planemaker

Delta Ends ACA Feeder Deal; ACA Adds 2 More Airb

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:21 am

Delta ends ACA feeder deal; ACA adds two more Airbus
Darren Shannon, Washington DC (06Apr04)

Delta Air Lines will end its regional feeder contract with Atlantic Coast Airlines (ACA) in October, marking the end of ACA’s connection with US mainline carriers.

The termination comes one day after ACA and United Airlines announced the end of their own fee-per-departure feeder deal in August. ACA is now wholly dependant on revenue from its planned low-cost affiliate Independence Air, which is schedule to begin service in June.

Contractual terms obligate Delta to assume the leases on all 30 Fairchild Dornier 328JET aircraft, a condition ACA was expected to enforce. In a statement, ACA says Delta will integrate the ten aircraft currently operated by ACA from Boston to Delta Connections’ Cincinnati hub operations, and discontinuing all of ACA’s New York JFK services.

According to ACA chairman and CEO Kerry Skeen, the airline “plan[s] to use at least some of the time we have during the [180 day] notice period to review and evaluate our options for the 328JETs before finalizing any decisions.”

Meanwhile, Delta in a separate statement paints a slightly different picture. “The 30 [jet] aircraft currently flown by ACA are expected to remain in the Delta Connection carrier program, but will be operated by another carrier. Delta Connection is working to finalize the specifics of the program transition,” the mainline carrier says.

Additionally, Delta Connection carrier Comair will some move aircraft to Delta’s Northeast markets to replace the routes currently operated by ACA.

“Reallocating aircraft between the Northeast and Cincinnati helps us to prepare for the upcoming transition,” says Delta Connection president and CEO Fred Buttrell. “The aircraft reallocation will also increase the size of Delta Connection regional jet aircraft operating in Boston markets from 32 to 50 seats.”

ACA has participated in the Delta Connection program since 1999, and began operating as a partner in August 2000.

Says ACA’s Kleen: “Our decision to become an independent low-fare airline means that our focus going forward will not be on fee-per-departure relationships that rely on other companies’ brands and business models. We believe that this decision by Delta will significantly simplify our overall operation and allow us to focus 100% of our management and employee attention on our new Independence Air service.

“The benefit to our customers is that the entire company can now be based solely on providing excellent low-fare service under our own Independence Air brand from Washington and Northern Virginia to destinations across America,” adds Kleen.

Separately, Independence Air confirmed two more Airbus A319 orders. These two aircraft, to be leased from International Lease Finance (ILFC) and delivered in the second quarter of 2005, increase the airline’s Airbus fleet to 27 aircraft.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

scottysair

RE: Delta Ends ACA Feeder Deal; ACA Adds 2 More Airb

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:41 am

Which one who will takeover after ACA? What is happening for right now with ACA went out of business?

planemaker

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:51 am

To learn more about what is happening with ACA, go to this website:

http://www.flyi.com/
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

foxecho

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:53 am

Hey Scotty-

ACA is becoming their own carrier, Renamed to Independence Air:

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

flyguy1

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:31 am

I assume this means Comair will now operate all JFK/BOS,PHL,RDU, and one flight to DCA.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

scottysair

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:45 am

Thanks for explain to me and which one of those cities will begin served out of IAD? Is that more than of 50 city out of IAD to PHX, LAX, LAS, FLL, MCO, TPA, SAV, ATL, CVG, and everywhere else into the cities.

Mikey711MN

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:27 pm

Which one who will takeover after ACA?

Actually, it appears that Skyway Airlines is close to taking the 328JETs and operating the Delta Connection routes out of CVG. Quite a surprise to me...although admittedly at first when I read it, I thought that they would not operate under the DL banner as they apparently will now!
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

iflyatldl

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:49 pm

I'm sure there are a few grins at Comair. Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

midex461

RE: Delta Ends ACA Feeder Deal; ACA Adds 2 More Ai

Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:18 pm

Does ACA management realize how much they are messing up their company's future by going it alone? The loss of the Delta and United contracts represents a huge loss of revenue. I realize I'm biased, but YV management was right, there's more money in being a feeder than going alone.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

usatoeze

Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:45 pm

I realize I'm biased, but YV management was right, there's more money in being a feeder than going alone.

IF Independence Air can market itself well along the same lines as JetBlue and Southwest, that might not be true. If they fail to market themselves well and establish a niche in the industry we could well see them fail, as well as seeing the day that they would regret pulling away from UAL and DL.
War is a very poor political tool

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:41 pm

I'm assuming Comair will lose some routes out of CVG to shift some flying to BOS/JFK.... probably the shorter routes.

JGPH1A

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:13 pm

Lets hope Comair do take over the JFK flying or DL will lose all its feed from the Northeast onto its transatlantic flights - that's got to be a chunk of pax.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ord

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:45 pm

"IF Independence Air can market itself well along the same lines as JetBlue and Southwest, that might not be true."

The big difference between IA and jetBlue/Southwest is that the latter use jets that are more suitable for low-cost operations. IA will have a tough time doing this with the RJ.

skyhawk

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:47 pm

According to what my husband heard at workd yesterday, Comair will indeed take over the ACA flights. Later on in mid-summer ACA will relocate their planes to CVG from JFK and BOS and Comair wil do the reverse.

syncmaster

Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:50 pm

That's quite sad to hear. Wonder if the current ACA workforce for DL Connection whill stay the same, I've always had great people, and actually my flight yesterday from CVG to AZO was one of the best I'd been on. I hope all goes well.

G550

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:07 am

Intemperance Air will have no problem being an independent carrier. The northern Virginia area is one of the fastest growing areas of the country. The only LCC in the area is southwest which is in BWI. Many people travel from the northern Virginia area to BWI. Independence Air will be able to pull a bunch of people from going to BWI and flying out of IAD which is much closer.

OttoPylit

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:38 am

My question is, "Who owns the DoJets? From the best of my knowledge, Delta does not own any RJ's alone. I had always thought the 328's were bought by ACA to be operated for Delta and if/when ACA left, they took the planes with them. Unless I read the article wrong, ACA is leaving, Delta is left with 30 DoJets and is looking for someone to fly them, possibly Skyway. I have checked and checked and can't seem to find anyone who can give an outright answer.

So, who owns the 328's?

I bet Comair doesn't feel so left out now, after the whole jealousy thing with ASA and Chatauqua getting new airplanes.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

alphascan

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:51 am

As I read the article, ACA has the right to keep any or all of the 328's if they wish, or force DL to take them, but has yet to make up their mind.

This seems to give ACA the power to leave DL hanging in the wind for a while like UA did to them. Let's hope they act a little more maturely than UA.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

tjwgrr

Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:03 am

"So, who owns the 328's?"
-----------------------------------------

"Contractual terms obligate Delta to assume the leases on all 30 Fairchild Dornier 328JET aircraft, a condition ACA was expected to enforce"

Lessor:

WACHOVIA BANK NA TRUSTEE
401 S TRYON ST
CHARLOTTE, NC, 28202-1934
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

AVPOH77

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:05 am

I seriously hope these birds don't find their way into AVP like they did ERI and ACY.
Fly Delta Jets

krisair747

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:25 am

Nice try Erich!!! From what I hear, AVP will be getting 3 CVG-AVP flights a day on the FRJ!!! And your CRJ's will now be on the CVG-ACY route!! ASk Todd about it!!

RC

FLY COMAIR JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Open your heart and push the limits

AVPOH77

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:39 am

Oh the Horror....we already lost our Saturday terminator from CVG as well as our Sunday Orig to CVG. I doubt we will see all FRJ's to Cincy our loads are to high. Maybe an added CVG flight using an FRJ possibly a 9am flight..
Fly Delta Jets

BILLAMT

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:50 am

Does ACA management realize how much they are messing up their company's future by going it alone? The loss of the Delta and United contracts represents a huge loss of revenue. I realize I'm biased, but YV management was right, there's more money in being a feeder than going alone

Let point out that Mr. Ornstein wants to do the same thing, only with mothballed equipment. Do you really think he believed what he was saying? His actions speak louder than his words.