EK413
Topic Author

Please Explain....QF Powerplants?

Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:26 am

Hello to all at A.Net!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

In the past few month's Qantas have been on the spot light based on it's remarkable efforts to remain profitable which is clearly seen! We have also seen a number of POST regarding Qantas' renewal plan for the aging fleet to reduce costs and remain profitable which a lot of airlines are finding hard! It's one thing that has crossed my mind lately would be the powerplants that Qantas fleet are based around which is GE powerplants & RR powerplants....What's the big deal you say? Confused
Isn't having 2 different powerplants in the fleet cost effective  Confused

B737 & B767 fleet...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Glenn Stewart
View Large View Medium

Photo © Johannes Arianto

B743 & A330 fleet...

View Large View Medium

Photo © B. van Langenberg
View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Murray

B744 & B744ER

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Ruttley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Will Lanting

I would like to read your comments.......

Thanks  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

phollingsworth

RE: Please Explain....QF Powerplants?

Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:47 am

Unless you can get all of your a/c with the same engine model, i.e. PW4060/4160 you really don't save that much. It looks like the only QF fleet that has multiple engine types is the 744/744ER. The performance of the 744ER is a fair bit worse with the RRs, so the choice makes a fair bit of sense. DL has 3 primary engine types on their 767s, and several versions of the CF6-80C2. One way that DL justifies this is the in-sourcing of engine maintenance work. From what I understand DL Tech Ops is one of the strongest profit centers for the airline (from a conversation I had with a DL executive). So the lack of commonality can often be overcome by other benefits.

Thrust

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:14 am

Having multiple engine types in a fleet is not always a bad thing. You have the best advantages sometimes. For example, each engine type has it's unique advantages and disadvantages to it's competitor's engines. By having both, you are able to compensate the disadvantages. Sometimes yes it is more costly, but not always.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

EK413
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:54 am

Thanks for your comments Phollingsworth and Thrust!
Another issue that has come up recently is that of CX probably purchasing B744 aircraft from SQ or UA which have different powerplants to that of CX's fleet of B744....

EK413

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!