boeing767-383

Amazingly Incompetent Ryanair Cabincrew

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:10 am

Yesterday I flew Ryanair from London Stansted to Aarhus Denmark. The flight was operated by a 737-200 (it was 6PM and I overheard that the aircraft had been flyingwith the same crew all day).

1: it was an Italian crew, friendly but impossible to understand. Their English was so poor that I reckon only 30-40% of the passengers understood the what was being said during the preflight security demonstration (and that might not be that bad a thing!!). I think that they should put at least one person with understandable English on every flight flying out of the UK.
As they were Italians they could not the destination language (Danish) and i that does not bother me, but when the crew are having difficulties at the English language it will be hard for the not so trained englishspeakers (i study English myself so it wasn't that much of a problem for me.

2. The Italian purser started the preflight safety demo by saying "welcome aboard this Ryanair Boeing 737-800 (it was a 200!). Alright, he could have made a mistake and just hoped that no one noticed it (since under half understood ´what he was saying). nut then he said "this aircraft has 4 emergency exits (and theentire crew does the movement showing 4 exits (and the 200 only has 3!!!!) they didn't even look they just showed the exits to be in the wall and they didn't show where the real emergency exit was, above the wing (and the lights were on above the doors, they didn't even look!), and they had been flying that aircraft all day. I was speechless they continued the entire demo as were they on an -800, totally oblivious to their surroundings. I mean... you have to be pretty stupid to say that an aircraft has 4 exist when it has 3 that has lights flashing above them.

At first I laughed that someone could be so unprofessional, but when I got to think of it I got scared, if an emergency evacuation was going to take place the crew would have been to absolutely no use, if we had crashed and needed to deplane quickly, life's would have been lost for sure. I support the no frills concept, but the training (and quality) should be highest standard no frills or not!

and to add to that: it took 14 minutes from the plane shutdown the engines at the gate until we were pushed back from the gate. I wonder how good the waskaround check done by the pilot was?! Given that he had to do his paperwork also. All I can say is: Ryanair has seen the last of my money!

boeing767-383

RE: Amazingly Incompetent Ryanair Cabincrew

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:16 am

sorry for the misspellings, i did a speel check but the changes doesnt seem to have worked  Sad hope that it is understandable..

TS-IOR

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:30 am

This report should be sent to Ryanair's CEO.

The crew is "innocent" here and only FR managers should be blamed.
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

B747-437B

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:41 am

this aircraft has 4 emergency exits (and theentire crew does the movement showing 4 exits (and the 200 only has 3!!!!)

Umm... the 737-200 absolutely has 4 emergency exits, 2 each at the front and the rear - plus 2 overwing exits.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

boeing767-383

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:43 am

thats right, but thats totals at 6, then the -800 has 8. let me rehprase it to "sets" of emergency exist then....

TS-IOR

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:52 am

SMART reply B747-437B !!! He meant three (3) each side OK...
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

dc-10 levo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:58 am

I'd send a letter to Ryanair customer services. Their number for your country can be found at http://www.ryanair.com. I didn't think crews were allowed to work for more than so many hours?

DC-10

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:05 am

You get what you pay for. For better or for worse...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ltbewr

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:15 am

I live in the USA, and have taken a number of LLC flights in the USA. From this fourm I have learned that Ryanair is an airline that makes Southwest look like a legacy carrier. To me Ryanair is heading right for disaster with their legendary extremes of cheapness. They make to old 80's US's PeopleExpress look good. If this crew was this incompentent, then what about other crews on other flights? If I want to fly an LLC in Europe, I would consider EasyJet first and never Ryanair.

UAORD

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:20 am

I had the same experience on a UA flight yesterday from PHX-ORD. The purser first identified the wrong plane we were on and second her English was very poor.

Luckily the 757 has an animated emergency procedure film they show but it does bring some discomfort when you first board the flight and can not understand a word the lead flight-attendant is talking about. The ironic thing was the rest of the crew was Chicago and Denver based and would have done a much better job welcoming aboard etc.

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:24 am

To be fair, Ryanair are normally pretty competent on the safety stuff, although there are candid camera moments every now and then.

I don't think they're going away. Their prices are too good for that.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

UAORD

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:36 am

If it had been an all Irish crew, I do not think the majority of the people would have understood or been able keep-up with the flight attendents anyways!!

DoorsToManual

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:43 am

Uaord, LOL!!  Big thumbs up

Boeing767, on a more serious note if you feel the operation was unsafe for God's sake write to Customer Services reporting the crew. It's the only way they (may) sit up and do something about it. I've flown Ryanair more times than I can count on my fingers and never had a problem with the crew. Even so, maybe I was lucky. Be sure to report them. That goes for any airline.

regards

Spike

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:52 am

What did you expect? Frills rather than thrills?

trident2e

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:58 am

No point in complaining to Ryanair - your letter will most probably end up in the bin. If you have a genuine concern about the safety of a flight you should make a formal complaint to your country's aviation authority who will then be bound to investigate.

StarFlyer

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:13 am

I hate to say it, but its just a matter of time until the Ryanair bubble bursts.

Once they no longer receive those indirect subsidies (i.e. not being charged fees at most airports) and their staff gains seniority they won't be able to keep their prices as low. Meaning less passengers will travel with them.
At the same time a lot of regular fliers will turn away from them because of their horrible attitude towards the customer. And then who is going to fly aboard their huge fleet of 737s around Europe? Some event fliers and notorious low fare passengers maybe. Hardly a way to make a profit.

Better change the strategy sooner than later, MOL.

Just my 0.02?.

Regards!
StarFlyer

[Edited 2004-04-09 21:15:43]
Yours truly - StarFlyer

boeing767-383

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:32 am

Well, this was my first bad experience with them. The crew was very friendly, they were just bad educated. I actually believed the seat pitch was good, I am 1.95 meters high and I had no problem sitting in the seat. I know very well that I get what I pay for, and I don't min whether or not the aircraft has had a cleaning in a month or so, but education of crew should not be compromised no matter the price....

miami1

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:16 pm

I just flew thai from Phuket to Bangkok on an A330 the cabin crew only appeared from the back galley on take off role. two of the crew realised half way down the aisle on take off that they where not going too make thier seats at doors 3 so one sat in the aisle and the other in an empty pax seat leaving doors 3 unattended.. needless too say they found this funny and laughed it off with each other. The next flight from Bkk To SYD was vile. rude lazy crew who really couldnt be bothered with pax complaints and questions just shrugging off questions or simply walking away when confronted. No water patrols and dirty toilets that never got cleaned. NEVER AGAIN ON THAI.

yyz717

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:27 pm

At the same time a lot of regular fliers will turn away from them because of their horrible attitude towards the customer. And then who is going to fly aboard their huge fleet of 737s around Europe? Some event fliers and notorious low fare passengers maybe. Hardly a way to make a profit.L

Ummm.....last time I checked FR was the most profitable airline in Europe, was growing their revenue over 20% pa, and had the 2nd largest market cap of any EU carrier. They seem to be pleasing far more passengers than they are pissing off.

Regarding the safety issue, you should send a letter of complaint to the CEO. Of course, in a true emergency, these young Italian FA's might perform just as well as legacy carrier Fa's.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

greaser

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:31 pm

This is so weird, everyone here thrashes Ryanair for 'bad service' or 'incompetent cabin crew', but i have never ever experienced anything bad with Ryanair! In fact, i preferred it over BA for regional!
Now you're really flying

AR385

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:14 pm

In my opinion, this shows only one thing. No matter how lousy the airline is, it is the responsibility of the passenger and only of him to know what to do and how to behave in an emergency. The passenger should be aware of his surroundings, know how to take care of emergency exits, (open them and in what circumstances) and count the number of seats to the nearest one, to the front or to the back. You just simply cannot count on the crew to take the responsibility of your own life.

Your post should be read by all those idiots who while the crew is giving the emergency procedures demonstration (knowledgeable crews) are reading a book, magazine, paper, dozing off, etc.

It also is a motivation to READ THE SAFETY INFORMATION CARD.

No matter how incompetent the crew is, its high time the passenger stops behaving like a sheep or a cow and takes the initiative to know what to do if the worst comes to pass.

An example, is that Austrian plane that landed in snow a few meters from Munich airport. They all stayed inside!!. Forgive me, but no matter what the captain says, or the crew, if I land OFF THE AIRPORT, I'm exiting the thing. But apparently everybody stayed in, comfy and warm. Cattle to the slaughter. Fortunately nothing happen but I think I made my point.

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:21 pm

Why should Ryanair stop receiving payments from airports and local authorities? The airports gain from it through shopping and the area gains through business. Ryanair is here to stay.

pelican

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:07 pm

I don't believe the Ryanair will lost all of it's profits but they have lost their case at the European court and they have to pay back some of their subsidies. And there already more cases against FR and also easyjet...

shankly

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:40 pm

On a Ryanair flight from Stansted to Dinard about three years ago I watched oil flow generously throughout the flight from starboard engine of the 737-200 we were aboard. The plane was full and I was flying with two friends (all of us fly, albeit privately); we decided not to notify the crew during the flight as we assumed they would be watching their dials anyway. After landing we did however inform the crew, if nothing else on the basis of common sense and good airmanship, albeit passive. We then watched in amazement as 25 minutes later the 73 was turned around and departed without either pilot having left his station. I have never flown them since nor ever will.
L1011 - P F M

schweizair

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:45 am

Boeing 767-383: Ryanair!? Are you sure you weren't on Aeroflot? I seriously do not know what I would do in such a situation. I'd probably hit the floor laughing or I'd grab my bags and run for the exit!

DeltaMD11

Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:57 pm

Well, I would certainly contact someone at RyanAir about your experience. We're talking about human lives and putting them at risk.

I've only ever had a foreign crew on a US airline once and that was on NW from SAN-MSP on a 320 quite a few years back. The entire cabin crew was Japanese, but they all spoke english well and knew the aircraft like the backs of their hands. I'm under the assumption that they were one of NW's Int'l crews doing a domestic stint for whatever reason. On top of that though, all of the flying that I have done on non-US based carriers, the crew has always spoken English very well. Hell on LX, all of the F/A's and pilots spoke fluent English, German, and French. Hows that for a mix? Also when flying from IAH-Merida Mexico, and then from CUN-CLE on Conti 733's the entire crew was fluent in both English and Spanish. I think that it's very important to have at least an ample knowledge of the language in the country in which you are departing from, and the one in which you intend on landing in. Even if one crew member knew either language (departing and arriving country) fairly well and can speak it with some fluidity and with a level of comprehensiveness. Just as long as the message gets out, and then the rest of the crew can assist everyone to safety. It may end up costing the airline a bit more upfront, but it's better than dishing out on average $2.5 million per death caused by the airline.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

trident2e

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:07 pm

AR385 - your advice to read the safety card is pretty useless if, like me on one occassion, you are flying on an Olympic 737 but find safety instructions for a 727 in the seat pocket!

DeltaMD11

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:09 pm

Trident,
Either that or when the safety card is missing because some a.netter snatched it  Big grin That's another thing my people....always remember to ask if you want to take a safety card. Usually they'll give you a fresh one from back in the galley if you ask nicely...either that or they'll just let you take one from the seat and replace it behind you.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

777236ER

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:11 pm

You didn't think of pointing out to the cabin crew the illegality of their safety demo? You were happy to just sit there?
Your bone's got a little machine

fraT

Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:41 am

"No matter how incompetent the crew is, its high time the passenger stops behaving like a sheep or a cow and takes the initiative to know what to do if the worst comes to pass.

An example, is that Austrian plane that landed in snow a few meters from Munich airport. They all stayed inside!!. Forgive me, but no matter what the captain says, or the crew, if I land OFF THE AIRPORT, I'm exiting the thing. But apparently everybody stayed in, comfy and warm. Cattle to the slaughter. Fortunately nothing happen but I think I made my point."

AR385,
you are saying, the crew of the Austrian flight was incompetent. How can you say that. The pilot did an excelent job bringing this plane down in one piece. Not sure where you got your information from but everybody over here agreed, that the whole crew did what they had to do. BTW it landed 3 miles/5 kilometers short of the runway, not meters.

AR385

Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:54 am

FraT,

Notwithstanding the excellent job the pilot did, I still think it was incompetent of the crew not to evacuate the aircraft as soon as it came to a stop. One event is different from the other. You never know what may have been broken or pierced in such a situation. I said meters to be in the safe side, as I did not remember correctly. And I am not sure where you got your information, but in the threads that developed here, a lot people agreed and a lot disagreed. I, for one disagree. Of course, it's my opinion and you may well have a different point of view.

mika

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:21 am

Amen to all my bruvvas in here who stand up for Ryanair!  Big grin The thing is that there are many people out there who board that FR A/C with an already extremely negative approach to the airline and they use every little fault they can find to fuel their own attitudes towards it. Basic human psychology. I'm not saying that the person who posted this thread is lying but what i just said holds very true in many cases.

I think that many many people who have a negative attitude towards Ryanair and who sometimes haven't even flown them are simply scared (why i really don't know) that their own pretty little flag carrier (SAS, Alitalia, BA etc) will be crushed by the huge boot in the ass that is Ryanair! Face it people, whichever carrier takes me from point A to B with the cheapest fare, i'll fly! The same goes for the average Joe out there.

AR385

Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 am

I do not know what the crew's instructions were. Whoever had read the safety card would have known how to operate the door. That's the point of the safety card. Your scenario is one of the possible outcomes. And yes, I consider and off the airport landing sufficient enough reason to exit the aircraft immediately. Now, your name-calling is rude and uncalled for. I hope your post gets deleted. Personal attacks get you knowhere in a civil, open discussion forum

777236ER

Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:49 am

As I said, without the personal attack:

You would have ignored the crew's instructions, gone to a door and opened it with no experience of doors and slide arming mechanisms, created a mass panic, caused the injuries of countless people in the ensuing evacuation and more than likely caused people to DIE after waiting up to an hour in the snow - which would most likely happen? You'd be (rightly so) arrested under manslaughter charges.

You have no right to second-guess the crew in an emergency

AR385, a safety card cannot possibly show someone exactly how to operate the door. Passengers should open doors if absolutly nessecary, and under instructions from crew - definatly NOT when the crew have told passengers not to evacuate.

And yes, I consider and off the airport landing sufficient enough reason to exit the aircraft immediately.

It's not up to you, you have no idea of the situation. It's completly up to the crew. Going against the instructions of the crew not only puts your life in danger, but also the lives of everyone else in the aircraft.
Your bone's got a little machine

A340600

Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:54 am

The only reason i'd ever fly them is to get the 732, but I guess they just see them all as -800's LOL Laugh out loud

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

SpruceGoose

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:09 am

Shame on all of those who posted the "You get what you pay for" comments! No Frills airlines are exactly what they say, but under no circumstances should safety EVER take a back seat. I have no problem in sitting back and getting bored for lack of an inflight movie, or no food. But should the plane have to ditch or come down in an emergency, I would be putting all my faith in the cabin crew that I am evacuated safely. There should never be a cut back in training, and shame on those who take that as an acceptable state of an LCC!

AR385: Because you're an aviation enthusiast, that makes you qulaified to know when to exit a plane or not!? Grow up!!! Their should never be a point when a passenger overules the F/A's and the Left Seat. People like you annoy me so much. Because you have taken a few flights and watched a few briefings, read a few books, you think you know better than those in the profession. Sitting in your seat does not make you fully aware of the situation you AND others are in.

DeltaMD11

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:20 am

Ar385,
The last time passengers took things into their own hands it was on a Delta flight whereas the aircraft simply experienced a hot start. Passengers started to evacuate the aircraft without the crews intructions to do so and caused a panic. People ended up with cuts, scrapes, bruises, twisted ankles and the like from the whole throng. You don't do anything unless the crew says so. Obviously if the aircraft is engulfed in flames you're not going to sit there strapped into your seat until a F/A walks up and tells you it's okay to run, but in other situations it's pertinent that you remain where you are until you hear otherwise from the crew.

[Edited 2004-04-13 00:22:52]

DoorsToManual

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:27 am

"AR385: Because you're an aviation enthusiast, that makes you qulaified to know when to exit a plane or not!? Grow up!!! Their should never be a point when a passenger overules the F/A's and the Left Seat. People like you annoy me so much. Because you have taken a few flights and watched a few briefings, read a few books, you think you know better than those in the profession. Sitting in your seat does not make you fully aware of the situation you AND others are in."

In some ways you have a point; the cabin crew should have better knowledge of the aircraft and emergency procedures, but don't take that as given. The whole point of the safety demo is to show passengers how to help *themselves* get off the aircraft as quickly as possible; of course, if possible, the cabin crew will do all they can to help people get off quickly, but speaking in a personal capacity, I would rather rely on myself having memorized the nearest exit etc. If the Cabin crew can direct me after the a/c has crashed, great.

One thing is certain; the cabin crew are unlikely to hang around inside a burning aircraft - that's why it's important to pay attention to the safety demo, and that's why operation of the doors are included in the safety cards.

DO NOT rely on the Cabin crew to get you out.

Delta777Jet

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:34 am

Ryanair will get big problems in the future if they don`t change their altitude of doing service to the passengers, that is for sure.
Why they make profits ?
Easyjet is leasing aircrafts and offering a nice low cost service, they have to pay each hour maintenance reserves to their Lessor.

Ryanair is financing aircrafts, what means they just pay finance rate per month to the bank and take care of the maintenance stuff theirself, what means that they pay maintenance reserve in their own bubble.

If Ryanair gets into problems I don`t want to see the Royal Bank of Scotland and the other irish banks who financed this 100 B 737-800 aircrafts  Wink/being sarcastic

But back to the security point of view.
I had on all of my FR flights no problems with Safety On Board procedures as well on italian based crews. They allways showing as well the live vest demonstration, also if the flight is not going to cross water, so no complain about it.

The other Maintenance on the aircraft itsself I don`t want to rate I think just the engineers of FR can tell about it.

I think the 732 are in bad shape but this is just what I think.

RGDS
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-788/DC-10-10/30/L-1011-1/500/MD-81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL-18/ATR-42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

SpruceGoose

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:46 am

DoorsToManual:

I know what you mean - I myself memorise where the exits are from the moment I board the plane to when I find my seat.
I don't expect the cabin crew to get me out of my seat and show me the exit. They are there to assist. I for one don't plan to be sitting in my seat trying to find some decent IFE while the plane is going up in flames.  Smile What annoys me is when some PAX think they no better as to when to evacuate.

AR385

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:24 am

SpruceGoose, DeltaMD11

What are you trying to do? Convince that my point of view is wrong? Sorry, it's not going to happen. I stand by my statement. And if I annoy you so much, DeltaMD11, then don't read my posts. I am an aviation enthusiast but I have also taken courses on aviation safety and I know how to handle emergency exits. Again, I myself am not going to wait around until some FA tells me what to do. And for your info., sometimes the crew does not know what is going on on back, and there are countless examples of that. A dramatic one. Think about the SAUDIA L1011 that managed to land safely with a fire inside and not a single person managed to open any door. Everybody died. Save your hostility for another place. What you are writing is not respectful disagreement.

DeltaMD11

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:36 am

Whoa now big fella. First off, there is no hostility in my post above. Secondly, it's not a point of view, it's a matter of listening to the cabin crew (ooo I'm a poet and didn't know it). Thirdly, I never said that you annoyed me or have I been disrespectful in any way---just wanted to clear myself of that needless indictment.

Moving on-you still should not open any doors of an aircraft or open any exits unless instructed to do so by the cabin crew. If the aircraft is on fire and something is obstinately wrong, then of course you are within your means to exit the aircraft as soon as possible. However, if you think that something is wrong, when it's really not and you go bolting towards an exit and open it as the passengers did on the one Delta flight above, you're going to cause a mess. Sure a hot start is going to startle people. You don't think of flames several feet long shooting from the engines of commercial aircraft as being commonplace---but they're not a rare occurance. They did not act on the orders of the cabin crew, and people got hurt needlessly as a result of it. It's something that is totally circumstantial. No need to be Rambo if something goes wrong. Listen to those whom are in charge on the aircraft.

AR385

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:39 am

Delta MD-11

I apologize. I meant the annoying part for SpruceGoose. Sorry.

SpruceGoose

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:08 pm

DeltaMD11: "No need to be Rambo if something goes wrong. Listen to those whom are in charge on the aircraft."

Perfectly put!

AR385, I'm standing by my opinion as well. Helping yourself to the Emergency Exit when YOU think is appropriate would only cause widespread panic on board. I have been involved in an incident on a train and in a moment of fear self preservation was my most immediate thought. However, although the carriage had filled with smoke, everyone stayed relatively calm and the situation was dealt with appropriately. Driver was aware of what was going on. Nobody went for the doors. I am pretty sure that if someone had, panic would have followed.
Aircraft are a little different I know  Smile However, people remain the same. Avoiding panic - when human minds are not necessarily at their best - is priority.