dutchjet

US Domestic First Vs. European Business Class

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:35 am

US and European carriers take a different approach concerning their "Premium Cabin" on short-haul narrow body flights (say flights of 3 hours or less).

US carriers offer traditional first class seating, with bigger seats (2+2) and extra legroom, but on short haul flights, in-flight services have been cut with meals services only being offered on longer segments and other ammenities eliminated.

European carriers use the forward part of their cabin for business class, and the business class seats are sometimes the same as economy, or window and aisle seats are only used, and some airlines have flex-seating that allows the traditional 3+3 seating to be converted into a 2+3 arrangement. Legroom is the same as in coach, but inflight service is generally very good with full meal services and the like.

Which do you think is the better approach? Europeans have more or less given up on premium fares on short-haul segments, and a full fare coach ticket (which can still be rather expensive) will land you in the business class cabin. US first class, in recent times, has become the cabin for premium frequent flyers and full fare coach passenges using automatic upgrading procedures, with less and less pax actually paying a first class fare.

Please remember I am talking only about short haul. Thanks.

DoorsToManual

RE: US Domestic First Vs. European Business Class

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:59 am

Hi there

This is of course a matter of personal taste, but my preference would be for larger, more comfortable seats. I have been impressed by the seating on US domestic carriers in First Class; with regards to meal services (or their absence), given the passenger can avail himself of snacks and sandwiches in airport lounges or simply purchase food before boarding, the lack of cabin service in this area would not bother me.

In contrast, I think the premium seating arrangements for short haul flights in Europe are pathetic.

rgds

SQ25J

RE: US Domestic First Vs. European Business Class

Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:40 am

US Domestic vs. Intra-European flights is like day vs. night. I jump at the opportunity to fly intra-european flights as the service is great. I think some european airlines business class on short haul is beeter service than US airlines business class transoceanic. Even economy on european short haul is nice, although I have heard some carriers have started to cutback in this regard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos