BD1959

UA SYD Passengers Taken To Hospital

Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:25 am

Australian press are reporting ambulances took a number of passengers to Sydney hospitals after the UA flight hit clear air turbulence.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9192914%255E1702,00.html

BD1959

futureualpilot

RE: UA SYD Passengers Taken To Hospital

Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:34 am

I wonder when the lawsuits will start....

Life is better when you surf.

cmckeithen

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:14 am

Yeah. Its like the lady that spilled Coffee in her lap. Well lady 1) you should have known the coffee was hot 2) why would you put something hot in btwn your legs 3) READ the CAUTION CONTENTS HOT label. It's there for a reason.

You fly and oops we had turbulence...lets sue.

futureualpilot

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:21 am

Im also reminded of the lady who sued McDonald's for making her fat....

Some people just amaze me

Anyway, sounds like they will be ok which is good news.

[Edited 2004-04-05 02:21:44]
Life is better when you surf.

Sydscott

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:29 am

I dont think I've ever heard someone sue because of Clear Air Turbulence. They wouldn't have grounds to considering the number of warnings you get to keep your seatbelt fastened and move about the cabin carefully.

The bigger problem would be the people using the toilet at the time they hit the turbulence. That would be a messy problem!!!!

BD1959

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:34 am

SMH states:

A passenger from San Diego, named only as Lauren, said passengers who had been standing or who had been in the toilets had fallen and hit their heads in the incident.

"[We were] sitting there and there was just a huge jolt and it kind of lifted ... seats in the back and it was just kind of major turbulence for a while after that," Lauren told ABC radio.

"[For] people that were in the bathroom, it was a really bad jolt."

- Guess it would have been messy too!!

BD1959

FoxBravo

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:57 am

Sorry to go off-topic here, but some people here need to relax before jumping to conclusions about lawsuits that most likely will never happen.

Cmckeithen, you should read more about the McDonald's coffee lawsuit before you make quick judgments. You'll learn that (1) the coffee was much hotter than it should have been--i.e., much hotter than coffee is typically served--and (2) the old woman suffered severe burns all over her inner thighs and genitalia--by all accounts, it was extremely painful. It was really quite appalling--no one has any reason to expect injuries of that magnitude from a normal cup of coffee, even if it accidentally spills in one's lap. McDonald's was in the wrong, and the whole purpose of tort law is to compensate the victims of such wrongs.

In the McDonald's fat case, by contrast, there was no evidence that McDonald's had done anything wrong. Sure enough, the lawsuit was thrown out. Score another for our justice system. It's not perfect, but it's better than most of what's out there.

Back to the topic, in this case, I doubt anyone will sue, and if they do, I doubt they will be successful--unless it turns out, for example, that the pilot or dispatcher chose to disregard warnings of severe turbulence, or that the crew left the seatbelt sign off despite indications of rough air ahead--neither of which seems likely.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

PER744

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:07 pm

It's intl travel, and I believe under the Warsaw Convention the passengers can't sue as it's not an 'accident' (as per the DVT cases that have been thrown out)

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:51 pm

"McDonald's was in the wrong, and the whole purpose of tort law is to compensate the victims of such wrongs."

Sounds like typical lawyer talk.

Bofredrik

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:02 pm

Air France 747
September 1996: One of the airline's planes was caught up in severe turbulence near Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. Three of the 206 passengers were seriously injured, and one later died. Some of the TV-monitors fell down from the roof...

EK413

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:06 pm

Any explanation as to what is Fin Air Turbulence? ?:-
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

FoxBravo

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:24 am

PER744, "accident" under the Warsaw Convention has been interpreted as "an injury caused by an unexpected or unusual event or happening external to the passenger." Although DVT was deemed not to fall into that category, injuries from turbulence almost certainly would--that is, IF the airline were found negligent (which I doubt, as I mentioned above).

Amwest25, it's easy to criticize lawyers...until you need one yourself.  Big grin
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire