Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Osubuckeyes
Topic Author

Your Thoughts On Red-Eyes

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:34 am

I love them personally, because when I fly during the day it jus feels like I lose a whole day. I love the lights of cities and if far enough north seeing the Northern Lights. I have flown 2 Hp red-eyes both phx-cmh on an A319 I love it. One on TWA phx-cmh via stl on 727 then md-80. One on United phx-bdl via ord on the A319 twice. I'm flying another phx-cmh on United via ord thsi summer. Theres just something about red-eyes that I love.

sebwhite

RE: Your Thoughts On Red-Eyes

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:38 am

Just flew SFO-BOS and the flight, at 5 hours, is just not long enough to sleep well. I find that when i take red-eyes, i lose a whole day anyway because I need to sleep as soon as I get to my destination.

NIKV69

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:46 am

I love them, I tend to be a night owl and only cat nap on them but they are great! Usually means a long nap the next day but who cares!

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:26 am

Having recently done a transcon red-eye and a mid-con red-eye, I actually preferred the mid-con. I was quite uncomfortable on a B757 LAX-MIA (almost a six hour flight). I would prefer to leave the west coast later, have a break in the middle, then continue onward. I preferred leaving LAX after midnight, arriving at DFW about 5:00am, spending a few minutes in the club, then hopping onto a 6:00am departure for the east coast. I didn't feel near as tired afterward.

Carfield

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:38 am

I absolutely hate it on domestic flights -- no meals and limited service. I am a night owl and find it difficult to sleep on planes. You feel so tired when you arrive at the destination and then you feel so bad for the rest of the day that I can't function properly.

But I agree that night flights tend to be quiet and have a nice view of certain cities at night... the moon looks beautiful. But on international flights, they make it close all the window shades, so that is not so cool.

Anyway, I am flying a redeye in the middle of the month... ai...

Carfield

EddieDude

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:45 am

I have a very good opinion. I may be traveling to Texas and New York City before the end of the month and I am very likely going to do EWR-MEx with MX on my way back. I am choosing flight 871 that leaves EWR Monday at 01:30 and arrives in MEx at 05:25. Sure, I will feel tired and sleepy all Monday, but it is a great way to avoid waste of daylight. My motivations for liking red-eyes are that, during the week, I have to work Mon-Fri all day long and due to the nature of my work it is very hard for me to take a day or two off so the latest in the afternoon/evening that I can leave, the best. And when I am vacationing, I like to waste the least time possible on a plane and enjoy my vacation as much as I can, so red-eye flights are great options. I was recently in Brazil and I chose to fly AM because most of its MEx-GRU flights leave MEx around 22:30 or so and arrive in GRU around noon of the next day, while all the GRU-MEx flights leave GRU almost at midnight and arrive in MEx around 6 a.m. Fantastic!!!

Shawn Patrick

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:58 am

I love red-eyes, I sleep pretty well on planes. It's also good that you don't lose a day. It could also help ease potential jetlag problems. Just keep yourself awake the whole next day and sleep like a baby that night.

Shawn

goboeing

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:05 am

Airlines should work hard to make more flights eastbound during the daytime that return in the late afternoon.

JFK-LHR for example. If you leave at 6PM JFK time, you get to London just when you start to feel really tired. Well, the hotel doesn't have your room yet, so wander around groggy or find somewhere to get some low quality "rest." But your sleep cycle is all screwed up at this point, so don't expect to feel much better.

The flights that leave at 9AM from JFK get to LHR at a convenient 9PM. Things are still operational, the American traveler has some energy left in them and the European traveler is ready to sleep in a few hours, just when they'll reach the hotel or their house.

Two planes are required since the jet stays overnight in Europe, but if these flights are more popular (which they are), airlines should add more of them. Even if the plane ends up spending more time on the ground. The best part about red-eye flights:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jake
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jean

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Gradwohl
View Large View Medium

Photo © Dennis Wong

Nick

yukimizake

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:15 am

One of the nice things about the red eye is to see the sun rise, like in some of the pictures linked in Goboeings's post above, this is always a beautiful sight.

Espion007

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:34 am

i love red-eyes.I almost always fly accross the pond to europe and its great.i leave shortly after sundown and get served a meal(usally edible).then watch a movie,fall asleep,wake up,watch another movie,and if i have a window seat,i love watching the sunrise ahead of us while over the atlantic.then get a pre-arrival snack and land in the morning-with the whole day to do stuff.nothing like red-eye flights.

iflyatldl

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:53 am

I got used to them when I was an f/a(trans-con) and they wern't the best legs to work, but not horrible either. I tried to bid on a red-eye as a last resort and usually to complete a trip. That way, off duty and off to bed.
As a pax, not bad going west, but I avoid eastbound like the plague.  Big grin

gigneil

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:46 am

I can't live without them, unless I manage to travel out on a Friday and back over the weekend.

Sigh. I work too much. :-(

N

Flightlover

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:52 pm

Red-eye flights are super. For one thing you can often get them much cheaper than you would pay for a flight which departs during the day. The ones which depart really early in the morning are great because I can watch the sunrise being in the skies.

B6FA4ever

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:04 pm

i love them as well. especially being a working flight attendant being based in california. Its great...by the time i arrive on the east coast is about the same time i'd be going to bed on the west coast.

but if i were a regular passenger i think i'd have second thoughts on it. i don't get much sleep on planes anyhow but i would feel bad for whoever is picking me up at the airport at 4-6am. so in this case i'd rather have late evening arrival rather than early mornin arr.

~B6FA4ever

CV990

Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 pm

Hi!

I only experienced the well known "red-eye" flight once. That was in August 1998 when I started my way back to Portugal from FAT. The reason I reserved that flight was because I wanted to take the rest of the family for a few hours visit to NYC, so instead of sleeping in the Big Apple and waste a fortune why not save that money and visit some sights there? So that's what we did, we left FAT at 5:00 pm to LAX in a Skywest EMB120, then we spent some 5 hours at LAX, for me it was great because I could spot the lovely airplanes but my wife and kids were not that happy. Finnally we boarded our UA flight late at night, it was a 767-200 N601UA, I think the first airline 767 builted. The flight was good during most of the night, although we didn't rest that much it was awesome to see the sun rising close to land at JFK, just fantastic. Then it was time to get a cab to Manhattan and see the city waking up. We visited Empire State, Statue of Liberty, WTC and it was time to get back to JFK, our next flight was waiting for us, JFK/LGW in a nice BA 767-300ER. I think the sacrifice we all did to have those hours in NYC were not in vain, if we didn't do it we could have lost the chance to see the WTC. So for me red-eye flights are great!
regards

planemannyc

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:05 am

I love them. I feel blessed because I can sleep on planes. When my sister lived in California, I used to go to SFO for weekend trips. They were the best -- I would leave Friday night from NYC and get in not too late in SFO, and take the 10pm flight that got into JFK or EWR at 6 am. The 4 hours or so of sleep was sufficient for me to get through the day, and I would just rest up more on Monday nights.

As for European flights, I also like the red-eye. I like to take really late flights out of NYC and get into Europe in the middle of the day -- that way, if I am really tired, I can catch some sleep at the hotel (by the time I get to them, it is already afternoon, and therefore, they will check me in). I find day flights complete waste of productive time which I could be using better than looking out the airplane window.

Regards,

Wasim / Planemannyc

rjpieces

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:32 am

Even if not a redeye, I much prefer flying at night or in the very early morning......5:45 AM flight from LGA tomorrow!  Smile

7e72004

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:35 am

i have only flew on two...the first one was an LAX-MDW flight...i got into MDW at 5:00am and my connection did not leave until 8:30am...i could not sleep on the plane and then there was no where real comfortable at MDW to sleep so i swore off red-eyes. Until i flew from SEA-ATL in Feb. I actually was able to sleep a little and during my connection in ATL i just took up residence in the corner by the gate area and took a nap. It was kind of weird seeing a completely full flight on a red eye from SEA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos