TedStriker

NZ / AA / UA To LAX

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:19 am

I am travelling LON to LAX at the end of April, and have a choice between NZ ,AA or UA (BA & VS are full for the dates in question). I have not flown on any of these airlines internationally before, and the price between them is very similar.
Would be grateful for any thoughts on which carrier to go for. At the moment I figure between NZ or AA as the seat pitch is more generous than UA. It will be economy class travel.
Thanks in advance.

QANTAS747-438

RE: NZ / AA / UA To LAX

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:27 am

I have flown NZ internationally and they are pretty good. The crew is super friendly and they live up to their slogan, "The World's Warmest Welcome." My flight was pretty good with awesome headrests that twist and turn to fit the position and contours of your head. It makes a huge difference if you want to tilt your head to sleep or something like that. I didn't receive any amenities and I didn't quite get the full service that has always been praised about NZ. I attribute this to the fact that I flew LAX-SYD, which ended up being their least profitable route, and therefore, they were probably cutting back on my flight. However, I've heard great things about NZ on the AKL and LHR route. So give NZ a try! At least you're guarranteed to be on a 744!

My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

picarus

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:28 am

Assuming you don't hold premier status with UA and are not eligible for E+, then yes, seat pitch would be less in UA Y. But, in my experience, it's easy to get reassigned to E+ if the flight is not full.

As far as inflight service, NZ blows the other two away IMHO. But if you're a big fan of PTVs, then you'll be disppointed with the lack thereof on NZ's 744s. Another disadvantage is the you'll arrive at the overcrowded and dumpy T2 at LAX.

Just some thoughts....

Picarus

picarus

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:28 am

Assuming you don't hold premier status with UA and are not eligible for E+, then yes, seat pitch would be less in UA Y. But, in my experience, it's easy to get reassigned to E+ if the flight is not full.

As far as inflight service, NZ blows the other two away IMHO. But if you're a big fan of PTVs, then you'll be disappointed with the lack thereof on NZ's 744s. Another disadvantage is the you'll arrive at the over-crowded and dumpy T2 at LAX.

Just some thoughts....

Picarus

flylondon

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:30 am

Personally I would go for Air New Zealand. The service will be better and the seating looks impressive from the website. See below:

http://www.eu.airnz.com/travelinfo/ontheplane/pacificclass/pacific_class_seating.htm

Also it would be good to fly an "alternate" airline with whom you can only realistically fly to LA or Auckland whereas AA you can go anywhere in North and South America and so could save for another trip.

pilottim747

Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:27 am

I'd go with NZ, unless you have a great need for a PTV. Air New Zealand has outstanding service and a very comfortable cabin. Seat pitch on their B744 coach cabins is 34", almost unheard of these days.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

TedStriker

Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:29 am

Thanks for all the feedback.

PICARUS - unfortunately no UA premier status for me. Have not been to LAX before so not sure how T2 compares to the others

FLYLONDON - great point about being able to try AA / UA to other cities.

I guess I will give NZ a try. Although am very surprised to learn no PTV's in economy for such long sectors. Will have to make sure I get a window seat & take a good book!

Cheers again!

worldoftui

Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:09 am

I am a fan of UA, but you may want to have a look at the trip report I made. Flew NZ from AKL-HNL. Long flight, although not 747, but will give you an idea of service levels to expect with NZ?

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/42326/

Mark

747srule

NZ/AA/UA To LAX

Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:02 am

It would depend on what type (777 or 747)and what time you want to fly.AZ flies 747's;the other two 777"s . AZ leaves LHR later, so you wold arrive at LAX around 1900.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

QF744

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:13 am

if you are flying NZ, expect a massive lack of entertainment!

that would, however, be the only bad thing i could say about NZ.

QF744
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE UPPER DECK

ZK-NBT

Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:09 pm

NZ are great, never flown either AA or UA though.

NZ will be installing PTV's in the 744's starting this year, pity they won't be there for you though.

747srule AZ is Alitalia.