ACES320
Topic Author

Airlines Operating Five Continents?

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:47 am

As far as I know only 2 carriers do that. British Airways and Qantas. BA QF. Not even the biggest, American Airlines. By the way, all of them are OneWorld members. I am very curious about it. Please do not include codeshare services, just own network services, otherwise every airline would be a 5 continent-operator.

BA ->
NRT (Asia), CPT (South Africa), Lagos (Central Africa), DXB (Middle
East), CDG (Europe), JFK (North America), BOG (South America) MEX
(Central America) SYD (Australia)
QF ->
NRT. LAX, LHR, JNB, Auckland
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

AOMlover

RE: Airlines Operating Five Continents?

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:55 am

Air France does:

Europe=Paris, etc
North America=New York, etc
Central America=Mexico city
South America=Buenos Aires, etc
Middle East=Dubai, etc
Africa=Dakar, etc
Asia= Shanghai, etc
Oceania=Tahiti

EddieDude

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:55 am

MEX is not in Central America. It is in North America. Central America begins on Guatamela and Belize.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Boeing757/767

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:58 am

... Not to mention that Central America is part of North America and is not a separate "continent."
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

MASkargo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:02 am

well...dont forget malaysia airlines who serve europe, North america, asia, australia, africa (CAI, JNB, CPT, MRU), south america (EZE)

UAFAN17

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:05 am

United flies to Europe, Asia, Oceania, North America, South America! These are non codeshare flights only. By the way United also as a hub in Tokyo.

Travelagent

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:11 am

I think South African Airways serves all 5 continents.
Born to fly! It's more than a passion - it's a yearning!! At home in DUS(Dusseldorf)!

iowa744fan

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:13 am

There are lots of airlines that serve 5 continents:

Singapore Airlines:
Asia, Europe, North America, and Australia have plenty of service. They also serve Johannesburg in Africa.

Cathay Pacific:
Same as Singapore Air

Japan Airlines:
Asia, Australia, North America, South America (Sao Paulo), Europe

Korean Air:
Asia, Australia, North America, Africa (Cairo), and Europe

United Airlines:
Asia, Australia, North America, South America, Europe

Continental/Continental Micronesia:
Asia, Australia (Cairns), North American, South America, Europe.

Lufthansa:
Europe, North America, South America, Asia, and Africa

Air France:
Europe, North America, South America, Asia, and Africa

KLM:
Europe, N.A., S.A., Africa, and Asia

Aerolineas Argentinas will even have it when they start their Beijing flights:
Europe, South America, North America, Australia (SYD), and Asia (PEK)

When Emirates starts US service (this year) they will have five: N.A., Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa

Basically, there are lots of airlines that serve at least five continents.

ACES320
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:16 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding Eddidude. Let's say MEX, BOG, EZE, Latin America.
UAFAN17, United Doesn't fly to Africa. AOMlover, You have your point with Tahiti, however AF doesn't operate mainland Australia, that's what I meant.
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

andz

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:21 am

SAA:
All over Africa
All over Europe
HKG, BOM: Asia
JFK, ATL: North America
GRU: South America
PER: Australasia
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

UAFAN17

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:36 am

ACES320 : Did i say they fly to Africa? Read Carefully. Im not dumb, and I'm not misinformed. SO READ CAREFULLY.

FoxBravo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:53 am

Yes, Maskargo, Malaysia is definitely more unique in that it serves SIX continents. Can any other airlines match that? None that I am aware of...
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

AeroAussie

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:55 am

ACES320, did you mean SIX continents? North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia... BA and QF are the only two that operate to SIX continents, not five. There are a fair number of carriers who operate to five. (As has been said above.) The number of airlines flying with their own aircraft and crew to SIX continents, however, is a different story. SAA is the only other one I can think of at the moment. (JFK, GRU, LHR, JNB, PER, and HKG... I think that covers all six for them.)
-Nick

MAH4546

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:04 am

ACES320, did you mean SIX continents? North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia... BA and QF are the only two that operate to SIX continents, not five.

In addition to British Airways and Qantas, MAS, South African Airways, and Air France fly to six continents.

Keep in mind Tahiti is in Oceania, which in the US is more commonly reffered to as the continent of Australia.
a.

JeffB

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:18 am

OK. The geography major(yes, I know, lame major.. but it sounded good at the time) in me is just screaming! So I have to rant..

THER ARE 7 CONTINENTS!!! PLEASE do not say "ALL 5 continents!!" Your missing 2.

for review:

North America
South America
Europe
Asia(This includes Asia Minor, aka. The Arabian Peninsula.)
Africa
Australia(Oceania)
Antarctica

So now the question is.. what airline flies to the inhabited 6? Is there one that make it to all 6?? at all??

JeffB

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:20 am

AeroAussie - You beat me to the punch! Nice! :-P

andz

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:26 am

It's a good job spelling wasn't your major  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

JeffB

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:36 am

Blame the spell check. And it wasn't a spelling mistake.. just a typo! Garsh!

komododx

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:48 am

ACES320... Mexico is in North America. Why would it be in NAFTA then?

BTW, American doesn't need to fly to other places in Asia other than NRT because of QF.

KdX in TLH
I'm homeless and unemployed

komododx

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:51 am

PS. North, Central, and South America are all just one continent. The American continent, and it includes the Caribbean. Socioeconomic and political reasons force people to believe they are three different continents. Learn some geography people!

KdX in TLH

FoxBravo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:55 am

Ok, so there are several airlines serving all six inhabited continents: BA, MH, SA and arguably AF. Does QF fly its own planes to South America, or just codeshare? If so, add them to the list, but a codeshare shouldn't count...

FoxBravo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:58 am

Komododx, there was a long and argumentative thread on this once before. It is clearly open to debate whether North and South America are one continent or two. In the end, we concluded that it depends where you grew up. In the U.S. (and Canada I believe), we are always taught in school that they are two separate continents. And pure geography seems to back this up--they are barely attached, much less so than Europe and Asia! However, in Europe and South America, people are taught that "America" is one continent. Not sure what the justification for this is, but that's how things stand. Let's not open that can of worms again!  Smile

komododx

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:04 am

Oh I didn't mean to offend anyone's education, let alone start one of the typical A.net wars. But we all know why here in the U.S. they teach you it is a different continent... you wouldn't want to be born in the same continent as the guy at the Miami Mickey D's!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

KdX in TLH / FLL

caribb

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:45 am

Throw in Air Canada as well.... North America (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver etc), Europe (London, Paris, Frankfurt etc...), Asia (Tokyo, Hong Kongetc..) Australia (Sydney) & South America (Sao Paulo etc..)

JeffB

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:06 am

Ok, I'll take the bait...

"Oh I didn't mean to offend anyone's education, let alone start one of the typical A.net wars. But we all know why here in the U.S. they teach you it is a different continent... you wouldn't want to be born in the same continent as the guy at the Miami Mickey D's!"

Thats ridiculous, offending and simply not true. I'm sad to hear something that ignorant being said on this forum.

ACES320
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:23 am

Ok, let's stop this traditional fight and redefine it all please.

Major habited continents
ANTARCTICA*
AFRICA
AMERICA
ASIA
EUROPE
OCEANIA

Subcontinents
North America,
South America
Central America
Caribbean
Australia
Minor Asia
ETC...

A question raises though. No carrier operating to Antarctica on a commercial basis. *Antarctica it's habited too. Let's keep it on the major 5 without Antarctica.

keno

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:50 am

This topic has been discussed before and we came to a conclusion that only 4 airlines fly to 6 continents :-

Air France
British Airways
South African
Malaysia Airlines

Note that only SA flies to all of these continents NON-STOP. This title might soon be shared with EK.

ACES320,
It is more common to separate North & South Americas as 2 different continents rather than a single one called America. As far as I know only the Olympic Movement that combines both North and South Americas together (as one of its 5 rings), most other situations would always separate the two. I'm afraid the definition in post #14 is more conventionally used than yours.

[Edited 2004-04-10 02:24:36]

gigneil

Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:19 am

Let's keep it on the major 5 without Antarctica.

Heh we just can't do that, no.

There are 7 total, 6 inhabited.

I'll argue on the side of Europe and Asia being the same continent if you really want to argue 5 inhabited ones.

N

ACES320
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:21 am

Ok boys. Whatever. Cannot we do it in a civilized way? I am not to blame because in the school I was taught this or that, neither you. In fact, only after this tread, I realize how many different conceptions of the world there are. In some regions in South America, people think of Mexico as part of Central America. In Mexico they don't.
I was born in South America. I used to be confused when people from the US referred themselves as America since Latin Americans think both North and South as a whole continent. But this was not the aim of the thread. If there is any reason why Americans prefer thinking that they live in another continent, so be it, this is not a subject to be discussed in A.net.

The relevant fact here is: Is there any airline with world coverage?
After all what has been discussed above, I think only BA. (South America, North America, Caribbean, Africa, Middle East, Far East, Oceania, Whole Europe)

airbazar

Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:47 am

The whole World thinks of both North and South as just America, except, well, America. Isn't it ironic?  Smile It might not be a popular idea but I think there's some truth to what Komododx said.

gigneil

Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:51 pm

Air Canada serves all the continents that are habitable.

N

Russophile

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:33 pm

Gotta love airliners.net geography lessons.

Oceania is not a continent -- it is a region. Australia is the continent. This does not include New Zealand, Micronesia, Fiji and other Pacific island nations. Technically speaking it does not include the island of Tasmania, but is often included because politically it is part of Australia -- the island continent.

And yes, geographers do consider that there are 6 continents. But it isn't North and South America which are considered a single continent, but rather Europe and Asia, which are separated by the Ural Mountains, which many geographers refer to as Eurasia.

However, some do refer to North America and South America as a single continent. This would cut it down to 5.

And there are some geographers who regard Asia, Europe and Africa as a single continent, which takes it down to as low as 4.

It's often a cultural thing which distinguishes the above, and it does vary even within regions. Oh, and Komododx, the rubbish you posted above could very easily be turned around on you and we could talk rubbish about how you don't want to admit that you were born on the same continent as black Eurafrasians, yellow Eurafrasians, etc.  Insane

Edit add: I also wanted to add, that if we use the 7 continent as a basis, QF actually flies to 6 -- Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, and last but not least, Antarctica -- although the aircraft don't land on the Antarctic landmass, the flights definitely are marketed as flying to (or is it over) Antarctica.

[Edited 2004-04-10 07:35:34]

FLY777UAL

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:56 pm

Well hells bells. Let's just go back to Pangea, why don't we...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

keno

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:03 am

This geography lesson is kinda fun. At least it's very much related to the original question. Few weeks ago, there was a thread about Thai Airways opening up new US cities - all of the sudden it was hijacked by discussions about whether or not Israel is in fact in Asia. You'd think the answer is very obvious, but apparently not for some strange reasons.

captaink

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:27 am

Where does the caribbean fit in?  Smile
There is something special about planes....

FoxBravo

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:52 am

Air Canada serves all the continents that are habitable.

Gigneil, does AC fly to Africa?

Cadmus

Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:06 am

For what it's worth, the UN thinks that there are six inhabited continents. In the section of their website devoted to the Green Map Project they say the following:

"Currently, 72 Green Mapmaking teams are involved, working in 20 countries on six continents. "

and

"When a small Brazilian city, Araxa, joined GMS in May 1997, suddenly, all inhabited continents were involved"

The second quote certainly supports the idea of South America as a continent in its own right (US cities are mentioned prior to this).

Incidentally, while looking for this I found one website that contended that there were a total of five continents - Europe, Africa, Asia, America & Antarctica - with Australia just being the world's largest island!
Understanding is a three-edged sword