NW747-400
Topic Author

US Jumpseat Possibilities

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:26 am

I know it is not likely, but are there any US carriers that off jumpseat privledges to a commercial/instrument pilot with a type rating? Thanks for any info.

Hannigan

RE: US Jumpseat Possibilities

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:27 am

One word. No.

FAA and flight crew only.

Sorry!
We got planes! We got gates! What the hell!

fokkerf28

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:43 am

FAA, FLIGHT CREW AND COMPANY DISPATCHERS.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:41 am

It is called the forum search function.. read up on it..

I thought we had already beaten this topic to a bloody pulp, I guess that means it was time to discuss it again.

FutureFO

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:39 am

Airline Dispatchers are currently not allowed to jumpseat at least not on the carrier I used to work for. FAA and Employed Pilots of the company are the only ones currently allowed to jumpseat. If you work for another carrier you can only cabin jumpseat, which basically means if there is an open seat in the main cabin then they can catch a ride.

Sean from MCO
I Don't know where I am anymore

FlyGuyClt

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:42 am

Attention, Attention, Attention Please: Would all non airline employees please forget about you ever getting a jumpseat. Many Thanks.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

fokkerf28

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:56 am

COMPANY DISPATCHERS ARE ALLOWED TO JUMP SEAT. HERE AT HP THIS IS PERMISABLE.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:59 am

Assuming you are a college student with commercial license in an aviation program, look into an internship with flight operations departments... many allow jumpseat opportunities.

futterman

Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:11 am

Is this for American carriers only? Or ALL flights operating within the United States?
What the FUTT?

FlyPIJets

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:19 pm

It FAA rule. So any flight operating under FAA jurisdiction that falls under the rule.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

7574EVER

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 pm

AAJAXFlyer is right. We have a couple guys from my school in Dallas interning with American. They can jumpseat whenever to wherever they please. We also have an internship program with Chicago Express who also allow interns to jumpseat. Although I'm not sure how comfortable the jumpseat of a Saab 340 is. They can also fly ATA for free (cabin only) and I believe Southwest gives Express interns a VERY substantial discount.

As for stepping into the cockpit before a flight and saying "Umm...Captain? I'm an instrument rated commercial pilot. Can I ride jumpseat? Well, you'll be laughed about in the pilot's lounge later in the day.
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

MATURRO727

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:46 pm

Hey

In AV is possible, not for everyone of course, but sometimes when I fly with them, the Capitan might be my or my dad's friend, this happened to me a couple of times

Cheers

MATURRO727

planespotting

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:39 pm

flight internships are freaking terrible to get these days. sooo many flight students out there. so little need for pilots.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:24 pm

Although I'm not sure how comfortable the jumpseat of a Saab 340 is.

It's a bit like sitting on a phone book with a backrest the size of a timetable.  Smile

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:26 pm

You should try to jumseat outside the US. Smaller domestic airlines like Malmö Aviation are much more lenient.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

as739x

Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:09 am

I am not a Dispatcher or Pilot and I can jumpseat. We are considered part of the Flight Operations Department so we get included. The only flights we can no longer jumpseat is International, but that is for everyone except pilots getting check outs.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

UTA_flyinghigh

Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:16 am

>i>Would all non airline employees please forget about you ever getting a jumpseat. Many Thanks.>/i>

Hello ?
Do I look like an airline employee ? (not !)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

A lot more to plug if I wanted to; but it isn't the purpose.
The jumpseat is possible with aviation-related credentials. Period.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

EMBQA

Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:33 am

The jumpseat is possible with aviation-related credentials. Period.

No, Wrong.....!! period...!!

Jumpseat is NOT possible in the United States unless you meet the requirements of the FAR's...PERIOD..!!

Why will this one not go away.....???
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:33 am

A lot more to plug if I wanted to; but it isn't the purpose.

You plug enough at every opportunity.

The point of the poster seems to be jumpseats in the United States, not abroad.

neilalp

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:02 am

Sounds like the bottom line is work for an airline and ask. Worst case is they say no. EVERYONE thinks they know the answer, but even with laws and rulings by the FAA it comes to the discression of the person you ask.(now will they break the law?) So go and try!

FlyGuyClt

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:04 am

Thank GOD you are not an airline employee. This post is jumpseats in the U.S.A. and I would bet money you will not get one with in the boarders.

So PLUG PLUG away !

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

neilalp

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:09 am

I'm not saying if I was an airline employee I'd break the law, but it sounds like Chicago Express does what they want and American lets college kids jumpseat out of Dallas. So it seems like the airlines do as they please with what they allow....so ask. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer.

ifly2eat

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:17 am

Neilalp:

Chicago Express does not do what they want. On main line ATA (it is no different at Chicago Express), Flight Operations' interns are allowed on the jumpseat IF they have a signed letter from the Principle Operations Inspector of the Airline (FAA) and the Vice President of Flight Operations. Not every employee from Flight Operations can ride on the jumpseat. ONLY PEOPLE WITH A SIMILAR LETTER are allowed in the cockpit. Period Period Period. If you do not believe what I am saying, feel free to go and try and get a jumpseat.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:24 am

On main line ATA (it is no different at Chicago Express), Flight Operations' interns are allowed on the jumpseat IF they have a signed letter from the Principle Operations Inspector of the Airline (FAA) and the Vice President of Flight Operations. Not every employee from Flight Operations can ride on the jumpseat. ONLY PEOPLE WITH A SIMILAR LETTER are allowed in the cockpit.

Same story with AA. And it isn't just free reign.. of course it comes down to the Captain's discretion, plus there must be an empty seat blocked in the cabin for you, so still have to clear the standby list in the appropriate priority and have to have a gate agent willing to block a cabin seat. At American, the interns have to write reports on human factors for each flight... technically are carrying out a survey, and the FAA operations inspectors do review the intern jumpseat files.

EMBQA

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:28 am

Sounds like the bottom line is work for an airline and ask. Worst case is they say no. EVERYONE thinks they know the answer, but even with laws and rulings by the FAA it comes to the discression of the person you ask

Here is the answer once again in black and white... Unless you meet the requirements of FAR 121.547...you are NOT PERMMITED in the cockpit while inflight.

We also need to understand that the word 'jumpseat' is used pretty broadly in the airline business, at least from what I have seen. It doesn't always mean 'in the cockpit'. It can also mean flying 'non-rev' and seated with the passengers. I came across this once when flying with my own airline when after a flight I was asked to stay after the flight as the Capt wanted to talk with me. The Capt began to read me the riot act saying 'I was required to check in with him when ever we 'jumpseated'. At that point I told him I was NOT jumpseating, I was seated in back with the passenger and then showed him my boarding pass and ticket..!! He then slinked away with his tail between his legs..!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

NW747-400
Topic Author

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:30 am

Some of you guys really need to chill out...it was just a simple question. I'm sure you all have better things to do than get pissed off at people that ask repetitive questions. Thanks to everyone who replied with out going crazy.

DeltaGuy

Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:50 am

Two ways I know of....

Get in with a pilot in a major US airline....get him to bid a ferry/reposition/MX flight, these don't fall under part 135....then you can get all the jumpseat time you want. (currently begging father to bid one of these! Big grin)

Or...and this one's easy. Fly on AeroMexico from some destination here in the US, down to Mexico.....the flightcrews are usually super nice, it's a very pleasant ride. I got to jumpseat them last weekend, MD-83, LAX-GDL. No sweat, the crews love having someone up there to break up the monotony. Just gotta tell em who you are, and that you hear they let people with aviation-related backgrounds ride along with em- piece of cake!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

socalatc

Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:55 am

Oh how nice it is to work for the FAA...  Smokin cool

neilalp

Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:08 am

All I say is DeltaGuy proves my point!

EMBQA

Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:48 am

DeltaGuy-

FYI...Airlines in the US do not operate under FAR Part 135 (On Demand Charter), they operate under FAR Part 121 ( Air Carrier). Now you are some what correct about riding along on a Part 91 Ferry Flight, but in many cases company regulations prohibit 'Non essential' personal from being on these flights......but ya never know.

DeltaGuy

Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:07 am

EMBQA,

You caught me...I was a lil hungover from last night  Big grin Thanks

I have heard that stipulation too, I think that more applies to Mx test flights. Ferry ones, (ask MD88Captain, he had a nice story), are fair game, as far as I know...always worth a shot!)

Keep trying for that jumpseat, you'll get her soon! Air France is very good as well, as UTA has said..heard other great tales too.

DeltaGuy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

PhilSquares

Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:15 am

I can tell you that in the US, MX ferry flights that require a ferry permit issued by the FAA normally restrict the carriage of anyone other than the basic flightcrew.

Flights that would typically fall into this category would be engine out ferry flights, unpressurized flights as a result of a/c malfunction, flight control problems, things of that nature.

Even though the flights could be conducted under Part 91, most airlines tend to operate them under Part 121, which is more conservative. So, I'm not sure how that would impact the ability to take jumpseaters.
Fly fast, live slow

Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:01 am

Get in with a pilot in a major US airline....get him to bid a ferry/reposition/MX flight, these don't fall under part 135....then you can get all the jumpseat time you want

Straight ferry flights... most airlines restrict to ONLY employees for insurance reasons, and restrict number of passengers so they do not have to staff flight attendant.

jhooper

Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:07 am

Since DeltaGuy asked about it, I can tell you that up to 19 nonrevs can be carried on these flights; at least with Delta. I have been on three of these flights with my dad. Last time was in Spring 2002 when he ferried a plane to Florida with just my dad, his co-pilot, and myself onboard. Even if it's one of these flights, DL still prohibits jumpseat flights by unauthorized people, but who's going to tell?

I'm going to agree w/ NW747-400 on this thread; people really need to chill out. Why is everyone so emotional about this issue?

But just to answer the original question, the U.S. airlines will not let just anyone ride the jumpseat. You have to meet established criteria (i.e. pilot for that airlines, FAA inspectors, NTSB investigators, Secret Service, etc.) In other words, they'll have a darn good idea of who you are and know you don't pose any kind of threat. Trust me, if anyone could ride jumpseat, I would have done it hundreds of times by now. At one time (before 9/11/01) I had hoped the FAA would allow CFIs to ride jumpseat, as this would be a great tool for flight instructors to improve their instruction.

However, as far as giving the jumpseat to FAA certificated pilots (who haven't had extensive background checks, fingerprints, etc.), the FAA/TSA and the airlines are likely to consider giving the jumpseat to these individuals to be more of a security risk than giving the jumpseat to Joe Schmoe without any flight training.

So, unfortunately: No. You won't be allowed to ride jumpseat. And frankly, unless you know a crewmember, you may as well not even ask. It wouldn't suprise me if they considered you a threat merely for asking and have you removed from the flight, possibly subjecting yourself to hours of FBI interrogation probing exactly what your motivations are for wanting to ride the jumpseat. (Hey, I know it sounds rough, but that's happened to people who just sit in cars outside airport fences and try taking pictures of landing and departing aircraft).
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

airtran737

Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:33 am

You've gota better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa than you do of not being an airline employee and trying to score a seat in the front office.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

EMBQA

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:45 am

Why is everyone so emotional about this issue?

Why you ask....?? Because in the 8 or so months I've been on A.net this question has been asked REPEATEDLY.... and the answer will NEVER change...and I'm sure all the others feel this way. It's an WELL covered subject, lets move on.

neilalp

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:52 am

Yeah lets move on...how about those Northwest DC-9's?

Smokin cool

jhooper

Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:22 am

You're right that this question is asked often, but I'd say there are many other threads which come up on a much more regular basis. If you really don't want to read about it, then simply ignore the thread and quit replying to it so that it will eventually be archived. You're under no obligation to click on the thread.

Jumpseating has been restricted in the U.S. for a very long time, probably due more to safety reasons than for the purpose of preventing a hijacking. As much as I'd love it for aviation enthusiasts to be able to ride jumpseat, from a security standpoint it just doesn't make too much sense to have all these layers of security only to breach your last line of defense. As we learned, thousands of lives are at stake, depending on us to have the best security possible. Frankly, I'm surpised it's still allowed in other areas of the world. There are those who believe that Mohammad Atta was on the jumpseat the whole time on 9/11 with fake credentials, and if true, goes to show how much easier his task would have been not having to force his way into the cockpit to begin with.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos