in 2007.
a.

STT757

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:19 am

AA still has a outstanding judgement against them in Israel, Israeli courts have decided AA is liable for judgements won against TWA on behalf of fired workers in Israel.

Unless AA settles (pays up) this multi Million dollar judgement they are going to avoid flying to Israel, if they did the first plane they flew there would be confiscated and sold to pay the judgements against them.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

MAH4546

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:25 am

Does any one in their right mind go to Tel Aviv?

That's a pretty stupid question. Of course people go to Israel. This summer, Continental Airlines is adding a second daily EWR-TLV while El Al is nearly doubling YYZ-TLV capacity and upgrading MIA to 744s.
a.

VectorVictor

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:29 am

Miami will go from the current 240 or so daily flights to about 330-350 dailies in 2007.

I certainly hope by the date indicated that it will include nonstop San Antonio-Miami flights.

MAH4546

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:31 am

I certainly hope by the date indicated that it will include nonstop San Antonio-Miami flights.

Most likely will, probably operated by ERJs.
a.

scottysair

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:24 am

Hey MAH4546,

Are you still have anything expansion out of MIA anytime soon with AA flights? How? I am still answer with your question about of AA future expansion out of MIA to FCO, MXP, AMS, MAN. Also, what are all about with domestic flight will take chance additional new nonstop. Well, talk ya later!

Scott W.

rjpieces

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:24 am

Are you joking Spike?

There is huge O&D demand between NYC and TLV as well as other US cities to TLV.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:36 am

Chicago - Narita - Chongqing (it would make money).

First of all, AA doesn't have rights to serve the PRC mainland

Secondly, there's no way at this point China nor Japan would agree to 5th freedom for AA, even if they could serve the country.

Chicago to Ho Chi Minh City (ORD-HCM) vfr flights

Ho Chi Minh's code is SGN, HCM is in east Africa  Big grin

Also, AA's Pacific 772ERs would be just about the worst possible configured aircraft for making money on vfr flights.

[Edited 2004-04-02 20:37:07]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

scottysair

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:37 am

Yes, it is always full flight from JFK/EWR-TLV on LY. It is already competition of LY and they already did make codeshare with LX from TLV-ZRH-JFK or DFW. It would make connecting with United States flights.

ckfred

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:49 am

What I would like to see is added service from YYZ, YUL, and YHZ to Florida, particularly MIA, FLL, and MCO. If CanJet and JetsGo can fly to Florida from eastern Canada, AA ought to give them some competition.

I would also like to see seasonal service out of ORD to BDA and YHZ.

UA744KSFO

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:56 am

Yeah, even if you have full flights to TLV from the NYC area, that doesn't mean that any of the passengers are sane!

Spike

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:57 am

Concordeboy: Ho Chi Minh City is more often than not HCM on your baggage tags rather than SGN.

Maybe in the US they still believe its called Saigon? Similar to AF using PEK for Beijing rather than BJS. But how many airlines still use BOM for Mumbai?

Whatever.

anxebla

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:14 am

Maybe DFW-MAD non-stop?
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

carnival air

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:15 am

This is no joke. Why don't they expand there Caribbean service from San Juan? Maybe start European flights:

From SJU to:
CDG (4 x week)
LHR/LGW (either) (5 x week)
Frankfurt (2 x week)
MAD (4 days in Iberia 3 in AA? maybe continuing on to Seville or Barcelona? Maybe nonstop flights to those destinations?)
Somewhere else in Europe
Somewhere in Canada
Mexico City (5 x week)
Cancun (3 x week)
Buenos Aires (3 x week)
Santiago de Chile (2 x week)
Rio de Janerio/Brazilia (3 x week)
Aguadilla on Eagle or through a Cape Air code share(2 x day)
Ponce through a Cape Air Code Share
By the way...why doesn't Cape Air fly to Vieques or Culebra???
Eagle to Vieques (2 x day)
Charlotte (1 x day)
Denver (competing against United 2 x week)
San Francisco (3 x week)
ATL (3 x day)
St. Louis (1 x day)
Lima (2 x week)
BOgota (2 x week)

Aguadilla (BQN) and/or Ponce to:
BOS (4 x week)
ORD (2 x week)
NYC (maybe too much competition)
MIA (1 daily)
FLL? (5 x week)
MCO? (5 x week)

afay1

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:24 am

AA opened an office in Moscow awhile ago, so other than tracing lost bags, they must be planning a launch of a route to SVO or DME...

LambertMan

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:26 am

Ckfred, I would like to see some STL expansion, but in all likelyhood they will slowly continue to add flights back, similar to what they are doing right now. As it's looking more and more everyday that F9 may make an investment in STL, the scenario could be way different. Look for STL-DTW/SJC for new routes.

MAH4546

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:40 am

This is no joke. Why don't they expand there Caribbean service from San Juan? Maybe start European flights:

From SJU to:
CDG (4 x week)
LHR/LGW (either) (5 x week)
Frankfurt (2 x week)
MAD (4 days in Iberia 3 in AA? maybe continuing on to Seville or Barcelona? Maybe nonstop flights to those destinations?)
Somewhere else in Europe
Somewhere in Canada
Mexico City (5 x week)
Cancun (3 x week)
Buenos Aires (3 x week)
Santiago de Chile (2 x week)
Rio de Janerio/Brazilia (3 x week)
Aguadilla on Eagle or through a Cape Air code share(2 x day)
Ponce through a Cape Air Code Share
By the way...why doesn't Cape Air fly to Vieques or Culebra???
Eagle to Vieques (2 x day)
Charlotte (1 x day)
Denver (competing against United 2 x week)
San Francisco (3 x week)
ATL (3 x day)
St. Louis (1 x day)
Lima (2 x week)
BOgota (2 x week)

Aguadilla (BQN) and/or Ponce to:
BOS (4 x week)
ORD (2 x week)
NYC (maybe too much competition)
MIA (1 daily)
FLL? (5 x week)
MCO? (5 x week)

Aguadilla to Miami and/or New York City would work. I would not rule them out in the future. The rest are not happening.

You might not think it is a joke, but most of those routes would never work. SJU-GIG? You have to be kidding yourself to think that would every work.

Also, DEN-SJU to "compete with United"? United does not fly DEN-SJU.

Atlanta? Charlotte? Never happening.

Mexico City and Cancun have a shot, especially with the new MX codeshare. Vieques is actually very likely, and I keep hearing that. That's about it from your list, though.

What I would like to see is added service from YYZ, YUL, and YHZ to Florida, particularly MIA, FLL, and MCO.

The problem is yield. Outside of MIA-YYZ/YUL/YVR, yield is pretty weak. A lot of Florida-Canada service is on lowfares and charters. And you won't be seeing them flying MCO/FLL-Canada. Maybe some MIA-Canada expansion, but I can't see that going farther than MIA-YOW and maybe a winter MIA-YHZ service.
a.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:05 am

Ho Chi Minh City is more often than not HCM on your baggage tags rather than SGN.

And what negligent airline would this be???

I know of none who places the specific identifier of Ell, Somolia on another city's (on another continent) baggage-- and that's probably because no such airline exists.  Big grin

Maybe in the US they still believe its called Saigon?

Nice try, but you've only managed to compound your display of utter ignorance to the topic at hand:
....when last I checked, the IATA drafted the city's designation, not the USA  Laugh out loud

Similar to AF using PEK for Beijing rather than BJS. But how many airlines still use BOM for Mumbai?

Are you *truly* so dimwittedly prideful as to defend a simple and reasonable error (i.e., you thinking that the IATA code HCM had anything to do with Vietnam) as correct, by comparing it to these such cities?

If you must know:
BJS is the city-wide code for all Beijing airports, PEK is the specific code for Capital International Airport.

The names of the following cities: Mumbai, Chennai, Ho Chi Minh, Guangzhou, etc; have all changed politically... but their IATA designators remain as they were.

Leneld

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:08 am

PDX-JFK possibly......

dutchjet

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:26 am

One of the posts above suggests a major expansion out of SJU. Its interesting, AA long ago had planned to develop a major international hub at SJU - with flights to central, south american cities and european cities. This was before AA had a significant operation at MIA - AA picked up much of its route authorities out of MIA from the bankruptcy of Eastern Airlines. AA built on this, developed a major hub at MIA, and basically lost interest in SJU; the theory was that MIA and SJU would just compete against eachother.

AA maintains has many flights in and out of SJU, and some feeder service to other caribbean islands, but even though AA is the dominant carrier at SJU, it never really developed SJU into large hub or a gateway to Latin America.

bartond

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:33 am

I'm with you FlyMunich - I would think that Lufthansa would want DFW-MUC more than it would DFW-FRA. MUC is building up that hub so you can connect to alot of places, just like you can at FRA, plus DFW is so tech-heavy that it seems like these cities would match up great. Plus, for those pax not on business, MUC is a much more desirable location for leisure travel.

Seems to me it would work better to let AA have DFW-FRA and have LH take DFW-MUC. Just a thought.

ORDagent

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:43 am

QUOTE:

Concordeboy: Ho Chi Minh City is more often than not HCM on your baggage tags rather than SGN.

Maybe in the US they still believe its called Saigon? Similar to AF using PEK for Beijing rather than BJS. But how many airlines still use BOM for Mumbai?

Whatever.

:UNQUOTE

IATA code for Ho Chi Minh is still SGN Mumbai is also still BOM. These codes are still used on all the major res systems and if an airline chooses to modify the code it better not be on any interlne or common use baggage system scanners as the bag will never make it to the final destinatation.

Just my little nit to pick!

Andrew

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:45 am

Perhaps a Saturday SJU-MSY would work

scottysair

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:48 am

Do you need anything else with future expansion out of SJU?

ywg777

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:05 am

Id like to see AA more in Canada. They could start DFW-YEG and DFW-YWG routes. AA needs also to start YHZ-LGA or JFK. I can see these routes doing well.

Shawn

MAH4546

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:14 am

AA needs also to start YHZ-LGA or JFK. I can see these routes doing well.

Thrice-daily JFK-YHZ starts in June.
a.

upsmd11

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:14 am

With AA starting MIA - DAY service and MIA - IND service I wonder if they will ever consider MIA - SDF service? SDF is now the 16th largest metro area in the country. But maybe IND and DAY are too close.

John

elwood64151

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:21 am

I wouldn't expect to see many new AMR-owned companies adding routes anywhere, except for Eagle to take over mainline routes. Maybe you'll see increased frequencies, but that's about it. Any new routes will be for the express purpose of moving passengers more efficiently, and will probably cannibalize from other routes.

AA simply isn't in a position to add new routes for any other reason unless they completely reinvent their operations. I just don't see that happening.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

MMEPHX

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Bring back ORD-BHX!!