TG992
Topic Author

Air Asia

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:04 am

Has anyone been on Air Asia before? Are they any good?

-

keno

RE: Air Asia

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:25 am

You can read some reviews here:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_asia.htm

Haven't been on one myself, but I'm planning to fly with them in under 2 weeks' time KUL-BKI-KUL.

Airbus Lover

Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:12 pm

They are good. If you're lucky u get to fly on their 'newer' (recently entered service with new interior but these are generally older planes by age) they have nice interior, all redone with leather seats and red carpet during heavy mx checks. pitch is not really good though.

food are on sale and are not cheap compared to places in malaysia but considering currency exchange it is still cheap.

only comment is that some of their pilots are young, new and inexperienced ( a fact that is confirmed from a source within that airline i will not disclose ). remember they had those 2 incidents in november within 2 days?

maintenance wise they are very good and a/c are pretty well maintained nothing to worry about. they have a new hangar in KLIA that IIRC can service up to 2 B737s at the same time.

however they are working on it. they are taking in cadet pilots and going through better and more intensive training. leased a B737 simulator from CAE to be based in KLIA. Signed agreements with a local flying school academy to train their cadet pilots.

mas a330

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:00 pm

Hi there.

I did not enjoy my flights with Air Asia in the past. The seats were uncomfortable, their aircraft seem old, dull ambience, their food are expensive.

But my flights were in 2002, I dont know if they have improved and how their newer aircraft are like. I also do not want to know.

C ya  Smile

keno

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:34 pm

Then how did they manage to win Skytrax Best LCC last year? (together with JetBlue)

tsentsan

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:12 pm

Most of my 11 flights with them were average. Same as what you would expect from SIA.. only 1 flight exceeded expectations, way better than any airline I've been on, better than SIA, MAS, Ansett, Qantas, CX etc.
NO URLS in signature

Airbus Lover

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:45 am

Winning the title of best LCC doesn't mean they have the best cabin service!

They are definitely innovative and provide the best fares out there providing affordable travel. That way they are already the best LCC in ASEAN.

Cabin service wise they are just average and cabin comfort they have a lot more to do across their fleet. Like i said they are safe to fly, aircraft well taken care of and F/As are sometimes friendly. worth a try only complain is with the pilots in the AK (not FD!) roster. After a try you can then decide whether or not you want to fly them again  Big grin.

IIRC they won the title along with Virgin Blue and not jetBlue.

aussie_

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:17 am

I flew them almost exactly one month ago KUL-PEN-KUL.

I found the planes to be clean, flights ontime, crew friendly and enthusiastic and generally a really good experience.

Of course it also helped that the total return fare (including all taxes) was A$13 or just under USD10!!!!! Far better than even Ryanair, though granted it's a short flight.

Airbus Lover

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:14 am

KUL-PEN is a 50 minutes flight scheduled on both MH and AK but AK can easily do it around 40 minutes at times  Big grin

Their cost saving methods are umm surprising at times  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Their pilot's way of flying to save time and maximize savings can be said to compromise safety.