ltbewr

Airline/Aircraft Museums Or As Part Of Museums

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:34 am

Like many here, I have visited a couple of aircraft/aviation museums or museums with significant sections on same. Of course, I have been to the Smithsothian Air and Space in DC a number of times. Maybe in a couple of years I'll visit the new part at Dulles airport. I visited the Boeing Museum in July 1995 (also saw at a distance, Job 1 aircraft - 707, 747, 767, ect). Also must note seeing an excellent airline/aircraft section in the Dutsches Museum in Munich, Germany, an excellent technical and sciences museum. There is a small aircraft museum at Teterboro, NJ airport which I have seen, which features the history of the airport and aviation history in NJ.
I know that AA and NW have museums as part of their co HQ's or base airports, but are there any other company museums ?
Besides the Wright AFB museum in Ohio, and the museums I cited, what other significant museums or parts of museums are there in the world as to civilian aircraft and airlines?

JumboBumbo

RE: Airline/Aircraft Museums Or As Part Of Museums

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:38 am

The Museum of Science and Industry (I think that's what it's called) in Chicago has a nice working 727 display with an old UA 727 in Friendship colors with retracting gears and flaps that is suspended (kind of) above the floor. I think it's a very nice exhibit regarding the science of flight. Very interactive.

litz

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:51 am

Someone mentioned recently that when DL retires ship 102 (the Spirit of Delta 767) there's been talk of using it and the DC3 (ship42) to found a Delta museum.

Nothing concrete, just talk in another thread, though ...

- litz

qqflyboy

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:59 am

I highly recommend anytime you may find yourself in the DFW metroplex with spare time you should visit the CR Smith Museum, located near the DFW airport. The museum is top notch, complete with a large screen movie on the history of American, the DC-3 Flagship Knoxville you can actually enter and many interactive exhibits including aircraft engines, landing gears and breaks, a mock-up F100 cockpit and other airline history and memorabilia.

Their website is http://www.crsmithmuseum.org (Note: this website does not seem to be functioning properly at the time of this post. For now, alternatively here is a different link with similar info http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/museums?9628)
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.