futureb6capt

Airline Management Vs. Flying

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:03 am

After talking to many people, don't you think flying and piloting would get monotonous and sort of boring (for lack of better word). I mean, same thing every day compared to management where there are new challenges day in and day out? Just your opinions, please.

-FutureB6Capt

[Edited 2004-04-14 03:15:28]

KYIPpilot

RE: Airline Management Vs. Flying

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:10 am

Sure, it does sometimes get boring and routine, but I don't think any pilot here would rather have a desk job over an office that is 30+ thousand feet.

By the way, there is a spell check button...
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

fspilot747

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:17 am

No.

FSP

N777UA

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:30 am

Of course not...when you manage an airline, you're job is not to fly to Honolulu, Paris, Sydney, Hong Kong. Plus, you don't get 14 days a month off.

I'd rather fly an airline than manage an airline.

IHadAPheo

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:35 am

I think it would depend on the person, some people would find it far more enjoyable to fly since that might suit their skills better, while others may find their talents are in management. What matters is where your abilities and interest are. Not to mention sometimes while on the career ladder your job is what you have to do and not what you want to do.

If you like to be behind the scenes (so to speak) and be active in the decision making/planning part of the industry go for the management side, if you want to be more hands on, love to fly and are able to meet the requirements then go for the pilot gig.

You may a job that might let you do a combination of both but chances are you will not be doing it for a major carrier but if you have a love of aviation just to be flying and still have your hands on the business side might be worth the lack "prestige" that a major carrier might have

Edit... My ideal choice would be to fly, but in the real world I'd have to go with a behind the scenes position due to the fact that during an eye exam they would say "read the smallest line you can" to which my reply would be "E"

[Edited 2004-04-14 03:40:12]
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

lanperu

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:36 am

Personally I think that management of an airline is much more "exciting" in general. Alot of the replies have been from "Junior" or non-Airline pilots which would be the more reliable source. I will admit that I fall into the "age bracket" I am talking about, but I look at aviation as a field/industry rather than just flying because I like it and get paid. Remeber that the pilots that get the 14 days off and all those nice perks are pilots that have been at the airline several years. Well, I REALLY hope I don't get bashed for this post.

pilotman52

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:42 am

I would like to believe that every flight has its own differences and challenges. Different weather conditions, passengers, and even emergencies. You always have to be on the tips of your feet! (or seat)

Pilotman52

futureb6capt

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:45 am

As much as I would like to manage I would get sad every time I think about flying and/or fly because I like it so much. I also wouldn't like to manage for a huge major carrier ie:UA, AA, DL.

-FutureB6Capt

InnocuousFox

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:43 pm

Both have monotony and both have their challenges. Remember, an airline is "managed" by thousands of people... each of whom have fairly narrow-scoped, boring jobs.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!