aguilo

MHT: The Alternative To Logan!

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:54 am

MHT is a great alternative to Logan. Though one that is unfortunately being quickly discovered by many people.

- Cheap convenient parking
- No traffic
- Brand new terminal building
- Easy baggage reclaim
- Friendly employees
- No Air Traffic related delays
- Comfortable
- Rarely closes due to snow
- Newly extended runways (no more scary landings in 757s that feel they are going to roll right into the parking lot on landing)
- Everything you'd want in an airport!

Only downsides are that 1) No International Service other than to Toronto 2) Popularity of the airport combined with the airports small size has led to expensive fares at what was supposed to be a "cheaper alternative to Logan". Despite the presence of Southwest, it can often be significantly cheaper to fly through Logan than through MHT.

ozzie

RE: MHT: The Alternative To Logan!

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:05 am

Aguilo, I agree with you wholly.

Every summer I go to Maine and Boston and I try to book my flights through MHT or PVD, avoiding Logan. Sometimes I get stuck flying into BDL, and we drive north  Sad

BA747400

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:07 am

Aguilo,
I completely agree with everything you said. It IS more convenient, and sometimes a little cheaper too. Although its a small terminal, I have to say; it never feels like that. Security always moves fast, there's a smoking room...etc. Like you said, the only downfall is the lack of international service. I can understand why this is, and I suppose its a good thing: Having a 744 bringing hundreds of PAX into that terminal would ruin everything the airport represents!
Anyway, well posted.

Regards,
Mike

My only question is this: Why doesn't AA fly into MHT? I think it would be quite profitable for them.

ssides

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:21 am

My only question is this: Why doesn't AA fly into MHT? I think it would be quite profitable for them.

If AA thought it would be profitable, they'd fly there.

AA is interesting, though, when it comes to secondary airports. They have a big operation at LAX, yet they fly to SNA, ONT, etc. They have a big hub at MIA, yet they fly to (and are beefing up) FLL. They have a major hub at ORD, yet they fly to MDW. However, with the big hub at DFW, they don't fly to DAL (of course, there are Wright Amendment restrictions here).

They probably don't serve MHT because they already fly to PVD, BOS, PWM, and BDL. That probably wraps us as much of New England as they're going to get.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

flyboyaz

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:38 am

MHT is a great airport...I'm biased because it's my home airport too! I've been flying in there since I was about 12, back when we had the old terminal. It was a great experience.

AA did fly to MHT for a brief time in the 80's I think. I remember seeing the ticket counter there, though I believe it was only Eagle service. TWA also served MHT for a time to JFK, also on Express.
Catch a ride on a smile!

clrd2go

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:41 am

My home airport as well! I can leave my house in Litchfield, NH and be
in the parking garage in 15 minutes. I miss the good spotting area we used
to have there, but I understand there are plans to create a new one..

I seem to recall reading last week some discussion (mht Yahoo group?) that
AA was talking about starting mainline service at MHT.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

aguilo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:48 am

AA used to fly into MHT up until about 1999 or 2000, but even then they only had AA Eagle service using SAAB 340s. Strange thing was that AA was the only airline to pull out eventhough this was the time when MHT was rapidly expanding and getting more and more service from everyone else - this was also when Massport started pushing the "regional airport" idea as an alternative to Logan after the NIMBYs around BOS started acting up. I think they pulled out because of a strategic business decision, essentially AA is focussing its operations on only serving major markets.

Someone above mentioned all the surrounding airports they serve around LAX and ORD, but even those "secondaries" are major markets onto themselves. AA flies into Burlington, VT and Portland, ME because these are the only airports in those regions at all.

AA recently was evaluating re-entry into MHT along with JetBlue and AirTran but all decided against it unfortunately. JetBlue was debating BOS v. MHT, but went with BOS instead. Too bad, because MHT fares can be pretty high, eventhough Southwest serves the airport (their flights are always PACKED)

With MHT though, it is only 45 minutes to 1 hour by car to BOS so the market is essentially the same as the BOS market. Shame though, I've emailed AA several times recommending that they conisder AA but seems like they're not interested - only reason I won't fly AA - those AAdvantage miles will be useless to me since they dont serve my favorite airport.

Nice thing about MHT also is that even the airport administration is relatively accessible. Have sent emails and questions to their Airport Director several times through the website (www.flymanchester.com) and always get a prompt reply either from him personally or one of the #2s

(B747400 and Ozzie - glad you agree with my prior post!)

MHTOH

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:54 am

I wish AA would come back into MHT again (Eagle should have never left...) MHT is a great airport (yes I am biased as well), and I never fly out of Logan unless I have to. Now that the "small" terminal expansion is done, within the next year, the other expansion will begin going the otherway for SWA. With the new runway completed, a new tower underway, and a new parking garage being planned on the backside of the current one, MHT will continue to be an excellent alternative to BOS for a long time to come!

mhtoh
mmm...jet fuel...

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:05 am

Starting July 6, WN will introduce non-stop service to PHL. Using the drop in fares when FL re-established PHL-BOS service last year and WN starting PHL-PVD service on May 9; one will get a pretty good indication of how low PHL-MHT fares will be.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

aguilo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:41 am

USAir - always so protective of its MHT-PHL route must be SOOOOOO mad!

(they already got bumped from their prime ticket counter locale in the MHT terminal by Southwest, who has the largest carrier had to have the extra space afforded by being on the end of the ticket counter area)

airbazar

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:46 am

But MHT is not for everyone. For most of us who live inside 128 MHT is just not a very viable alternative. It takes me only 15 minutes to get to BOS from my house 15 miles north of Boston. I can take a cab and save on parking, or I can take the Commuter rail to North Station and hop on a cab to the airport from there. Total travel time=1 hour by train/cab. It takes me longer than that just to drive from my house to MHT. There are no trans-atlantic flights from MHT, which make up the bulk of my trips; very few non-stop destinations; and certainly not the frquencies that business travelers want. The best thing about MHT is that if enough people start using it, BOS will be less crowded for those of us who prefer it  Smile

iflyatldl

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:59 am

MHT is a bit pricy out of ATL. So, I use BOS.  Smile Maybe if FL started service..... Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

aguilo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:10 am

Very ironic how MHT was supposed to be the lowe price alterniative to BOS, but now BOS is actually the low price alternative to MHT.

As much as I like MHT it is usually much cheaper to fly through BOS than MHT strangely enough - probably because of the high load factors and comparatively limited routes from MHT.

All the MHT bound flights I've been on are always PACKED (except for the 10pm departing PIT-MHT on US sometimes)

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:15 am

USAir - always so protective of its MHT-PHL route must be SOOOOOO mad!

That's just the tip of the iceberg. US's CEO David Siegel's words regarding WN coming to PHL (a major hub & international gateway for US) a couple of weeks ago, "Southwest is coming to kill us."

Now That's Entertainment.

P.S. - No disresect to the fine employees of US Airways.

[Edited 2004-04-08 20:16:15]

[Edited 2004-04-08 20:17:30]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

TonyBurr

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:41 am

I booked a rt Southwest flight PHL-MHT for August. Total fare including taxes - $76.00! Match that US!

clrd2go

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:38 am

I do wish AirTran served MHT. I have 2 (grown) children in the Atlanta area
and now that one of them has made me a grandpa, I'd like to get down there
more often and they definitely are the cheapest.

Jim

zrs70

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:50 am

I remember before the current terminal was built, MHT had an old-time small brick building. They actually built one or two ground level jetways into the crammed space! I loved that old building!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

clrd2go

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:53 am

That old building was great..I could walk off the plane, out of the terminal,
and be in my car in about 5 minutes. If 2 jets landed at the same time, the
terminal was a disaster

Jim

deltairlines

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:51 am

I too normally find fares slightly cheaper out of BOS than out of MHT...don't ask me why...

Anyway, I am flying out of MHT for the first time next Saturday...first time flying out (after having been to the airport countless times to go spotting)...I'm taking DL down to MCO, paid $271 for the ticket, while DL wanted about $385 out of BOS. Right now the flight is pretty full (I think they have 1-2 seats left), so people are booking these flights up. I am looking forward to saving some $$$ on parking (MHT is $8/day, I pay $14 minimum at BOS, depending if I park off-site or on-airport)...

Anyway, either BOS or MHT serves me well, so it's a win-win situation for me.

Jeff

aguilo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:00 am

You can actually still see the original terminal building at MHT (I believe its a white little one story building with a strange looking pillar shaped design feature in the middle - kind of an art deco looking kind of thing). The little original terminal building sits abandoned and alone at the far end of one of the runways

Emailed the Airport Adminstration the other day and asked them to post pics of the new addition on the airport website. They said they though it was a great idea (guess the forgot they even had a website), though last I checked they hadn't posted yet.

Sure do wish AA would come to MHT - need more airlines at this great airport

SimpleMinded

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:29 am

I think MHT is a great airport, I always find cheaper fares out of MHT, for example I found a NWA first fare out of MHT for $1200.00 and out of BOS it was $2600.00 Big grin

A very good airport indeed!!!
Um, I like..... yea ok

navairjax

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:03 am

MHT seems to be a $$ saver when flying long haul usually a one or two stop flight vs something that may be served nonstop out of BOS. However when it comes to service on high competition routes BOS is much cheaper. I used MHT all the time when I lived in San Diego, but since I moved to Florida I have gone to BOS ever since. Although I do agree that MHT is a much nicer airport, the prime factor ($$$$$) that used to draw me there no longer exists from my market.

ScottDavid

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:13 am

I have flown into MHT to go to Vermont because it is MUCH cheaper than BTV even though it ican be quite a drive depending where you are going.

However, no one can deny, BOS has gotten 1000 times easier since the Ted Williams Tunnel opened...granted, it is something obscene like $6 each way.

iflyatldl

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:26 am

I'm really surprised FL hasn't targeted MHT. That's the type market they shoot for. Arrgg! BOS is just too close!  Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

GD727

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:39 am

PVD is a good alternative also, if you live in the southern Boston suburbs. I've personally never been to MHT, but I am flying out of there for the first time next Thursday. From what I've heard, it's a nice airport.

Hey, does anyone here know what gate Pan Am uses at MHT? I am taking the morning flight down to SFB. Also, is the third floor observation deck that I heard about still opened?
Mmmm forbidden donut.

chrisnh

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:41 am

I am the founder of the Yahoo MHT Group, and we have a great mix of members. I invite you to join!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/manchesterairportmht/

Now, as for the commonly held belief that AA won't come to MHT because it will somehow cannibalize BOS service, or that somehow they'd lose money at MHT: Why are UA, NW, US, and DL all at MHT??? All four carriers have major operations at Logan, yet also serve MHT...quite well and profitably, I might add. The reason may well have to do as much with available gate space during the big outbound morning push and the late evening inbound one. In short, there isn't any space. There are remotely-parked jets all over the place at MHT each morning. I do think you will see JetBlue at MHT (with their RJs) before you see AA here. AA just seems to have an aversion to MHT, which is fine. We're certainly not going to live or die by what AA does; in fact, we've done fabulous without them.

Chris in NH

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:20 pm

I love MHT if I'm flying domestic in the US from where my brother lives (Just across the NH/MA state line, near Methuen MA). So much easer to get to, less busy and more convenient than BOS, and generally not much more expensive (at least recently). Unfortunately for international flying its no good - it means having to transit a US gateway which is never fun - rather just fly into BOS, get the pain over with, and catch the Logan Express.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

aguilo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:56 am

Chris NH: I too would love to see Jet Blue at MHT with their RJs but that's never going to happen unfortunately. JetBlue as an LCC can in know way justify flying to MHT when it is already in BOS. They already evaluated MHT along with AA and sadly decided against it - that's why they are in BOS.

As far as AA not coming to MHT because of a lack of space at the gates - I don't think you are right about that one either. I've emailed the Airport Administrators several times on this, and they've told me that they are always trying to lobby more airlines to serve MHT, particularly AA they are most interested in - this even BEFORE the new terminal addition was added. In short, had AA signed up they would have found room for them somewhere, even if it meant taking one gate away from US (like they took a gate away from United when Delta started mainline service). Now that CO and NWA have moved to the new terminal addition, there are 3 open gates with not being used and tons of extra ticket counter space.

I think its a mistake on AAs part, but lets face it, the reason AA isn't serving MHT is because its part of their business plan to focus primarily on serving major market airports (unlike US that wants to fly to every East Coast airport, UAL that wants to fly to every airport etc. etc.)

aguilo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:59 am

Oh and yes the observation deck is still open I think (or at least it was last time I was at MHT). View however is sadly limited...you can't see any of the gates below you and you can only see the main runway, not the secondary that is often used...

chrisnh

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:49 am

Aguilo, JetBlue is indeed bullish on MHT and Neeleman said as much. They did NOT go to BOS 'instead of' MHT...they simply went to BOS first. If Neeleman himself says that MHT is in JetBlue's plans--and he has--I'm interested in learning how you've heard differently.

As for gate space, I am talking about gate space at peak times. Sure, if AA wants to fly through MHT during the off-peak hours then there is gate space galore. But no airline starting service at MHT with multiple flights wants to do so WITHOUT being able to depart during the morning push or arrive during the late-night one. AA is NOT a carrier that will 'take what's available.' And 'what's available' for gate space during key times is NOT very much...no matter WHAT MHT management says. Go to MHT some time at 6am or 7am, or 10pm or 11pm and tell me which 'available' gates you'd assign a couple AA MD-80s to.

aguilo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:02 am

I would assign the ONE MD80 that AA would have at MHT to one of USAir's 4 gates before the expansion. With the expansion (that had been planned for quite a long time by the way yet still has not prompted AA to sign on with MHT) to either of the 3 gates left by empty by NWA and CO's move.

I have in fact been to MHT regularly at peak times and know how busy it can be. Nevertheless, MHT is desperate to get AA - the largest carrier in the world to MHT. I think we will eventually see AA at MHT, but I think its rather foolish to think that the only reason they haven't come yet is because there isn't the space, especially when AA Eagle pulled out of MHT as the airport was rapidly expanding. AA isn't at MHT because it doesn't fit their business plan.

As for JetBlue, I'd be interested in seeing exactly where it was that you saw the CEO say that even after the start of service at BOS they were interested in MHT. MHT was keenly competing with BOS to determine who was going to get JetBlue, this because the administrators knew that JetBlue would not serve both MHT and BOS - just one or the other - at least for now. Though I would be thrilled to see JetBlue at MHT, it simply makes no sense from their perspective to serve Boston, Burlington VT AND MHT. As popular as JetBlue is, don't forget that it is in fact a Low Cost Carrier.