bunga777

Philippines Or China Airlines

Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:20 pm

I"m planning a trip to Hong Kong in August. I've checked the online ticketing sites, and the cheapest fares appear to be on Asiana, Philippines or China Airlines. Anyone have any comments on these airlines?

Thanks in advance.

AMS

RE: Philippines Or China Airlines

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:14 am

I have flown Asiana Airlines some years ago on a 763 between SEL-FUK, and was quite impressed with their service!, and the food is also good!

unfortunately I did not got a chance to fly CI or PR, maybe some other people can respond to the above airlines.

Regards,
AMS

N754PR

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:48 am

Philippines or Asiana..... forget China Airlines.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

aeroyu

Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:04 am

Here is my choice :

1st - Asiana (good services)
2nd - Philippines (no comment)
3rd - China Airlines (poor safety, perfer do not choose)
Kai Tai - I missed you so much

warren747sp

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:42 am

I believe Hong Kong is PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA now so don't expect them to vote for China Airlines from Taiwan.
747SP

KL808

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:02 am

I would say it will be between PR and OZ forget CI (bad safety record).

I would think that the flight with PR would be faster. therefore i would choose PR (friendly FA's).

drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

CPDC10-30

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:06 am

China airlines apparentley has relativley good cabin service. However, I think it is a crime for anyone to willingly pay money to such an inept company that has killed hundreds of people.

N754PR

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:19 am

Mr. Chu,

Not from Taiwan by any chance? Thats the only reason you could say something so silly. CI have a terrible safety record so don't try and say its got something to do with politics!!

In the past 10 years or so CI have crashed 2 x A300's, 1 x 742, 1 x 744, 1 x 742F, 1 x MD-11...... is that not a good reason not to fly them?? Lets not forget the 742 they ran off the runway in Manila and the A343 that departed from a taxiway!!

Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Carfield

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:35 pm

Well, I think Asiana and China Airlines both have strong cabin services, especially meals and legroom wise -- 34" on their Boeing 747 fleet.
Philippine Airlines simply is bad in terms of cabin service, so I will pick CI and OZ over PR for sure. In terms of inflight entertainment, all these airlines are rather weak. OZ only offers PTVs on Boeing 777s in Y (from SEA and SFO), and CI only offers PTV in Y in Airbus A340s (from JFK, SEA and IAH).

My ranking is
1. Asiana -- you can get UA miles too
2. China Airlines -- due to poor safety record...
3. Phillipine Airlines

Carfield

kalakaua

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:51 pm

Please... Safety record a major issue now? I've flown on China Airlines HNL-MNL several times, and I am still here today. You folks make it sound like they crash their aircrafts everyday!!! Stop over-reacting and over-exaggerating. I bet you haven't even flown on CI yet. CI has above average cabin service compared to PR. And I should know, because I fly to MNL from HNL many times. BTW, from what destination are you flying to Hong Kong?
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

Ryanair!!!

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:55 pm

With all these factors in mind, it would be good to fly a carrier not normally reported on in this forum (eg. PAL) and write a trip report about it. We can then compare them to more established carriers and the juxtaposition is interesting in its own right.

PAL might not be the strongest carrier financially but you have never heard a report about bad cabin service - well, on this forum at least.

While the accidental record of CAL is nothing to be proud of, they are excellent when it comes to in-flight service. I have flown more than a few sectors with them between Singapore and Hongkong and have yet to have a bad flight with them (between 80s-early 90s).
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

alexchao

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:46 am

I would suggest China Airlines or Asiana Airlines.

I've flown China Airlines a couple times, and they offer pretty good service.

Although their safety record is questionable, they are improving.

-alexchao

KL808

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:42 am

Ryanair

I totally agree with you. Nice reply.

Try out PR and you would actually enjoy the flight.

PR offers PTV's on one of their B744. If your lucky. This aircraft I believe is the ex Kuwait jet. N744PR i believe.

drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

warren747sp

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:20 am

N745PR
How many CI crashed happened as a direct result of Hong Kong Airport Authority failing to close the airport during hurricane conditions?
I don't see any thing silly about earlier comment which reflects actual state which we live in.
the moderator on this site said that I can't answer you personally, so there
Mr. ???? of PRC.
747SP

Airbus Lover

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Didn't know N745PR is from PRC  Big grin

Well there are always people saying that CI is improving and I would really hope that it is true because they do have a great cabin service and some pretty decent product esp on their A343s. Thing is everytime you think they are getting better comes another crash. Last one being their B742 on the way to HKG, this is no fault of HKAA. Not to mention near misses such as the A343 taxiway take off at ANC. I really hope there will be an end to this. As such now that I am thinking they are improving, I am afraid not too far into the future comes another hit.

One airline that has won my confidence from this is KE. We have really seen them improving and they have no accidents for quite some time now; very good compared to CI. CI's cycle is improving->crash in 1-3 years time->improving->disaster strikes again->on and on. I hope that the B742 was the last and they will be like KE...

Until a few more years of perfect safety record for CI, I will refuse to fly them.

PA841

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:30 pm

Philippine Airlines is a fabulous carrier to fly on. A340's or B744's over the Pacific. Inflight service which includes the warmth of the Filipino people. You will be addressed as "Sir" or "Ma'am" by the cabin staff. Good food which will not be thrown at you by a grumpy flight attendant. I could go on and on. Have I been on PR recently? You betcha...just last September YVR-MNL.
I don't think they could have gone downhill in the past few months.

bunga777

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:39 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

Ryanair!!!

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:16 pm

If you are tallking about the people, I would agree that the hospitality of the Filipino people would win hands down because it has been proven culturally. PAL was after all "Asia's Sunniest Airline" for a while!

If you have the chance, get your hands on the Mabuhay in-flight mag from PAL. It has one of the cheeriest layouts and copy I have ever encountered on an in-flight mag. This vibrance really reflects on the way Filipinos lead their life, full of colour and music in the face of adversity. Speaking of music, just look at the hotel lounges of the world and tell me you have not seen one with a Filipino band!

Lovely people...

PAL is indeed a colourful airline - like its country.

IWW

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:22 pm

I advise CI. As most people consider, CI has good service in all cabins also on the ground, especially in the Homebase Taipei. Their cabin are perfect, especially in the A340-300.Also, CI do their best to make everything better, include the safety. SQ give them some teach.
I fly with CI in this year more than 20 times, from LAX, BNE, HKG, BKK and so on...The most important result is "I am here". There is NO any accident. They improve their flight safety. If CI did not improve their safety, why Delta (DL), Atalia (AZ) Airlines will have cooperation with CI?
All airlines have their own advantage/disadvantage. We should not only foscus on the disadvantage. Also, no airlines will be the same all the time. Which airlines did not make any mistake in the past? The same for people.
Fly CI one time and you will fly more.

Note: Not all the reasons of all CI crashs are the CI's responsibility. Each crash will have many reasons. It is UNFAIR to put all the reasons on CI.

[Edited 2004-04-06 08:26:14]

[Edited 2004-04-06 08:30:32]

[Edited 2004-04-06 08:33:41]

CX Flyboy

Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:23 pm

Just because an airline has not crashed in the last year, it doesn't mean that they have not improved....just lucky. Does anyone have any proof that they have changed their corporate culture and flight operations department? Didn't think so.

I have friends at China Airlines flying 747-400s and A340s. I have heard plenty of stories to know I will not be stepping on board one of their flights, no matter what the service is.

IWW

Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:59 pm

It also do not mean the airline is fine if it never have any crash.
Do anyone can proof Cathay Pacific, Dragonair...etc..will not crash in this year?
No any report shows the CI will take "ALL" responsibility in "ALL" crashs. Don't put all wrongs on CI. Some people blame CI just for political reasons.

As my experiences in flying with CI, CX, KA, QF, AE, BR, UA, DL, HP...I think China Airlines is worth for people to fly with.

[Edited 2004-04-06 09:59:52]

macmac76

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:47 pm

Well, I have a flight coming up in November of this year...IAH-SEA-MNL and back...can't wait to fly on CI's PTV-equipped A343s!

CPDC10-30

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:36 am

Not all the reasons of all CI crashs are the CI's responsibility. Each crash will have many reasons. It is UNFAIR to put all the reasons on CI.

We're not comparing them to BA, AC or QF - only to other airlines in the same region. Your statement might be true if all other airlines in the region were having similar safety problems, but it simply isn't true. CI has had an ridiculous number of crashes for an airline from a developed country. And yes, Taiwan is essentially a country if anyone wishes to debate me on that  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

All airlines have their own advantage/disadvantage. We should not only foscus on the disadvantage

If that disadvantage is that 758 people have died on that airline in the past 15 years, then I think that outweighs all other possible advantages.

KL808

Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:20 am

Ryanair:

with your great comments, ill add you as a respected user.

drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

kalakaua

Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:56 am

I'm am a Filipino. I am very much certainly a proud one, at that. PAL is certainly my motherland carrier, but I will disown her if PAL doesn't get it's act straight. All my relatives, and my parents, fly PAL just because of it's non-stop service HNL-MNL. I live in Phoenix, now. But my family has flown on JAL, Korean, China to the Philippines, from HNL and EVA from LAX.

Overall, PAL's service was much inferior to the other airlines mentioned before previously. PAL is known to many Filipinos as "Philippines Always Late." And certainly it still is. My relatives who currently reside in Iloilo City, prefer flying on Air Philippines to MNL, just to avoid PAL's infinite streaks of delays, and what not.

I myself have flown on PAL many times as a child to visit friends and folks in the P.I. My mother flown on PAL to start a life anew in the U.S. PAL has a long tradition for many Filipinos. And so it was... But from my relatives, food is still horrible, the cabin still smells like urine, flight attendants are still snobbish, still discriminate, and still LATE!

So for one year in 2000, my family decided to fly on China Airlines. My family didn't know about it's "horrible" safety record and left it up to God and the people of CI to decide whether this aircraft is to land safely and on-time(of course). To our surprise, CI had great cabin service, friendly flight attendants, and great food. Had our oshibori (warm moist towelletes), headsets were free, given free slippers, etc... For a cheap ticket we paid for, CI has given a lot. The only down side was it's 2 connecting flights, in HND and TPE... But we had the same service as we did on our HNL-HND flight.

SAFETY is always striven for in an airline, no matter what. PAL had it's own accidents as well w/ casualties, sadly. And I really doubt that CI wants to crash their aircrafts intentionally as a form of advertisement (as how most of you are saying). Firestone Tires? Cabin service is a luxury nowadays, and CI gives it great but at cheap price for the consumers. PAL is very expensive, yet it's services are not worth mentioning. Most airlines want to be the best, and CI and PR are doing that, but in my opinion, PR is failing at trying. I'm pretty sure that most airlines will talk the talk and will do anything to walk the walk.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

Airbus Lover

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:39 am

Certainly most people know CI have great service. I can't wait to try them out and I know they hav great products.

But I would not step on board one of their aircraft in the next few years until they prove that they have pulled up their socks and cleaned their acts. We can not gurantee that CX would not crash this year. No one can gurantee anything. But guess what? it is confidence in the people. I'd fly CX any day any time, i TRUST them. I have no confident with CI as of yet. I had no confident with KE before but over time they proved they have changed and I flew on their services.

It needs around a decade of clean record to gain my confidence IMHO. Thing with CI is the whole management and corporate culture thing. They have a lot to learn from KE.

IWW

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:57 am

Macmac76 :
I will fly the inangular flight from TPE-IAH on Jun. 22. Maybe I can take some photos for you. Actually, I already have some photos of CI A343 when I fly to BNE with their inangular flight.

Kalakaua :
China Airlines have two not-stop flights a week between HNL-TPE. The aircraft type is A340-300. You can choice them in your next trip. Hope you enjoy it.

Ryanair!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:29 pm

PAL is known to many Filipinos as "Philippines Always Late."

Hahaha... I heard it from my Pinoy friends as "Plane Always Late".

But from my relatives, food is still horrible, the cabin still smells like urine, flight attendants are still snobbish, still discriminate, and still LATE!

Wow... I always knew they weren't on par with their competitors but didn't know they were THAT bad! I myself have had a few wonderful flights with them back in the mid-80s on their "Love Bus" to Manila. My impression of them were always a cheery bunch of people but the complaint of FAs discriminating people from their own country seems to be common among Asian airlines.

iflypal

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:16 pm

Hey Bunga 777

For what it is worth, here is a testimony from one who travels transpacific 9x a year and about 40x intra-Asia.

Ive flown just about all them, (JL, SQ, CX, MH, CI, KE and PR) Contrary to my handle, Im not too attached to PAL. If you want proof, check out my trip reports regarding MH...

Overall, I find the comments about PR pretty harsh, if not misguided. I want to make it clear that Philippine Airlines is not Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, or Japan Airlines. As soon you resign to that, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised with PAL's offering. If you judge a flight simply by how they treat you as a traveller (that includes on the ground, in the air, and then again at arrival), you will find PALs product hard to beat. Ive never been treated any different on PAL as with SQ, CX or JL. Always courteous, always warm, always friendly, and always re-assuring. The Plane Always Late is recycled propaganda thrown in for shi*s and giggles. Ive never had a problem with excessive delays and Ive taken PAL more than two dozen times. Food is always good, plane is always clean, and service is always consistent. Remember, there will always be princesses with unrealistic expectations and who think they deserve to be treated like royalty when in all reality, they are being treated fairly. More often than not, Ive been pleasantly caught off guard by some of the nice gestures and pleasantries extended to me that in the end of the day, make me feel like I am royalty. Heresay can be dangerous and I would take a lot of the comments here with a grain of salt. Where SQs, CX's or JLs of the world shine is in their premium product (ie. First, Raffles, sleeper suites, elaborate lounges etc.). If you are travelling premium, then I would definitely go with those carriers. Otherwise, Economy is pretty much the same with any Asian carrier barring PTVs on some and not on others.

To your original point, OZ, PR or CI... CI offers the most convenience of the the three carriers based on the number of gateways and the number of possible connections from their hub cities. OZ serves the most consistent product across the board, although I have experienced language issues on some flights. I never experienced this with PAL as English is almost the native tongue. If you can say 'Can I please have this, or can I trouble you to have that', I guarantee you will get the service you are looking for. If you want inflight entertainment, its a toss up. PTVs are not consistent at all (some have it in some aircraft, some dont) so its a throw of the dice. If you stack up the main programming however, and not consider execution (big screen in front of the cabin vs PTV), I would give it to PAL. Their Flights of Fancy entertainment programme is pretty impressive for main screen viewing. Food is consistent in all three airlines. It just depends if you have an inclination towards the airlines' home cuisine or if you stick with Western all the time. If you are a steak and potatoes kinda guy, PR will be the airline for you. If you want exotic, Ive had really good meals with CI and OZ. (Bi bim bap on OZ is as they say 'to die for')

That said, its boils down to what aspect of the flight is it that floats your boat. Forget about safety. If you are comfortable with getting in your car day in and day out, you really shouldnt be wasting you time with that one. You can rack your brains with statistics or listen to those who say Airline A has had 5 accidents blah blah, youve just taken a lot of the fun away for flying.

One last thought. If pricing is consistent across the board, I guarantee you will not lose anything by picking one over the other. Its how you approach travel and make the best of what you have. If I had to give you my choice, it would be PR, OZ, and CI in that order. But they are pretty evenly matched. I gave you my opinion based solely on what I value most out of a flight

Good luck and safe travels

hugo

Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:33 pm

Kalakaua, hang loose, man! Those were harsh, unfair and largely untrue comments about PR. I will even say biased...I think Iflypal, despite his handle, has a fair and balanced view of the airline. PR is not perfect, but they more often than not provide a decent product. While hardware can use improvement, their cabin crew are can compare with the best around. Given this and a better safety record than CI, no doubt I will choose PR.

kalakaua

Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:40 pm

Hang loose? Tell me to hang loose? Being originally from Hawai`i, hearing that saying all the time, only lazy people say that... And dude, don't get blinded from the truth. Relatives I know will travel to the Philippines at least twice a year and they will usually fly on PR. When I mean relatives, at least 10 groups with a party of 7. Untrue?

Ha! I look at the truth, and will say it as is... I say it as is. I love PAL... Don't get me started. It flew me back to my motherland many times. And I always looked forward flying on PAL. But during that past few years, it's services still lack the quality. I've tasted it, my family, friends and relatives have as well. And their opinions and mine, agree that PAL needs to improve...

Safety record? Why don't you just fricking shut down China Airlines if you want that to be the overall criteria for a way for an airline to survive. Safety is already implied when an airline is runned. CI knows that... Do you think the pilot's don't care about living as well? Do pilot's think that flying with 300 people onboard is a joke? Do you think CI's take it seriously. I hope so.

CXCPA

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:52 pm

1st Asiana (good service, beaty flight crews)
2nd China Airlines (the safety is improved a lot)
forget about Philippine Airlines (don't want to give comment).

macmac76

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:58 am

Hi IWW,

I'm glad you're flying on the inaugural flight! I heard it's already booked up? Guess what, my airfare for my November flight (IAH-SEA-TPE-MNL v.v.) is only $792.00, round trip. Nothing beats that price out of IAH all the way to MNL. Hey, I'd really appreciate it if you could take some pics...I haven't flown CI before and I'm excited and looking forward to my first flight with them. Would you also care to write up a trip report with the pics on the inaugural flight? THanks in advance...

Kalakua,
I agree that PAL's service is subpar to some of Asia's major airlines...but your comments seem way too overblown. PAL's service is actually not bad. If you compare airfares from LAX/SFO to MNL, PAL is one of the cheapest...and it offers a quality business class product at prices that is lower than most. To me, PAL is a good airline and has one of the best safety records in Asia...as long as an airline can get me from point A to point B safely at a very good price, then I'm 101% satisfied. As far as flying domestically, you can forget about flying Air Philippines or Cebu Pacific...I don't trust their safety record and I will always fly PAL within the Philippines. As long as it can take me safely to my destination, I don't care about delays, service etc...to me, safety is a priority especially flights within the Philippines. I am flying CI, however, in Nov. to the Philippines since it's the most direct and cheapest offering out there out of IAH.

KL808

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:18 am

With regards to 5J I think they have an outstanding product too.

Flights within the Philippines are great with 5J. They have a fun crew.

Though they crashed one of their DC-9's a couple years back I think they have improved their safety a lot.

I last flew them in December on the DVO-CBU-DVO route. Great service.

PR is also great domestically however prices are a bit higher than 5J.

With regards to service, on PR on international routes, I would have to say its ok. Ive flown them many many times, and not once was the service below any other carriers in Asia.

I guess it all comes down to time and place. Yes sometimes airlines get delayed, might it be true that PR is "Pa laging late" or "always late" I doubt it. Yes sometimes they are but your favorite carrier runs late too.

PR is currently trying their best to offer their PAX the best quality service they can give. You also have to understand that the carrier is trying its best to get up there. Yes they don't have PTV'S on all their aircraft but that's not by choice. Philippines (the country) has been given a bad credit by the IMF, therefore its difficult for PR to even get a great loan or a loan at all to upgrade their service or to add more B744 which they need. Their 5th B744 took a while to negotiate and a lot of hassles by the IMF.

In the end, though I hope the best for PR and hopefully we can see a brighter future.

drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

trex8

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:22 am

I don't see how anyone can blame CI for the 742F crash seeing it was only the first of several 742Fs due to Boeings poor design of the engine pylon! At least they didn't wipe out an apartment building and inhabitants like the El Al crash!
The A300 crashes , at least the first one was piss poor luck given there had been several incidents where European A300s almost crashed due to the same flight control problems.
CI has had a horrible record recently but their training is as good as anyones, their ab initio program at N. Dakota won the Flight Intl award some years ago. they essentially get LufthansaTechnik training now. In the 70s, they won Boeings Safety award regularly. But it has been downhill since!
If you want to harp on about safety with big carriers don't fly AA, they can't put an engine properly on a DC10, they can't input navigation data on a 757, they almost fall asleep in MD83s and they probably do crazy things with the rudder on A300s!
Given a choice of the 3 I'd go Asiana

mdwalkman

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:03 am

Well... i am from PRC but don't want to bother bulls**t politics

Go for Asiana because I think they have the most beautiful girls to serve you among those 3 airlines.  Big thumbs up
Please excuse my poor English.

IWW

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:35 am

Macmac76:
You can read the website which recorded my last time in Inaugular flights TPE-BNE-TPE.
Click Here
I took some photos in the Business Class. This time I still will fly to IAH with Business Class and I will go back to take sime photos for the whole cabin. I also will write a article for the inaugular flight. Hope my English is well and you can understand what I say. Ha~
I really hope to see the celebrations in IAH. It is a best experience in BNE.~
The China Airlines Tickets is cheap but they still offer good service. An British Company called "Skytrax Research(http://www.airlinequality.com)" in a research shows that the China Airlines is the 4th in the world of "CABIN STAFF OF THE YEAR 2003". I really hope you can enjoy the service of China airlines.

[Edited 2004-04-08 04:36:46]

hugo

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:53 pm

Kalakaua, if PR was so bad then why do your relatives keep flying them as you mentioned? Yes, there is room for improvement, but as the other members have pointed out, your comments are "seem way too overblown" and "harsh if, not misguided". I am not lazy at all and I still think you should "hang loose". You exaggerate.

LF278

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:03 pm

China Airlines caused more than 600 deaths in the past ten years..

1994 Japan A300 , 264 deaths
1998 Taipei A300 ,about 200 deaths
1999 Hong Kong MD-11 , 3 deaths
2002 Taipei->Hong Kong 747-200 ,225 deaths

I think the safety record of this airline is poor

N751PR

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:19 pm

I never flown CI and OZ so my opinion of those airlines wouldn't be so concrete but I'm sure they are great airlines, disregarding the safety record of CI. Anyways, I flown with PR domestically 5 times and internationally 2 times. I loved the service (although one F/A still owes me a 7UP.... Laugh out loud) , IFE was so-and-so, food was great (see my entries in Airlinemeals.net http://airlinemeals.net/meals/PhilippineAirlines.html look for "Joe Pallon") Like Kalakaua, I am devoted to PR when it comes to flights to the Philippines. And I also agree with him as well that theres a few things that need to be improved. I'll hopefully be flying PR again this year in Mabuhay/Business Class and hopefully it will be a flight to remember. If you choose to fly PAL, thank you. Big thumbs up

[Edited.....wait this post was never edited, this is nothing more than a figment of your imagination. BTW fly PAL Big grin]

[Edited 2004-04-08 12:24:16]
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

macmac76

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:50 am

IWW,
wow, those are some awesome pics! CI's cabin looks clean, bright, and spacious...Do you have pics of the economy cabin? I'll be looking forward to your pics and trip report (and I'll understand it for sure!) on the inaugural IAH flight. I'm so glad CI will start service to Houston as it will provide the most direct service to MNL for me. Thanks again.

IWW

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:26 am

Macamac76:
I will take sime photos about the Economy Cabin in my next trip on A340-300 (I will go to BKK, HKG, BNE in the end of April. I think I can take some of them on the flight between TPE-BNE. They use A343 in this route.) If I do not have chance at this time, I will take some photos on my trip to IAH (Jun. 22)
The report of the inaugular flight will show before Jun. 30.
Hope you enjoy flying with China Airlines.

macmac76

Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi IWW:

Thank you in advance...will look forward to your pics and I hope you have a great inaugural TPE-SEA-IAH flight! Oh by the way, do you have to clear customs/immigration in SEA? or do you do that in IAH? if you do it in SEA, then do you have to recheck your bags again for the flight to IAH?

alexchao

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:43 am

I'm not sure, but for the EVA Air flight from TPE-SEA-EWR, passengers have to re-check their bags so the TSA can inspect the bags.

As for clearing customs in SEA, I have no idea.

IWW: Enjoy the inaugural flight on TPE-SEA-IAH!

-alexchao

KL808

Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:05 am

usually you have to go through customs the first entry point in the United States. so I believe you will have to go through customs in SEA.

drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

IWW

Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:16 pm

Hi All:
I called China Airlines and make all things clear.

a) From TPE-SEA-IAH, we need to go to the immegration counter at SEA and also need to check all of our bags. Surely the flights will wait all customers who continue fly to IAH to finish all the process.

b) From IAH-SEA-TPE, we need to do the process at IAH but not SEA.

c) Take JFK-ANC-TPE for example. Passengers can fly: TPE-JFK (Stop)-ANC (Stop)-TPE in China Airlines. It means that if passengers want to fly JFK-ANC with CI, their whole trip should be with CI.
The most important thing: Passengers need to do the "exit US Process" in JFK and do the "entry US Process" in ANC. (Sorry. I don't know the words to show my meaning...)

Hope we won't take a long time in SEA Customers. I know SEA is one of the busy airports in US, also I heard that it will take more time in cusomters for the finger print.

IWW

Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Macmac76:
For the inaugular flight, there may still have seats. CI don't put all seats for the reservation becuase they need to keep some seats for special people. Also, they did no publish the news to public in Taiwan, and the promotion price (Net Price) did not have final decision at this time.

I found some websites in China Airlines and you can see some information about the aircraft/flights at first.
A343 Economy Class:
Click Here
A343 map:
Click Here
A300-600 map:
Click Here

You will have four meals during your trip. IAH-SEA one, SEA-TPE two, TPE-MNL one. CI offer some meal information on their website. Since there are no information in Economy Class, you can check other class food. It may be similar with the US-TPE flights.
Click Here

Oh I forgot to share my experience. The PTV Game on A343 is good for the long distance flight. (B747 is better than A343~Ha~)

[Edited 2004-04-11 14:53:51]

macmac76

Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:13 am

hi IWW:

thanks so much for the informative post! You're right, I believe that on the flight back, I have to clear customs/immigration in SEA. The point of entry into the US shall be where you will have to clear the entire immigration process, and in this case, SEA. Again, thanks for your info...let me know if you find anything else. Oh and thanks for the meal info as well...I can't wait for my trip!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos