Topic Author

Vasp Or Wasp?

Wed Feb 02, 2000 6:27 am

Sorry, but I have to say this.

Look at VASP, they have told me their service sucks, Brazilians & non-Brazilians alike have said this. There FA's are not good, send luggages to the wrong places, etc. Also, look at VASP's "contributions" overseas...

-Remember Ecuatoriana? I didn't. Until I saw the topic on it, & remembered VASP used to own it. Now...
-Lloyd Aereo Boliviano. I think they have been run to the ground by VASP. What is their identity? They have none, nor do they have a purpose.

Finally, VASP has had the same colors forever, it seems.
Lloyd Aereo Boliviano has the same paint scheme, & so did Ecuatoriana. The colors SUCK, BTW. A really crappy blue & white that looks from the 70's. When will they ever change?
& don't forget they are financially SO bad...
So their you have it. I give praise to airlines when they deserve it (Singapore, Lufthansa, SAS, TACA, Varig, Lan Chile, AeroMex, United, Qantas, etc.), but I also will blast them when they suck (Cubana, Aerolineas Argentinas, Korean Air, TWA, etc.), & VASP is one of them.

I would rather see them go than TransBrasil...

That is why VASP should be called WASP. They sting & hurt everything they touch, including their passengers.

A hell bent in world domination Derico.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

RE: Vasp Or Wasp?

Wed Feb 02, 2000 6:55 am

For your information, VASP (yuck) is making a contest open to all brazilian residents to make a new livery to their company, but the colors remain the same. try
I think they have an english version...

VASP really sucks...  

Julia, Porto Alegre, Brazil

Wed Feb 02, 2000 7:08 am

I only flew VASP once between Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo and I did have carry-on it was ok...but yes I've heard bad cousin (funny story) blames VASP for breaking up his marriage! He is one funny guy...this is what happened...coming back from a vacation from Miami the were on a flight to Sao Paulo and then on to Buenos Aires. The flight was delayed (by the way it was an MD-11) about two hours they take off bound for Sao Paulo. Imagine everyones surprise when they land in I think it was Fortaleza, then Natal, Salvador then finally Sao Paulo...miss the connection to Buenos Aires ofcourse...when they finally do get to EZE they don't have their my cousin said if VASP would have kept their word on a nonstop flight and everything would have gone according to schedule his marriage would have been alright...LOL! That's what we let him think...

I've always liked VARIG...never tried TransBrasil or TAM...any comments on them?

Wed Feb 02, 2000 7:21 am

Comments on TAM and Transbrasil

Transbrasil never caused any trouble with their passengers. Here in Brazil it´s the company that "doesn´t stink and doesn´t smell", in plain english: a regular company

TAM is growing up a lot. But they had their bad moments 4 years ago when their Fokker F-28 100 Friendship crash on a residential area killing all 100 aboard. This crash destroyed their reputation. Flying TAM was asking to make a trip to hell or heaven (depending of your way of life)   Either you risk your life flying TAM or try another company. Then, a year later they had another accident with their Fokker 100: The plane was on a flight from Sao Jose dos Campos to
Congonhas. An explosion caused explosive decompression and a six-foot hole in the side of the fuselage. One passenger was sucked out of the plane and died. A small bomb containing 7 ounces of explosives was placed under a passenger seat. I have pictures of it on some magazines.
Then they recovered their good image by buying modern aircrafts (Airbus). you might want to check their website: worth a visit  

Julie, Porto Alegre, Brazil

Wed Feb 02, 2000 8:03 am

Someone in this forum once mentioned that VASP had misplaced his luggage on a flight to Brazil. He said he would never fly them again. My Brazilian friend called Otto told me he has flown VASP, & that it is the worst of all the Brazilian "big" airlines.

So I guess then that...VASP BLOWS!!    

Wed Feb 02, 2000 8:47 am

THANKS for the info!

AVIA_Arg & CometII

Wed Feb 02, 2000 9:48 am

Anytime you need info on brazilian aviation, just ask me! Also TP343 and Leo-ERJ are here often, of course they know more than me   I think I´m being useful around here    

TAM´s fleet is basically consisted of:
* A330-200
* A319
* Fokker 100
* Fokker 50
* Cessna Caravan

Transbrasil´s fleet contains:
* 5 767-200/ -200ER
* 3 767-300ER
* 9 737-300
* 4 737-400
As the website says, the youngest fleet in Latin America...

I hope this helps  

Wed Feb 02, 2000 10:00 am

Am I the only one who actually likes them??? I flew on them from Toronto to New York, and had no problems. Their service was excellent considering it was just a one hour flight. They were friendly, and the flights were on time both ways, and I did get my luggage. I actually like their colours, and think they have one of the best colour schemes. They have excellent aircraft, and it's too bad that more people don't like them. When it comes to misplacing luggage, ANY airline can do that. To say that an airline has never caused trouble just doesn't make any sense, because there will always be some luggage being sent on a different plane, or whatever. They have a good safety record and get you from point A to B. Just my opinion, but give Vasp a chance...they aren't so bad as everyone tries to make them sound.

Wed Feb 02, 2000 10:09 am

Lucky you...  
VASP is Brazil´s most hated airline, ask any brazilian here and they will answer you the same thing  
Actually luggage misplace happens with all airlines, but not all the time as happens for those who travels with VASP... I´m telling the plain truth!
Just a comment...  

Julie, Porto Alegre, Brazil

p.s.- VARIG was "born" in Porto Alegre  

RE: Lloyd Aereo Boliviano

Wed Feb 02, 2000 10:26 am

I feel sorry for Lloyd Aereo Boliviano; I read that there was a lot of protest in LAB and in Bolivia, everybody very unhappy with the privatization and the Vasp management. They wanted to take control out from Vasp because they denounced they skip on training and other investments.

I flew LAB once before being privatized. It is an excellent airline, its staff very professional and the service impecable. Always on time and both B727 and A310 in pristine condition. Hope Vasp don´t harm this good airline, one of the oldest in South America.
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2000 11:58 am

So it seems most people dislike VASP, & they deserve it.
If VASP changes its ugly paint scheme, & if I hear someone actually LIKING them (sorry, Canadian747400, but a one hour flight from Toronto to New York by a Canadian, specially if you like their livery, doesn't cut it for me as a reliable review), maybe I will change my mind, I always give second chances, sometimes third chances... (sometime fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth chances, sometimes ni...) 

A hell bent in world domination Derico

Alert to all Latins, & anyone else!!: I will come with an announcement soon, if you know me, this announcement may shock you...

I Hate Vasp

Wed Feb 02, 2000 1:17 pm

I never flew them, I was "lucky" enough to work for them in JFK. The worse 4 months of my life.They treat passengers like crap, and employeeslike sh-t! What a nasty, horrible excuse for an airline. I dont know how theyre ibusiness.People should stop givng them business. Those flights were always jam packed! And about them making unscheduled stops...Once VP889 schedule JFK-GRU went JFK-MIA-Fortaleza-Salvador-RIO-SAOIf I recall the MIA flight was on an 8 hour mechanical and only 70 passengers or so, so the JfK flight picked some up in MIA, then Picked up VIP cargo in Fortaleza. Then dropped off some MIA pax in Salvador, continued to GIG instead of GRU due to bad weather, then after 2 hours in GIGfinally made it to Sao Paulo, 7 or so hours behind schedule. They always do that,makes no sense. Another funny flight was again VP889wen to MIA because Ecuatoriana's only DC-10was on a huge delay, Mechanical of course to pick up 130 pax. So it went JFK-MIA-GYE-UIO-GRUanother nightmare flight. So in short if that dosent scare you away from V-ery A-rrogant S-tupid P-eople, I mean VASP, Good Luck on your flight with them. Varig rules!!!!!!

LAB & Ecuatoriana Question?

Wed Feb 02, 2000 1:58 pm

I once read a report in a now defunct magazine called business class flyer or something that LAB was a good airline. I have heard many bad reports that the employees are not happy and sometimes strike or threatend to strike. However, I have heard from some that LAB is a good airline to fly. Ecuatorina, I don't know, but just yesterday I visited their website. I know that Ecuatoriana like Saeta is in not in a good condition due to the economic problems in Ecuador.

As I was reading in your articles I read them as if Ecuatoriana had suspended service. Is this true or is it just my mind?

Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Re: Vasp Or Wasp?

Wed Feb 02, 2000 10:42 pm

I agree that you can't judge an airline by a one hour flight, but just comparing their one hour flight to another airline, it was much better. (Maybe I was just lucky) My father flew on Vasp from YYZ to POA and he also thought their service was excellent that time (although he still prefers Varig too - I never had a chance to fly on Varig).

I'd say give this airline another chance, and if you still hate it, come and blame me!  

Thu Feb 03, 2000 2:00 am

Hello!As you could see, Brazilians definitely don't like VASP at all. Their services are not good, they are the leader when we talk about lost luggage, overbooking and reservation cancellation, and they pass the impression that they are not well managed at all: their network is very weird (flights with several stops and destines flown just 1-2 time/week), their planes are old (despite the 8 MD-11s, which, by the way, one is reported to be abandoned in Guarulhos in order to provide parts to the others, since VASP hasn't international credit anymore and other 2 are going to be returned to the lessor due to debts VASP didn't pay), they always announce products and services that never become true: the creation of Brata (their regional airline), orders for EMB-120s, A310-300s, B737NG and B777, not to mention that their financial condition is always deplorable. It surprises me a lot to know that their punctuality is, however, the best among the Brazilian air carriers!

TP343, São Paulo, Brazil.

Thu Feb 03, 2000 5:30 am

I guess we all agree we should send our luggage on any airline except VASP. VASP needs to restructure. When they do, I would be willing to try them again.

BTW, there is a problem between Argentina & Italy regarding Aeropuertos 2000. I don't really understand what the problem is, what I surmised was that Italy wants the Argentine government to take care of maintenance of the airports, so that the Italian company partners with AA2000 can focus on investing & infrestructure of the airports. But the problem is SO SERIOUS that both presidents have talked about it twice now. Can anybody simplify for me?
Even some polititians in Italy say that they would not support Argentina for a rotating security Council seat at the UN with Brazil, even if Argentina helps Italy become a permanent member. Brazil of course would be happy with that, because then that would help them get what they want, a permanent seat in the UN security council.
But Brazil would still need Argentina's vote approval, of course Argentina will never give Brazil that.

What does that have to do with aviation...NOTHING!!
But, just like with the aviation agreements between countries the POLITITIANS always want to mix everything up, ridiculous...

Keep the POLITICS away from AVIATION!!

Thu Feb 03, 2000 8:00 am

I flew VASP one time, and I hope never more.
some experiences during my trip in Business class BRU-Salvador de Bahia:

* No cold champagne.
* only one cold meal consisting of a salad and a bad dessert (NO choice)
* a check in agent who put me in economy although my ticket clearly said J class.
* a crappy old DC10 operated by Skyjet with a seat pitch of 38 inch.
* a delay of 3 hours

I must say that on the flight to Brazil, meal service was adequate, with good quantity and reasonable quality.

The flight attendants were always courtious and attentive, it wasn't their fault their airline failed in delivering a good product.

By the way, I LOVE BRAZIL, Salvador and Fortaleze rule!!
my dream: to fly for a Brazilian airline once... If I only knew portugese..

Sat Feb 05, 2000 9:14 am

I guess Vasp cannot really be summed in a few words, but in a general case it has indeed been proven to be correctly disliked by almost all people. I have received a message from a friend who somehow got hold of the info on Vasp's maintenance log records. He said that the company did not appropriately space out the various A,B,C,D checks throughout a required amount of time between each other during the late eighties and early nineties. It became evident later on as DAC (Brazil's FAA) grounded several of its aircrafts due to technical wonder! Plus all the financial and managerial dodginess the company has gone through, it proves to me it should've ceased to exist ages ago. In my opinion this will happen soon. As Vasp fades away, TAM and TransBrasil are fused together to face up Varig. That will be the scenario period in a short time.

The saddest thing happening with the company nowadays is the act cannibalism it is carrying out with its fleet. It is a common practice for airlines to do this, but Vasp's case is far more desperate. From generators, avionics, APU components to even seats. All has been ripped out from already two aircrafts sitting and dying slowly and painfully in GRU's tarmac. They are indeed sacrificing to poor MD-11's to supply the rest of the fleet with their components. I feel for those two babies, who just happen to fall in the wrong hands.

Too much for organ donation. I'm not sure the aircrafts stated they would be donors before being "slaughtered"'s what it looks like...sad view..

poor baby!

Sun Feb 06, 2000 1:02 am

Does anyone know the registrations of the MD11's being "slaughtered"? I know that Vasp had PP-SPD (one of their MD11's) sitting here in Toronto for the whole summer. Also, what's going on with the leasing? It seems like the leasing company wants to take over four MD11's. Is this true, or is there something else going on?

Sun Feb 06, 2000 2:08 am

I have seen those aircrafts in GRU, I have twice last year, and I cant belive this patetic scenario,two MD11 with no more than 8 year in that situation,really very sad.I will never fly VASP in my life.

News Of The Day...

Sun Feb 06, 2000 2:40 am

I have just read this in the newspaper Folha de São Paulo from today (Saturday, 5th February):

AVIAÇÃO - Liminar foi suspensa pela justiça

A juíza da 1a. Turma da 2a. Região do Tribunal Regional Federal, Julieta Lunz, suspendeu ontem o mandato de segurança que garantia à VASP o direito de não pagar taxas aeroportuárias diariamente e continuar voando.

A partir de hoje, segundo decisão da Justiça, a companhia fica obrigada a pagar as tarifas todos os dias. Caso contrário, a empresa estará impedida de embarcar passageiros. A VASP entrou na Justiça para pleitear o recolhimento semanal ou mensal das taxas.

A empresa informou que vai recorrer à instância superior, mas que, enquanto isso, fará o pagamento diário. A empresa ainda terá que aguardar o julgamento do mérito da ação impetrada pela Infraero, que exige o pagamento das taxas em troca de a empresa continuar prestando serviços.

A companhia também está sendo investigada pelo suposto uso de certidões negativas de débito do INSS (Instituto Nacional de Segurança Social) falsas na prestação de serviços à ECT (Empresa Brasileira de Correios e Telégrafos).

O DAC (Departamento de Aviação Civil), órgão da Auronáutica responsável pela fiscalização das atividades das companhias aéreas, informou estar examinando que medidas poderá tomar.

Segundo nota do Comando da Auronáutica divulgada ontem, o DAC consultou o INSS e a ECT e recebeu a informação de que os documentos usados pela VASP eram falsos. A VASP insiste na autenticidade dos documentos.

Translation (free owrk done by myself):

Due to the poor financial condition, VASP started not to pay the airport taxes everyday (as the National law rules). But, Infraero ("Empresa Brasileira para a Infra-estrutura Aeroportuária" - the responsable entity for the National airports) applyed a lawsuit against VASP and won. Since today, VASP must pay the taxes (over landings, area occuped in airports, take-offs, airport services,...) everyday. If VASP doesn't pay, they will be imediately prohibited of boarding passengers.

Another problem the article told: It was discovered that VASP was using false documents in order to pay less taxes and receive more financial supports when transporting mail for ECT (the Brazilian mail company) and when registering employes on INSS (the Brazilian previdency system).

What a shame!

Another one: I read on Flap Internacional number 328, from January'00 (Brazilian magazine about commercial aviation) that VASP is "seriously thinking" about replacing its MD-11s with modern B767-400ER or A330-200 and the B737-200s with modern and state-of-the-art B737-400 and -500.

An airline which is canibalising an MD-11 because has no money nor international credit is really going to lease/buy 7-8 new long-haulers! Oh yes...

Humourous regards,

RE: News Of The Day...

Sun Feb 06, 2000 3:25 am

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering that with all the turmoil with commericial aviation in Brazil and especially with VASP I would think that Vasp would be in serious trouble and near bankrupt. If they don't have money to purchase spare parts for their MD-11's then the situation must be critical right!

Also, do you think that VASP will make it out alive!? I don't see how an airline with so many problems stay alive too long. How many cities does VASP fly in Europe? I know that Vasp used to fly from Sao Paulo to Los Angeles and then to Seoul but I thought that was an odd and interesting route. First of all, there is many competition from LAX to Seoul. Korean Air, Asiana, and other asian airlines that make a stop there before continuing on to LAX. I know this is old, but I think VASP was flying this route more out of prestige than anything else. Since Varig fly's to Tokyo and Nagoya from LAX, VASP wanted to look good too.

Why doesn't VASP stop flying to so many European destinations? These routes are nice but very expensive if you aren't making money off them.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
Topic Author

I Struck A Nerve...

Sun Feb 06, 2000 4:14 am

It seems this was a good topic. Thanks for all those stories & comments on VASP.

VASP is in much worse shape that I had originally believed. Indeed, it is very funny to see how they are dismantling MD's in Sao Paulo, have NO CREDIT, & at the same time want to MODERNIZE their fleet!! 

We will see what happens with them...

As for the other Latin Airlines, I hope that a new age will come when EACH airline has a particular flavor of the country, not the same old like today. But, privatization has taken its toll, as airlines care more about $$$ than prestige.

The airports in Latin America are indeed changing for the better, finally. I want to take a "hopper-trip" to Latin America to check all the major airports, & how they have changed, and rate then in the process. Maybe some day...
(for the Argentinos)

No wonder so many NEW ARGENTINOS in here in the Forum!! I NOW HAVE READ Internet is finally exploding in Argentina!!
In 1998, Brazil was WAY AHEAD of Argentina; Mexico was also very ahead. Argentina was behind Chile, Venezuela & Colombia!!   embarrassing...

But, now, WE ARE #1!!!!!!
We are now ahead of everybody in Latin America, 2.3% of the population has internet! #1 in new internet companies, also!!

Let hear it for Argentina!!!          

Derico now in Hell.

RE: I Struck A Nerve...

Sun Feb 06, 2000 9:37 am

Derico, we are really happy whith your information, and proud of it.I really enjoy these forums with argentinian and people from around the globe, in these profesional level of discutions.I really want that our airlines going to be number 1 also.
Topic Author

Number One For ARG Is Faaar Away...

Sun Feb 06, 2000 11:52 am

I know, I would like for Aerolineas Argentinas, or any other airline from ARG, to be #1...

...but we are not.

Unfortunately, we have one of the worst flagship airlines in Aerolineas. AR is VERY FAR AWAY from AeroMexico, Varig, TACA, let's not even talk about LanChile.

Maybe some day in the future things will improve...

Anyways, AR has been talked too much lately. I just want to see what is going to happen before I make any new comments on the airline.

Derico in Hell.

Sun Feb 06, 2000 12:31 pm

Haven't read the other posts... but I'd just like to say I enjoy their livery.  
Topic Author

Another Canibal?

Wed Feb 09, 2000 3:47 am

I just came back from MIA, & I saw a VASP plane on the distance (perhaps an MD, couldnt tell) that had all its doors this normal procedure to remove exit doors, or are we witnessing another act of canibalism at VASP? Anyone with information would be appreciated.

Love & be happy,
Topic Author

Vasp Not Shutdown...yet.

Wed Feb 09, 2000 10:29 am

Tue, 8 Feb 2000, 11:21pm EDT
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brazil's Vasp Averts Shutdown, Agrees to Restart Payment of Airport Fees

Brasilia, Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Viacao Area Sao Paulo SA, Brazil's No. 2 airline, said it will restart payments of airport fees by Thursday, averting a government shut-down of its operations. Wagner Canhedo, chairman of the airline known as Vasp, said the company agreed to restart weekly payments of about 1.4 million reais ($790,000) after a meeting with Defense Ministry officials.

Officials from Vasp and the Defense Ministry will meet next week to negotiate how to pay 37 million reais in airport fees that have been due since December, he said. They also will discuss Vasp's overall debt of about 370 million reais with Infraero, the government agency that manages Brazil's airports. ``Under no circumstances will Vasp stop its operations,'' said Canhedo. ``We saw after our meeting at the Defense Ministry that there really is the hope the entire aviation industry strengthens.''

The Defense Ministry has final authority over all aviation
matters in Brazil and could have suspended Vasp's right to embark passengers, which have curtailed the airline's operations. Infraero had demanded Vasp pay the outstanding fees after the airline lost a legal battle to try to pay the fees monthly rather than weekly. ``Infraero demanded the weekly payments from the beginning of last year as Vasp has frequently defaulted on its airport fees in the past,'' an Infraero spokesman said.

Brazil's currency devaluation last January made foreign
travel expensive for many Brazilians, cutting into airlines'
profit. Canhedo said that passenger traffic at Vasp declined about 45 percent after the devaluation. Vasp's net income was 38.14 million reais in the third quarter, up from a 65.86 million reais loss in the second quarter and an 87.08 million reais loss in the first quarter.

The airline suggested in October that the country's four
carriers seek a merger to offset losses within the industry, but Viacao Aerea Riograndense SA, TAM-Transportes Aereas Regionais SA and Transbrasil SA rejected the offer.

© Copyright 2000, Bloomberg L.P. All Rights Reserved.

How long will VASP's agony last?

Love & be happy,

Sun Feb 13, 2000 9:18 am

I heard that the Continental and VASP code-share alliance is terminating at the end of March. I for one am glad that Continental is terminating this alliance! With all the trouble that VASP is been having, it was just a matter of time before the alliance was nixed.

Makes me wonder if VASP is going to continue service into EWR (since they were all Continental planes anyway, I believe). Does anyone know?

Vasp Issue: This Week In Review.

Sun Feb 13, 2000 8:33 pm

This post is just to update you all about how the is the current situation of VASP. It's composed by a collectania of articles and an interview. The material is in Portuguese but I'll make notes in English beside the most important passages.

Article 1:
Infraero recebe primeiro depósito de R$ 1,3 milhão
10/02 17:39 (hora de Brasília) SÃO PAULO, 10 de fevereiro de 2000 - A Vasp depositou nesta tarde R$ 1,3 milhão referente à dívida da empresa junto à Infraero, estatal administradora dos aeroportos. O débito acumulado deve-se ao não-pagamento de taxas aeroportuárias desde meados de dezembro, quando a empresa conseguiu uma liminar do juiz de São João de Meriti, na Baixada Fluminense, que impedia a cobrança. A decisão vigorou até sexta-feira passada, dia em que a liminar foi revogada. O valor da dívida da Vasp vem sendo objeto de discussão da empresa com o governo. A companhia estima que deve R$ 200 milhões à Infraero, enquanto a administradora diz que a dívida da empresa é de R$ 370 milhões. Segundo a Vasp, o valor do débito da empresa junto à estatal não é o problema. "Os gastos são ridículos perto do faturamento da companhia", informou a assessoria. O que está sendo discutido é a forma de pagamento. A Vasp alega que quer fazer o pagamento em parcelas de cerca de R$ 1,3 milhão semanalmente, como as outras companhias aéreas fazem, e diz que a Infraero insiste na cobrança diária. Nesta semana, o presidente da Vasp, Wagner Canhedo, esteve reunido com o Comando da Aeronáutica em Brasília. Na ocasião, informou que a forma de pagamento ainda será discutida na semana que vem com a Infraero, assim como o valor exato da dívida. Fonte: Gazeta Mercantil

-- VASP payed R$1,3 mi (appox. US$450 thousand) to Infraero. This value is referent to the airport taxes of the period between December'99 and January'00. According to VASP, its debts with Infraero are measured in R$200 mi (US$115 million); Infraero, on the other side, says it's R$370 mi (US$ 210 million). VASP says R$200 mi is not problem for them compared to their revenues (my note: What an arrogance!!!). Infraero wants VASP to pay their airport taxes daily, but VASP protests, as it wants pay weekly as the others National airlines.

Article 2)
Vasp cancela vôos internacionais e devolve aviões MD-11
Sexta, 11 de fevereiro de 2000, 12h41min
A Vasp disse nesta sexta-feira que decidiu cancelar seus vôos para Nova York e Toronto e que devolveu todos (my note: ibid) os seus aviões MD11 como parte do programa de reestruturação. A problemática companhia aérea, que quase teve seus vôos domésticos suspensos esta semana pela Infraero, por não honrar suas dívidas, disse também que vai demitir 100 comissários de bordo que operam nas duas rotas.
A Vasp liquidou, ontem, 1,466 milhão de reais em taxas vencidas que devia à Infraero. A Infraero ameaçou suspender os vôos domésticos da Vasp a partir deste sábado caso a empresa não recebesse o dinheiro até sexta-feira. "Pagamos a quantia e devolvemos os MD-11 como parte de nosso esquema de reestruturação", disse Rui Nogueira, porta-voz da companhia. "A reestruturação deve cortar US$ 6 milhões por mês, ou aproximadamente US$ 80 milhões até o fim o ano".
Os vôos de Nova York e Toronto serão cancelados no início de março devido à forte concorrência nesses destinos. A Vasp vai manter seus vôos internacionais para Buenos Aires, Zurique, Frankfurt, Bruxelas, Barcelona, Madri e Miami. A Vasp, que emprega cerca de 8 mil pessoas, deve cerca de R$ 1,5 bilhão a entidades estatais incluindo o Banco do Brasil e a Infraero.
A companhia aérea tem atrasado o pagamento de suas dívidas especialmente depois que a desvalorização da moeda brasileira elevou os custos de leasing e de combustível da companhia que era em dólares e prejudicou seus lucros. A Vasp agora deve fazer pagamentos semanais de suas dívidas e deve fazer uma proposta de pagamento de sua dívida total no dia 17 de fevereiro. Fonte: Reuters

-- VASP announced it would cancel services to Toronto and New York (they justify the measure because of the strong competition on these routes) and return all (my note: this is wrong) MD-11s and fire 100 F/A. The day before, VASP payed R$ 1,44 mi (approx. US$832 thousand) referent to delayed payments of Infraero taxes, since the Infraero threated VASP of suspending it's rights of boarding passengers. VASP will keep just Buenos Aires, Zürich, Frankfurt, Bruxelas, Barcelona, Madrid and Miami on its international routes. The airline employs 8,000 people and just to the Brazilian Government and its institutions, VASP has a debt of R$1,5 bi (approx. US$867 mi). VASP justifies its poor financial health with the ephisode of the Real devaluation in the beggining of last year, what rose their costs with fuel and leasing.

Article 3)
Justiça apreende aviões da Vasp
Sábado, 12 de fevereiro de 2000, 08h47min
O juiz da 37ª Vara Cível de São Paulo, Miguel Petroni Neto, mandou apreender nesta sexta-feira duas aeronaves McDonnell-Douglas MD-11 e uma turbina General Electric em poder da Vasp. O material será devolvido à proprietária, a Tombo Aviation Corporation, empresa com sede na Califórnia, Estados Unidos.
Os aviões e a turbina foram arrendados à Vasp que, em dezembro de 1998, suspendeu pagamentos, acumulando dívida de R$ 27,34 milhões. Também ontem, a presidente da Associação dos Comissários da Vasp, Marlena Ruza, informou que a empresa dispensou 120 comissárias de bordo em regime de licença não-remunerada por um ano e não deu garantias de retorno ao trabalho.

Fonte: Zero Hora

-- A judge ordened VASP to give to Justice two MD-11s and a GE engine, as VASP didn't pay the lessor (Tombo Aviation) since December'98 what make the debt worth R$ 27,34 mi (approx. US$ 47 million). The material will be returned to the lessor and VASP announced that 120 F/A were put in license for 1 year without garanties of returning to work after the period.

An interview Mr. Wagner Canhedo (VASP' president) gave to the Brazilian news and business weekly megazine Isto É:

Guerra Suja
Wagner Canhedo anuncia reduções nos preços das passagens e acusa os concorrentes de promoverem uma campanha de baixo nível contra a Vasp
Mário Simas Filho
O empresário Wagner Canhedo, presidente da Vasp, ainda não teve tempo para comemorar o fantástico índice de 89% de ocupação em seus jatos na ponte aérea Rio-São Paulo, o filé mignon da aviação nacional. Na última semana, ele precisou dedicar-se integralmente para administrar algumas turbulências. "Nossa política comercial mais agressiva deu resultado e incomodou a concorrência que resolveu bater abaixo da linha da cintura", acusa Canhedo. O empresário se refere ao bombardeio a que a Vasp ficou exposta nos últimos dias, quando foram amplamente divulgadas supostas dívidas da empresa e ameaças sensacionalistas da Infraero - a estatal responsável pela maior parte dos aeroportos brasileiros - de proibir os pousos e as decolagens de suas aeronaves. "Nenhuma empresa aérea brasileira está voando em céu de brigadeiro. A Vasp tem dívidas como tem dívidas a Varig, a Transbrasil e a TAM. Mas não estamos em situação de risco. Os ataques vieram como resposta de baixo nível a uma maior ocupação de mercado."
Certo de que seu plano de vôo está absolutamente correto, em entrevista concedida a ISTOÉ, Canhedo assegura que não irá arremeter. "Vamos manter o desconto de 50% nos bilhetes da ponte aérea e nos próximos dias anunciaremos promoções semelhantes para as cidades de Ribeirão Preto (SP), São José do Rio Preto (SP), Campo Grande (MS) e Uberlândia (MG). Como na ponte aérea, o cliente pagará a ida e a Vasp dará a volta", promete. O presidente da Vasp também garante que não irá reduzir a premiação aos agentes de viagem e acusa Varig, Transbrasil e TAM de não estarem amadurecidas o suficiente para entender a necessidade de fusões entre as empresas aéreas nacionais. A seguir, a entrevista com Wagner Canhedo.
ISTOÉ - Na última semana, cartazes espalhados pela cidade o definiam como um piloto de cheques voadores. Como o sr. se sentiu ao ver esses cartazes?
Wagner Canhedo - Não é nada agradável e não ficarei quieto. Os cartazes espalhados pela revista Veja são abomináveis e mentirosos. É lamentável que uma revista se arvore em juíza da moral alheia, como se estivesse acima do bem e do mal, sendo usada por meus concorrentes que se empenham em mover uma campanha contra a Vasp porque perderam mercado. É inaceitável que uma revista se preste a esse serviço, principalmente sabendo que estava divulgando alguns dados mentirosos e distorcendo outros. Trata-se, claramente, de uma reportagem assinada por meus concorrentes. Lanço o desafio para que apresentem um cheque do Canhedo ou da Vasp que tenha sido emitido sem fundos.

ISTOÉ - A Infraero diz que recebeu do sr. 24 cheques pré-datados e ao apresentar o primeiro o pagamento estava sustado.
Canhedo - Mais uma mentira divulgada pela revista Veja. De fato fiz os cheques pré-datados, mas a Infraero apresentou os 24 no mesmo dia. Por causa disso os pagamentos foram sustados, pois o comportamento da Infraero rasgou qualquer compromisso anterior.

ISTOÉ - O sr. credita aos concorrentes os ataques sofridos pela Vasp nos últimos dias. Diz que tudo não passa de uma resposta de baixo nível à sua política comercial mais agressiva. O que a Vasp fez que incomodou tanto?
Canhedo - De dezembro para cá, tomamos algumas medidas que irritaram muito meus concorrentes. Depois de algumas reuniões, todos resolveram abaixar de 10% para 7% as comissões dos agentes de viagem. A Vasp, que em outubro havia elevado essas comissões para 13%, não aceitou. Temos muito claro que são esses agentes os responsáveis por 80% de nossas vendas e eles precisam ser valorizados. Isso é política comercial. Irrita a concorrência, mas nada me obriga a seguir o que fazem as outras empresas.

ISTOÉ - E já houve tempo suficiente para essa postura provocar algum reflexo no mercado?
Canhedo - Sem dúvida. Quando elevamos a comissão para 13%, nossas vendas aumentaram em torno de 10% e agora que elas abaixaram nossas vendas subiram mais 30%. É isso que tem deixado TAM, Varig e Transbrasil bastante aborrecidas. Mas vamos ignorar os reclamos e continuar a implantar essa política agressiva.

ISTOÉ - Como?
Canhedo - Agora começamos com a promoção na ponte aérea. O passageiro paga a ida e a Vasp paga a volta. É o mesmo que se estivesse dando 50% de desconto. Ora, eles têm linhas que dão até 40% de desconto. Por que não posso dar 50% de desconto na ponte?

ISTOÉ - É que a ponte Rio-São Paulo é o filé mignon da aviação nacional.
Canhedo - Mas eles também estão com promoções na ponte.

ISTOÉ - TAM, Varig e Transbrasil estão dando descontos no trecho Rio-São Paulo?
Canhedo - Indiretamente sim. Elas aumentam a milhagem. É o mesmo que estamos fazendo, só que com resultados a médio e longo prazos para os clientes. A Vasp optou pelo benefício imediato ao passageiro.

ISTOÉ - Qual o resultado concreto dessa promoção?
Canhedo - O resultado é maravilhoso. Tínhamos um aproveitamento na ponte de 25% e estamos com 89%. A Vasp está ganhando. Veja bem. O número de passageiros continua o mesmo e meus vôos que saíam com ocupação de 25% hoje saem com 89%. Isso significa que as pessoas deixaram de voar pelas outras empresas. Foi a gota d'água para desencadear essa campanha odiosa contra nós. Meu crime é levar a sério o fato de vivermos em uma economia de mercado na qual o consumidor ganha com a competição.

ISTOÉ - A Infraero participa dessa campanha. Muito do que se tem dito contra a Vasp diz respeito a dívidas da empresa com a estatal?
Canhedo - Não. Nós, por decisão do ministro da Defesa e do comandante da Aeronáutica, seremos tratados como os demais. Vamos pagar todas as sextas-feiras e não diariamente como queria a Infraero. O problema é operacional e não falta de caixa.

ISTOÉ - Na semana passada, o presidente da Infraero criticou essa promoção da Vasp na ponte aérea. Ele disse que o sr. estava praticando dumping.
Canhedo - Isso é descabido. A Vasp está trabalhando com essa tarifa e está ganhando muito dinheiro.

ISTOÉ - O sr. não está operando abaixo do custo?
Canhedo - Ao contrário. Antes, com poucos passageiros nos aviões, estávamos perdendo no mínimo R$ 140 mil por dia na ponte e agora estamos ganhando R$ 140 mil.

ISTOÉ - E a dívida com a Infraero. As ameaças de proibir os vôos da Vasp?
Canhedo - Isso é outra grande bobagem. Estão confundindo tudo. O que a Infraero pode efetivamente fazer é nos cobrar cash e por causa disso estamos brigando na Justiça. Mas, se perdermos, vamos pagar dia a dia sem nenhum problema.

ISTOÉ - Estou me referindo não às taxas atuais, mas à dívida antiga da Vasp com a Infraero.
Canhedo - Temos dívidas como todas as outras empresas do setor. A Varig tem, e a Transbrasil e a TAM também. Nossa dívida com o governo de maneira geral está em torno de R$ 1,5 bilhão e temos créditos com a União em torno de R$ 1,6 bilhão. Então, o que estamos buscando é um acerto de contas e depois dessa negociação as coisas ficarão zero a zero.

ISTOÉ - Quais são esses créditos?
Canhedo - São créditos de defasagem tarifária do passado, já reconhecidos pela Justiça. Estamos apenas aguardando um chamado do governo para negociar. O nosso direito já está assegurado. O problema é que o governo, ao contrário dos cidadãos comuns, tem um maior número de recursos. Na verdade, são ações que visam apenas a ganhar tempo e não interferem no reconhecimento do direito.

ISTOÉ - O que está faltando para resolver?
Canhedo - Vontade política da área econômica do governo.

ISTOÉ - O sr. diz que, assim como a Vasp, as demais empresas do setor também têm dívidas. Elas também não têm esses mesmos créditos provenientes da defasagem tarifária?
Canhedo - A Transbrasil, por exemplo, tinha uma ação contra a União e ganhou. Nossa ação é idêntica e o processo está no mesmo estágio que o da Varig. Exigimos isonomia.

ISTOÉ - E as demais dívidas?
Canhedo - Nenhuma empresa aérea está voando em céu de brigadeiro. Todas têm dívidas, mas não estou à beira do abismo. Nenhum avião da Vasp foi tomado por empresa de leasing. Somos donos de 75% de nossa frota. A Varig, que já chegou a ser dona de todos os seus aviões, hoje tem apenas seis 737.200. A Transbrasil tem apenas três dos 21 jatos de sua frota e a TAM arrenda seus 56 jatos. Ninguém que arrecada em real e paga em dólar pode estar absolutamente tranquilo.

ISTOÉ - É verdade que a Vasp perdeu um contrato com a Empresa de Correios e Telégrafos porque apresentou falsas certidões negativas do INSS?
Canhedo - Essa é mais uma mentira dessa campanha sórdida promovida por meus concorrentes. Já pedi novas certidões e assim provarei que nada há de falso. Nossa dívida com o INSS está sendo depositada em juízo todos os meses sem nenhum atraso. O problema é que estamos questionando a forma de pagamento, pois quando boa parte dessa dívida foi feita a Vasp era estatal e como tal tinha um prazo maior de pagamento. Lutamos pela manutenção desse prazo.

ISTOÉ - E o contrato com o Correio?
Canhedo - Nós temos um serviço, o Vaspex, que concorre com o Correio. Portanto, esse contrato era um problema, pois a ECT nunca viu com bons olhos a concorrência direta. Os valores já estavam defasados em pelo menos 40%. Desde agosto do ano passado temos feito tratativas para o reajuste e nunca encontramos boa vontade por parte deles. O corte iria acontecer de uma forma ou de outra. Não teve nada a ver com a fantasiosa denúncia de certidões falsas. Para mim, o importante é que o que perdemos com o Correio já ganhamos com o incremento do Vaspex. Em janeiro crescemos mais de R$ 6 milhões.

ISTOÉ - O sr. está distribuindo uma carta aos passageiros em que fala em reestruturação da empresa. O que está acontecendo?
Canhedo - Não é só a Vasp, mas o setor todo precisa ser reestruturado. Não é fácil arrecadar em real e pagar em dólar. Estamos agora devolvendo quatro dos oito MD-11 e vamos reestruturar a malha internacional. É possível cumprir as rotas com metade da frota. Isso significará uma economia de US$ 1,6 milhão mensal em leasing. Com a desvalorização do real, esses aluguéis se tornaram muito caros. Isso tudo tem o objetivo de aumentar receita e diminuir despesas.

ISTOÉ - O sr. planeja alterar o número de funcionários da empresa?
Canhedo - A Vasp é uma empresa bastante enxuta. Me dói demitir um empregado. Eu vim de baixo e gosto de quem trabalha comigo.

ISTOÉ - Dizem que a Vasp está canibalizando. Como anda a manutenção de seus aviões?
Canhedo - Mais uma maldade. Dizem isso por causa dos MD 11. Ora, sempre um deles está em manutenção. É absolutamente normal que as empresas recolham suas aeronaves para revisão e manutenção. Com a Vasp, isso vira sinônimo de canibalização. Não é nada disso. A empresa aérea de médio e grande portes que não estiver com pelo menos um avião em manutenção está negligenciando com a segurança. A acusação é tão falsa quanto lamentável.

ISTOÉ - Como a Vasp se posiciona em relação à fusão das companhias aéreas nacionais, discurso feito com frequência pelo governo?
Canhedo - Sou totalmente favorável. Com qualquer uma das outras três empresas. Temos conversado bastante, mas essas conversas não têm caminhado. Acho que estamos vendo dez anos à frente, mas meus concorrentes não pensam assim. Nossos cálculos já checados e rechecados indicam que com a fusão das empresas nacionais poderíamos economizar cerca de US$ 15 milhões por mês. Uma economia que certamente seria revertida em benefício ao usuário, com a redução no preço final da passagem.

ISTOÉ - Por que essas conversas não avançam?
Canhedo - Tenho impressão de que falta amadurecimento aos meus concorrentes, pois não vejo como as empresas poderiam perder com isso.

ISTOÉ - Como o sr. pretende reagir a essa campanha contra a Vasp?
Canhedo - Vamos continuar fazendo as promoções e não iremos alterar as comissões dos agentes de viagem. Nossos passageiros irão ser beneficiados imediatamente. Nos mesmos moldes da ponte aérea, vamos implantar nos próximos dias promoções para Ribeirão Preto, São José do Rio Preto, Campo Grande e Uberlândia. O passageiro pagará a ida e a Vasp a volta.

ISTOÉ - Qual a taxa de ocupação atual nesses vôos?
Canhedo - Temos pouca ocupação. Cerca de 35% e apenas um vôo diário. Com a promoção vamos chegar a 70% de ocupação, com certeza. Dessa forma, linhas que por vezes pareçam deficitárias começarão a dar retorno imediato.

ISTOÉ - Isso vai afetar a TAM?
Canhedo - Com certeza. Mas, afete a quem afetar, o passageiro Vasp será o maior beneficiado dessa guerra suja.

-- Sorry, I don't have time now to translate it. Later I do it or I hope any Portuguese/Spanish speaker could make an overall explaination. Once again, sorry!