MAH4546
Topic Author

Santa Barbara Airlines To MIA In June

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:32 am

Santa Barbara Airlines is planning to commence service to Miami on 16 June 2004. Service will be operated by TransMeridian Airlines. It is still unclear if it will be regularly scheduled or a scheduled charter service, but I am hearing one daily each to Caracas and Maracaibo. I'll keep you guys updated, but they did file a DOT renewal today:

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.cfm?documentid=275466&docketid=8448
a.

LatinPlane

RE: Santa Barbara Airlines To MIA In June

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:49 am

Great news! It seems to me, that they intend on becoming Venezuela's flag carrier. Wish them all the best.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

LatinPlane

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:59 am

I think that they want to start scheduled service to MIA. The market is definitely there, especially if they decide to do Ft. Lauderdale instead of MIA. South Florida has definitely become the most popular destination for Venezuelan's who are leaving their country in search of a better opportunity to live and work.

Smile LatinPlane

Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

mia

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:16 am

I thought Santa Barbara had rights to Fort Lauderdale not Miami but I am glad that Venezuelan companies have faith in the country and are investing in their own future. I hope Venezuelans will use their own companies instead of American.

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

chepos

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:29 am

Hello everyone
I totally understand the FLL aspect over MIA but that could be tricky, people in Venezuela would recognize Miami right away but they might get confused with Ft. Laurderdale and not visualize it as a South Florida gateway.But FLL has its advantages over MIA, the airport is not as crowded- it's much more user friendly than MIA, and they would only have direct competition from AA at FLL. In MIA they would have AA, Aeropostal,and Lan as competition.
Im guessing the equipment used would either be TMA's 757's or 727's ?

Chepos  Smile
Fly the Flag!!!!

scottysair

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:35 am

It is always very good news for Santa Barbara begin service to MIA. It would be perfect for customers.  Smile

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:17 am

I thought Santa Barbara had rights to Fort Lauderdale not Miami

They have rights to fly to both. Before 9.11, they were planning to launch Ft. Lauderdale. Though now they are planning to launch Miami, with Ft. Lauderdale possibly coming on later.

I totally understand the FLL aspect over MIA but that could be tricky, people in Venezuela would recognize Miami right away but they might get confused with Ft. Laurderdale and not visualize it as a South Florida gateway.

There is no confusion. Venezuelans know very well that Ft. Lauderdale is in South Florida.

the airport is not as crowded

FLL's T4 is becoming way overcrowded. Way too many international flights are being added (which is a very, very good thing), though, as a consequence, the terminal is getting too busy.
a.

scottysair

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:00 am

These load factors are doing good with CCS-FLL and it is always full flight on their way to CCS. Is that should need to make expansion added second daliy anytime soon? I am still waiting to hear about getting any with those news from AA.

Regards!