nudelhirsch

Airline Between LCC And Regular

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:31 am

Hi,

do You see a market for airlines who offer a mixture between LCC and regular carrier? Like offering meal plans for acceptable price on prebooking, offering good service, still operating minor and even sometimes important airports?

As here in Europe a battle started about domestic flights (LCC are about to win) and holiday-routes (LH stepping into FRA-PMI) or so, I think LCC are a part of the market, which have a stable position by now.

Oppinions?

cheers.....

Putana da Seatbeltz!

elwood64151

RE: Airline Between LCC And Regular

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:03 am

We had something like that here in the states pre-9/11. It's called Midwest Express and after 9/11 they changed their operations around along many of their routes to be more like the traditional LCCs. They even changed their name: Now called Midwest Airlines. That was a mistake, but I don't think many realize it yet.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

WMUPilot

Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:21 am

ATA - Higher quality LCC. Business Class, Prereserved Seats, Onboard Food, Frequent Flier, Newer Aircraft, and IFE.

The same could be said for AirTran, Frontier, Jet Blue. I concider these airlines to be a higher quality of LCC.

Southwest would be the bottom line Low Cost Carrier. No prereserved seats, No Food, No IFE, mix of older and newer aircraft, they do have a very popular frequent flier program though. Otherwise that's about it.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

OzarkD9S

Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:40 am

Well put Elwood.

I'm surprised Midwest didn't reconfigure the entire fleet, say 40% premium and 60% economy or "saver" as they phrase it. Keep enough 4x4 biz class seats to maintain the very loyal customer base they have, albeit at reduced levels now.

That would have saved the headache of running two operations with two different fleets, and they might have maintained a yield premium. Remember Midway 1? They bought the remains of Air Florida and ran that as Midway Express to Florida, and ran Midway Metolink (biz class) service everywhere else. That sure didn't last long. Not to mention the more recent endeavors at United, US Airways, Delta and Continental.

Better two types of service in all aircraft than the split fleet scenario, especially for an airline of Midwest's size.

Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL