copaair737

Best Route To Brazil?

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:31 pm

im planning on taking a vacation to Rio de Janeiro this summer, and I was wondering what airline would be the best one to take down there from SFO. What are some suggestions?

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

EddieDude

RE: Best Route To Brazil?

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:03 pm

Northern Hemisphere's summer, right?

I would say this is the best itinerary:

AA 442 SFO-MIA 13:00-21:30
AA 905 MIA-GIG 23:15-08:35(+1)

AA 980 GIG-MIA 22:15-05:48(+1)
AA 431 MIA-SFO 08:20-11:01

You have other options too, though:

UA SFO-MIA and then RG MIA-GRU-GIG (same plane).

MX SFO-MEx and then RG MEx-GIG with a stop in GRU (same flight number, though). MX still has a codeshare with RG despite its departure from Star Alliance so you can buy the whole trip from MX.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

LJ

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:09 pm

Note that if you travel MIA-GRU-GIG you probably have to clear customs at GRU.

MAH4546

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:19 pm

Though also note that Varig re-starts non-stop MIA-GIG service this summer. Operates Thursday through Sunday. Unlike most flights to deep South America from the US, however, it will operate during the daylight. Service resumes 17 June 2004.
a.

santosdumont

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:12 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Varig, but check out their flights from LAX to GRU; it'll save you a trip to MIA.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

NIKV69

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:48 pm

Yes definately, I would take VARIG over AA any day. Check VARIG's web site they have some great internet deals!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Brasuca

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:18 pm

You have the option to come to Brazil with through the following USA's cities:

• Los Angeles - Varig (GRU/GIG)

• Miami - Varig/TAM/American Airlines (GRU/GIG)

• Houston - Continental (GRU/GIG)

• Dallas - American Airlines (GRU)

• Atlanta - Delta (GRU)

• Chicago - United (GRU)

• New York - Varig/Continental/American Airlines (GRU/GIG); JAL (GRU)

• Boston (via Washington) - United (GRU/GIG)

• The best airline among all these is by far TAM they fly A330 in this route.
    I suggest you that you don't go to any other country for connecting flight, whether you are american citzen or not, since you are already in the USA, you'd rather go to Miami, then taking a flight to RIO...
    As for prices, you rather really have to check them...

Boa viagem!!!
     Smile
    Varig, Varig, Varig

MAH4546

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:11 am

I'm not a huge fan of Varig, but check out their flights from LAX to GRU; it'll save you a trip to MIA.

Saves a trip to MIA, but means a connection in GRU. The only way to fly between SFO and GIG with only one stop is connecting in Miami.
    a.

peteinmiami

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:28 am

I flew a year ago to Rio from Miami, with TAM, great flight, great plane, great service, smooth connection at GRU, and I cleared customs in Rio, not GRU, so it was a really smooth trip!!! I recommend TAM over any other airline flying to Brazil from the US and they are just adding a second daily flight to GRU from MIA

mia

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:28 am

Brasuca! WOW. Nice work! I would tell Copa that if you want to make your trip cheap you find which gateway would be cheapest for you. I would recommend you take Varig since they have proven quality in service and I have family that works for them. A suggestion on a cheap route is to get something cheap into Fort Lauderdale (I dont know which discount carrier flies there from SFO) and taking Tri-Rail down to MIA (http://www.tri-rail.com/ picks you up at FLL and drops you off at the terminal) and taking Varig to Brazil. Another suggestion would be to get a cheap fare to Mexico City and doing GRU from there. I do not know if the LAX flight is costly but, that might be a good choice. Varig has an bargain thingie on their homepage (http://www.varigbrasil.com/english/). IF you need more suggestions or help on transfer in FLL-MIA dont mind sending me a message.
    "Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

MAH4546

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:31 am

Boston (via Washington) - United (GRU/GIG)

The BOS-IAD-GRU flight is the same flight number, but you board an A320 in Boston, and then have to get off the plane and switch terminals in Dulles. It is not a true direct service.
    a.

peteinmiami

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:53 am

MiA "I would recommend you take Varig since they have proven quality in service and I have family that works for them."

Had you flown VARIG lately? Their service is by far behind TAM and also the financial trouble the company has right now have a toll on the moral of the flight crews and last but not least they keep canceling flights or changing schedules as crazy, last time I flown VARIG they cancelled my flight twice and then I have to stay an extra night in Sao Paulo because they moved my flight from a night one to a morning one and let's not talk about customer service!!!

mia

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:58 am

Well. Sir. I know Varig is going through trouble but I also happen to know that they are trying really hard to fix those problems. I know about the cancellations and it was mainly because too many of their aircraft went into maintenance at the same time. Those problems are isolated and not an everyday occurrence. If we are going to talk about employee morale then I wouldnt fly American, United or Delta. I happen to know that they have fixed these problems. From personal experience, US carrier employees have always treated me like trash even in pre-september 2001; so, Ill take a Latin American carrier anytime over a U.S. carrier if I can help it.
    "Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

Corpsnerd09

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:40 am

suggestion on a cheap route is to get something cheap into Fort Lauderdale (I dont know which discount carrier flies there from SFO) and taking Tri-Rail down to MIA (http://www.tri-rail.com/ picks you up at FLL and drops you off at the terminal) and taking Varig to Brazil

I take the tri-rail everyday since I work at FLL and live near MIA (go figure) and I wouldn't recommend anyone to take the tri-rail for connecting flights unless you arrive in the morning and depart at least 5-6 hours or more later. It's the same thing as taking a flight which arrives three hours before your cruise, any delay could impare your chances at making it (how much of that I've seen!).

In the 6 months I've taken the train to work I've seen at least 30 - 40 upset people because of missed connections due to missing the last train, and/or train delays. Tri-Rail is currently under construction and has a lot of delay and even some train cancellations.

Also, on weekends the train passes by every two-three hours and the southbound is ALWAYS late. If I were going to connect in South Florida I'd pay the extra $50-$60 bucks to fly into MIA and save the $75 you could wind up paying for taxi (and/or the $100 for a sked change, and the $90 for a hotel... these are estimates).
    If you really want to do it, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll make excuses.

copaair737

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:27 pm

Three options stand out to me.

1. via LAX on RG. This route seems really promising, as I am familiar with LAX and the TBIT. I could also leave the day before and spot.
    2. via JFK on AA and JL. This presents a unique opportunity to fly a Far-Eastern carrier between North and South America. I hear JL has good service.
    3. via MIA on RG or TAM. I like the spotting at MIA, and I could leave the day before to get a few rays on Miami Beach so I don't get totally burned in Brazil.

Thank you all for your input.

-Copa

Motorhussy

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:58 pm

Hey Copaair737,

Take an AA/QF flight from SFO-LAX-AA), New Zealand">AKL and...

...have a great break in New Zealand for a while.

Then take the QF/LA flight from AA), New Zealand">AKL-SCL-GIG...

...and have that wild Rio trip you always planned.

Then rest your weary head and body on the AA flight from GIG-DFW-SFO...

...and have an even better trip and memories than you thought possible, plus a whole lotta extra oneWorld air miles!

Happy trails
    MH

come visit the south pacific

Motorhussy

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:00 pm

P.S. I don't know why the coding for Auckland makes it come us as AA), New Zealand"> when I write it in.

A glitch in The Matrix?
    come visit the south pacific

copaair737

Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:52 am

Motorhussy- That sounds great. I would have to see all the particulars for it, but that really sounds like a whole lot of fun. I have always wanted to go to AKL, and maybe I could arrange a stop over in Tahiti and/or Easter Island, as the LA flight goes AKL-PPT-Easter Island-SCL, doesn't it?

-Copa

EMBTucano

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:43 am

Copaair737,

here a suggestion try to visit also the beaches in N, NE like Salvador , Bahia
    and Fortaleza, Ceara.

It is way less crowded than Rio and million times less violent.

You will have good times for sure. But remember, you have to go back
    to real life..  Smokin cool
    ---- Use GNU/LINUX and be free! ----

copaair737

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:10 am

I have heard that the beaches in the north are spectactular, and that would be a wonderful trip in itself. I am thinking about not only going to Rio, but up the coast as well. I surf too, so finding a good, uncrowded break would be great too.

-Copa

EMBTucano

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:51 am

WOW ..
    if you surf you must go to Fortaleza and Maceio ..
    If you want to contact me for some good surf spots .. send me an e-mail
    I will be glad to help you on that .

Cheers
    ---- Use GNU/LINUX and be free! ----