wimpycol

Concorde In Colombia And Latin America?

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:06 am

I got some info from a good friend from Colombia who sended me the next photo, where you clearly can see an AV B727-200 but in the Background an AF Concorde  Wow!  Wow!

(source: http://www.virtualcol.net/
http://www.virtualcol.net/airphoto/ )

Well I was dreaming many times of a Concorde in Colombia.....but finally (for me!) its true!
When did this happen? (back in the 70's/80's??? You can see CATAM in the background I think.
Why visit it Colombia?
For the visit of the French president Miterrand? Or a visit of the pope back in the 80's??
Where there more visits??

Also did the Concorde visit Argentina/ Brazil/ Chile/ Peru/ Ecuador/ Venezuela/ Mexico or any other country in Latin America.

Thanks in advance! Big thumbs up Big thumbs up
Willem Alberto.
Colombia... can't wait to be there again!!!!!!!!!!

ConcordeBoy

RE: Concorde In Colombia And Latin America?

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:11 am

Also did the Concorde visit Argentina/ Brazil/ Chile/ Peru/ Ecuador/ Venezuela/ Mexico or any other country in Latin America.

There was scheduled SSC service to GIG (with a stop in DKR) and MEX (stop in IAD) on AF during the earlier years.  Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel R Carneiro
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel R Carneiro

There were several charters from various places into Venezuela as well (everything from tourism to oil biz).

This British were at GIG a good bit also.

[Edited 2004-04-06 19:12:51]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

henpol747

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:14 am

The concorde had a regular flight (3 times per week) to Mexico till the late 70´s early 80´s.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis Federico Sosa Velázquez

Cheers,

Henpol747
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

wimpycol

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:14 am

Thanks for the info Concordeboy!

Willem Alberto

FlySSC

Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:56 am

CCS was one of the first REGULAR destinations for Air France Concorde in the 70's ! The flight was operated with and intermediate refueling stop at SMA (Santa-Maria, Azores).

As mentionned above, AF inaugurated Concorde services on CDG-DKR-GIG on January 21st 1976. IAD was then added, and MEX in continuation of the CDG-IAD flight or later in continuation of the CDG-JFK flight.

Concorde did several flights to South America, even in its early days during test flights :
The very first tour in South America was between Sept.4th 1971 and Sept.18th 1971. with Concorde 001 F-WTSS : the routing was
TOULOUSE - SAL (SID)
SAL-CAYENNE-RIO
RIO-SAO-RIO-EZE-RIO
RIO-SAO-RIO-CAYENNE-SAL
SAL-LAS PALMAS-TOULOUSE.

Concorde 102 F-WTSA landed for the first time in CCS during its second tour in South America : Sept.18th 1973 to Sept.26th 1973 :
ORY-LPA-CCS
CCS-DFW for the inauguration of the new Dallas-Fort Worth Airport
DFW-IAD-ORY.

The CDG-(SMA)-CCS flight was programmed 6 hours including the refueling stop. It was inaugurated on April 9th 1976. The AF's Concorde flights to CCS stopped in March 31st 1982, as well as the flights GIG.

During the last years, Concorde came back several for special flights in South America.

I had the chance to operate, as a flight Attendant one of the "South America Concorde Tour" in 1998 :
MIA - (CAY) - GIG
GIG-IGR
IGR-EZE
EZE-USH
USH-IPC
IPC-LIM
LIM-SJO
SJO-MIA

Concorde at CCS in the 80's :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Haddad

ACES320

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:04 am

WimpyCol
The Concorde was in Colombia 3 times during her service life.
You are right, during the state visit of PM Francois Mitterand in 1985 to BOG and surprisingly to Cartagena CTG as well.
Another visit was scheduled in 1974. For more information
http://www.airfrance.com/double6/CO/infolocale.nsf/(LookupPublishedWeb)/es-1INLO-Concorde?OpenDocument
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

peteinmiami

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:23 am

When Air France inaugurated its flies CDG-HAV, in late 90's the inaugural flight was flown with a Concorde.

FlySSC

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:21 am

When Air France inaugurated its flies CDG-HAV, in the late 90's the inaugural flight was flown with a Concorde

Peteinmiami, where did you get that ???  Wow!

Concorde did land at HAV during a special flight...The SuperSonic was welcomed at Havana Airport by Fidel Castro himself... but it has nothing to do with the regular AF's daily flight inaugurated in 1998 (it was a weekly flight at that time, operated by a B742)

wimpycol

Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:25 am

Thanks GUYS
For all the info that you send me!

Cheers and Saludos
Willem Alberto

komododx

Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:30 am

ACES320,

Do you know the reasons or who was aboard the concorde the three times it went to Colombia?

Why didn't it stop in BOG or any other Colombian city in it's S.A. tour?

BTW great thread Willem. Daag!

KdX in TLH
I'm homeless and unemployed