behramjee

Big Emirates Update

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Emirates is unlikely to join SkyTeam or another global alliance, according to Ghaith al Ghaith, executive VP-commercial operations worldwide, although the carrier does maintain a codeshare agreement with Continental Airlines between London Gatwick and Dubai. "We have a very aggressive plan to expand on our own," he said, and an alliance could hinder rather than help.

Ghaith was in New York to introduce the airline's Dubai-New York nonstop service that begins June 1 with an A340-500. The aircraft will be outfitted with Emirates' new first-class "suite" that features sliding doors, a vibrating seat-bed, minibar and 19-in. TV screen.

Depending upon how the route develops, the carrier may switch to A380s in 2007 or 2008, he said. The larger aircraft would be "a no-brainer" for the planned Los Angeles service, he added

AF-A319

RE: Big Emirates Update

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:31 pm

I don't see what makes this quote so "big"... EK has always said it wants to develop on its own...

On another point, no mention of the codeshare with DL on the JFK DXB route?

PlaneviewNYC

Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:01 pm

What exactly is the point of the vibrating seat bed?

"Coming soon to Emirates: all the luxuries of a $30 hotel room, built into your seat!"

Motorhussy

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:44 pm

PlaneviewNYC

What exactly is the point of the vibrating seat bed?

"Coming soon to Emirates: all the luxuries of a $30 hotel room, built into your seat!"

I agree entirely, but it got a chuckle out of me. I wonder if that 19" flat screen will play a selection of... well you know where I was headed.

And then there's the personal mini-bar, on the airline of a Moslem nation - fine with me, I'm an infidel, but well, you know...

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific