Alessandro
Topic Author

Places That Need An Airport?

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:20 pm

Personally I find it strange that Saint Helena don´t have an airport yet,
located in the middle of the ocean it could be handy incase of an emergency landing?
Any other place that should have an airport?

From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

7e72004

RE: Places That Need An Airport?

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:22 pm

one word: P-E-O-T-O-N-E  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

SQ25J

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:25 pm

The Cassamance region of Senegal, has enormous potential as a resort town, also has a vibrant fishing industry. Several hours over poor roads from Banjul or Dakar-an airport is a must!

pelican

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:42 pm

Berlin needs an airport!! Not those tiny miniatures...

Alessandro
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:44 pm

SQ25J, especially after the ferry disaster.

haveric

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:04 am

I think TTN should be a larger commercial airport. It was for awhile, when Eastwind was flying from there in the mid-90s w/ range-restricted 732s (becuase of TTN's short runway). Trenton/Princeton area, with lots of wealthy pharmaceutical companies and research institutions can support RJ service to major east coast cities / Chicago, etc. Right now, the only flights are Shuttle America Saab's to Bedford, MA.

People in this region are forced to schlep either to EWR or PHL, not a fun task at rush hour. Of course, Amtrak gets most of these passengers now.

Travelagent

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:14 am

Hi SQ25J

Isn't the Airport Ziguinchor (ZIG) located in the Cassamance region? I know its only a little regional airport (served by Air Senegal's Dash8) but may be they extend it (a real demand provided!). But I think any extension has to be funded from the outside - maybe one of the bigger tour operators if they really see a chance for a successful (year-round!) tourist destination? Hmm - no, I think its to risky.
Born to fly! It's more than a passion - it's a yearning!! At home in DUS(Dusseldorf)!

Alessandro
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:19 am

Well, 20 airports in Senegal so it would be strange that they didn´t have any
in the south, maybe a larger paved one is needed?

SQ25J

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:22 am

Travelagent-You are correct on both fronts. I recall Ziguinchor is in that area, (as it is stamped in my passport), but I was advocating for an airport that could handle widebody longhaul flights. You also are on right track as I agree a tour operator would have to finance this project. Once again I think this area is a GOLDMINE! I have been to several exotic destinations such as MRU, DPS, and HKT and think Cassamance is unspoiled beauty. I am seriously considering investigating prospects in this area.

SlamClick

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:23 am

KLGA seriously needs an airport!

Haveric if I am not mistaken the Trenton city fathers emphatically do not want airliners in TTN. Don't know why but I believe this to be true.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

goboeing

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:32 am

TTN really would be popular if an airline flew there from a hub (like American Eagle to ORD or something like that). PHL is congested, expensive, and inconvenient to people who live in the Delaware Valley. EWR and BWI might have cheaper fares (especially BWI), but they are at least a 1.5 hour drive and also are expensive if you are parking long-term.

The people who live around TTN do not stop complaining about the noise. They are fanatical about not having jets fly there, even though they are too stupid to realize that many of them are quieter than the Saab 340s that currently arrive and depart to BED. When Eastwind Airlines flew to TTN they would talk about paintings falling off of their walls when the planes flew over (on a 5 mile final to runway 6). The airport has been there much longer than they have, and has always been big enough to accomodate corporate jets.

The good thing is, the well-to-do people on complain the most are on the Pennsylvania side in Yardley and Upper Makefield townships, and the people in New Jersey don't complain as much from what I've read (they at least do not have formal committees, etc. to stop airport development).

Nick