SQ25J
Topic Author

Airport Medical Clinics

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:11 am

I have noticed some international airports have medical clinics-which I feel are necessary at medium to large airports, yet some large airports don't. An example is the one at FRA that is apparently fairly busy. I think most European airports have them, but not so in US, (only aware of one at JFK). Has anyone else noticed the difference in availability in different parts of world?
Also foreign (non-US), airports are more likely to have pharmacies while US airports don't?

Go3Team

RE: Airport Medical Clinics

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:19 am

As for pharmacies, I can't think of any reason for an airport to have one, unless your referring to OTC medicine. As for a clinic, all of them should have at least EMTs at the ready for emergencies. You never know when and where a plane will need to divert, in order to save someone's life.
Yay Pudding!

wilco

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:37 am

SFO has its own medical clinic (St. Mary's in the old International Terminal)... its used mostly by employees I think- That's where I went for a random drug test. However, there is no pharmacy. Medical emergencies don't go here though, they are taken by ambulance to SF General Hospital which is about a 10-15 minute ride north.
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

SQ25J
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:42 am

Thats exactly the reason I posted this topic! You would be surprised at how necessary these facilities are at international hubs-which in a way are small cities. People from all over the world transit FRA, LHR, AMS, CDG, JFK, LAX, etc and they are not always in good helath. When you travel internationally-things happen and you may unexpectedly find yourself in need of doctor or medicene. I was fortunate to have these available on one occasion and noticed that there are a consideable amount of people utilizing this, once agin not so common in US.

andz

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:11 pm

JNB has a travel clinic but doesn't have AED's everywhere like I saw at LHR and ORD. It also has a full service pharmacy.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...