IntheKnow

VS All Upper Class A/C Config Soon?

Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:52 am

Hi All,

In 1998 I saw a blueprint in an office at work (at VS) with "secret" plans for an all J class A343. It was configged with 124 seats, three bars and three Inflight beauty areas and was going to operate LHR/JFK. The idea was shelved but I was wondering if you think we will eventually do it? This was in the days before LUFT/Privatair or AF Dedicat services so I wonder if we are now thinking about it again?

It sounds like the sort of thing we would do but I have heard nothing since seeing those plans.

Your thoughts?

ITK

NWAFA

RE: VS All Upper Class A/C Config Soon?

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:12 am

ITK,

Are people actually paying the price for "Upper-Class"? Are they upgrades?? I do not know or have any experience with VS. I want to really bad!!!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

Richard28

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:17 am

Upper Class is a J class fare, and you can get very good deals, esp when you book a couple of months in advance, and are able to pick up a Z Class ticket (which is a heavily discounted upper class ticket).

people do pay for them - including me  Smile  Smile

Rich.

IntheKnow

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:21 am

NWAFA,

Since the intro of our new Upper Class Suite, bookings have really picked up. We have also just secured several corporate client contracts so things are looking great here! Just came back from HKG yesterday, out of 50 pax in J 44 of them were full rev!!

I am doing a lot of "Suite" flights at the moment and most are full, we are getting some great comments about the seat and service. Makes me proud again to work here!

Where are you based with NWA?

ITK

NWAFA

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:24 am

ITK,

Thanks for the information! I want to fly on you guys REALLY BAD! One day it will happen!

THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

IntheKnow

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:27 am

NWAFA

Flew you guys a year ago, 753 from SEA to DTW, then D10 to LGW. Loved it and love your new livery, very..............VS!!!!!

Cheers and safe flying

ITK

ConcordeBoy

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:35 am

In 1998

That date should be your first clue...

...since VS first took to New York's skies, they've wanted a way to combat BA's Concorde service. The most commonly proposed idea (shy of bumming SSCs from AF) was an all-J service of some form or other.

Nowadays, in the post Concorde/9-11 era: VS has very little incentive to offer such a route from LHR to America, as it would accomplish little other than trashing the yield on their standard-configured flights.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

mNeo

Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:13 am

i think that an all prm-eco. aircraft would be better than an all J. all of the prm-eco seats are sold and VS could fill up atleast 1 JFK-LHR flight like that
Powered by Maina

GSPSPOT

Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:37 am

I agree with MNeo... I think that an all Premium Economy layout would work. LOTS of people would pay $500-$1000 more roundtrip for more room and amenities. Don't necessarily need the 4-course meals served from a cart, but we ALL want more stretch-out room....

Wonder how Singapore's A345 service from LAX is doing? It's the closest thing to this in the skies right now...
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

IntheKnow

Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:42 pm

Hello All,

By all accounts we are looking at putting more PE seats in too. Its very popular on most routes especially from LGW. When the LGW based 744s are re-configged with the Upper Class Suite the J cabin will shrink to occupy just A Zone and Premium Economy will be extended downstairs to B zone as well as the 38 seats upstairs.

ITK

amhilde

Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:53 am

ITK- any news for those of us at the back? Soon as I get a "real" job Ill be able to move up a cabin, but until then be nice if they could throw back in some of the nice little touches ( or new ones) that have disappeared in the past few years.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

IntheKnow

Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:52 pm

Amhilde!

Hi, there are some things afoot with our economy service and product but no details yet. Now we have launched the Upper Class Suite the company can and will turn to Economy where a much needed re-vamp is overdue. According to sources in product development it will be revolutionary and not like any Y service or product around.....very Virgin!

Cant wait personally, I get lots of complaints from "down the back", some of them remember what a leader we used to be in the Y cabin and are a bit dissapointed now. Totally agree, we need something and sounds like we are gonna get it!

ITK

richardw

Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:26 pm

I would like to fly LON-LAS in PE for about £550 return, do they ever offer such good fares?

pixuk

Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:00 pm

Richard,

Difficult to find those fares on the LAS route, since it's just so popular (and Virgin have little competition on it). However, if you look at flying LHR-LAX and get an internal hop over to LAS (normally v. cheap), you can find PE fares lower than £550 depending on the time of year. I've flown LHR-LAX in PE for as little as £460.

Pix

VgnAtl747

Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:15 pm

The word in the VSFan.org forums is also much change coming for VS, although the employees who have told us of major change... won't give any details  Sad... I guess we just have to wait and see... I can't wait!
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

richardw

Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:32 pm

Bet its More Room and Entertainment Throughout Economy (MRETE), with at least a 33 inch pitch and widescreen PTVs.

BTW do BA ever offer good WT+ fares LHR-PHX?

pixuk

Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:08 pm

Apparently no changes to seat pitch, and as Economy already have the same entertainment system as Upper (with V:Port slowly making its way through the fleet bringing AVOD too), I wonder what changes will be revolutionary. Some hints have been made that the meal service will be changed, although I can't quite see how that's going to make headline news.

We'll all know by November, it seems.

Pix

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos