rsmith6621a

Biggest Hollywood Aviation Blunder

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:08 am

What is the biggest Hollywood Aviation Blunder you have seen???

I think mine is the Brady Bunch II movie.

Carol is Kidnaped and taken to Hawwai and Mike and the kids change course to go and rescue her..

They leave LAX onboard a MD-80 which I dont think would have the range fully loaded to make it to HNL. Then the scene onboard when the Kids and Alice sing for the passengers.........They were in a MD-80 which is a 3+3 config but this AC has a 2 5 2 config....those seats must be a real tight fit if it is to be believed.........

Now share yours......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

aviaar

RE: Biggest Hollywood Aviation Blunder

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:12 am

The movie Airplane..although it was all on purpose, and for good cause. Remains one of the best aviation movies and comedies of all time.
I'd rather be flying (real original)

concord977

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:14 am

Minor correction: The MD-80 has 3-2 seating, not 3-3.

There were two episodes of "The Nanny" with Fran Drescher that featured some aerial stock footage of the prototype 747 (in Boeing colors). Then, the interior shots were of a narrow-body 1st class section with 2-2 seating.

I have seen other shows where a 737 takes off, and a DC-10 lands, but can't remember the specifics.
No info

aviaar

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:17 am

I'd like to say it has 2-3 seating, but I guess that's just me.

No, really, American has 2-3 seating while Delta has 3-2 seating.
I'd rather be flying (real original)

L-188

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:30 am

The biggest crime against aviation committed by Hollywood was the Elliot Gould Disney movie, "Last Flight of Noah's Arc"

Short version, Crash on a tropical island in an old world war II bomber, convince some Japanese troops that didn't know the war was over that it is, then convert the crashed airplane into a raft and sail to safety. Kind of a rip off of "Flight of the phoenix"

They cut up a half dozen restorable B-29's to turn into sets and the "raft" for that film.

Honorable mention, I can't remember the name of the made for TV movie, but an NTSB investigator is working the case of a mid air collision that kills his knocked up flight attendant girlfriend. He thinks it is due to old equipment in the tower, all the time a controller goes nuts and builds a "ray gun" and then goes out and starts zapping control facilities to knock out their electronics to make his point.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

FTOHIST

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:30 am

My favorite is the the movie MIDWAY, which is full of blunders, by the way. I love it where the Charleton Heston character is landing his damaged F4F piston-engined airplane on an aircaft carrier. He loses control and crashes onto the deck and his airplane changes mysteriously into a jet-powered F9F, or something similar. The production crew just inserted real footage of a carrier crash into the sequence without bothering to check what kind of airplane they were replacing. I almost hurt myself laughing every time I see it...

pr1268

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:40 am

Executive Decision. The cockpit is that of a 747 Classic, but the exterior was that of a -400.

GoodFellas. Notice a B747 flying on approach to IDL (now JFK) in 1963. Nice anachronism.

Passenger 57. The scene where the DC-10 is taking back off from the small Louisiana airport with Wesley Snipes climbing in the a/c via the nosegear wheel--well it's obvious the a/c is moving so slowly, yet not even a second later when Wesley's on board it's doin' 160kts (on a runway designed for Cessnas, no less!).

I do understand, though, that the movie producers are in the entertainment business, not the aircraft factual accuracy business.  Wink/being sarcastic

ADDED: L-188's comment about Last Flight of Noah's Ark: Having seen that movie in the theater (I was 11 at the time), it was years later when I realized the silly trivia about that flick.

1. The actual flying a/c used in the movie was "Fertile Myrtle" and was used as a test a/c for the Navy and NACA (now NASA).
  2. Four other B-29's were "borrowed" from the Navy and used for the non-flying scenes of the movie. They were returned to the Navy after filming wrapped but whether they were airworthy I don't know.
  3. One of Rick Schroder's first films
  4. Filmed largely on Waikiki Beach!

Almost forgot about that film....

[Edited 2004-04-20 04:52:04]
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

JaxFlyI

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:42 am

If you have ever seen "view from the top" about the flight attendents you would see an ATR-42 landing but then inside the cabin two F/As are sitting next to each other in front of cabin, well having worked them before the only thing in front of cabin is the foward cargo pit.Also later she is happy to be working an "express" flight with business class!.Since when do turpoprops have a business class?Another is the old Arnold classic "commando" were he escapes a DC-10 by going thru cargo hold onto the foward landing gear strut.Since when can u open any door on a pressurized airplane without the crew being aware of it?Well anyways these werent bad movies just funny to see things like that when you know its so wrong

JaxFlyI

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:44 am

well actually Pr the exterior is a 200, no extended upper deck and no winglets

pr1268

Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:55 am

I stand corrected...

But I insist I saw either the classic exterior and the glass cockpit or vice versa....

Also, back in the 1920's-30's there exist a plethora of films glamourizing aviation with a hideous amount of factual errors, continuity errors, a/v unsynchronized, etc. Among the more easily spotted are the scenes taking place at "altitude" but the a/c is perfectly still on the ground. Usually the director would have someone at the wingtips shaking the plane back and forth to give it the appearance it was airborne...

eclipseflight7

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:02 pm

Catch Me If You Can

"Thats La Guardia runway 44 down there."
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

freshlove1

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Didn't they use an L-1011 in Passenger 57?? Where was the DC-10?? I don't remember it.

CRJ'sRule

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:40 pm

I personally love Die Hard 2, when the terrorists close the door on the 747 as it takes off and you hear a regular door click. Very nice

pr1268

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:48 pm

LOL @ CRJ'sRule. Another silly blunder from that movie is the British (not BA, just the nationality) airline that was "cleared" to land by the terrorists with the hacked ILS approach. The pilots mentioned that they were on "petrol fumes" and dangerously low on fuel. Yet when the a/c crashes into the snowclad ground it's a fireball characteristic of a fully-fueled a/c. Just a thought

solnabo

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:55 pm

Freshlove1:
You´re right, it was a L1011-TriStar Big grin

Michael//SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Jetmarc

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:14 pm

"Stewardess School" is as bad as BAD can get. Cheezy comedy that I saw on Comedy Central full of blunders. Having the first class cabin single aisle, but walk through the curtains into a widebody coach cabin. The best mistake was the flight attendants ditching training: A plane was parked on the ramp, they blew the rear slide, slid down... into a raft floating in a pool. Guess the producers didnt realize that planes dont land the same on water as they do on land. Retards sat in the raft yelling for others to slide down. Cheezy, slightly funny, still gave that movie a big fat F.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

ordpark

Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:11 pm

the thing that bothered me the most about Die Hard 2 was that all those planes continued to hold! waiting for the runway lights to come back and ATC to start talking.....What self respecting crew would do that....they would have/should have diverted long ago.....

masonaries

Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 pm

Tommy Boy. The flight from Sandusky, OH to Chicago, IL on a DC10 I believe? For that matter, the commercial flight into Sandusky, OH at the start of the movie.

BN747

Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:52 pm

There's not enough gigabyte space on A.net to list them all....

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

PHLapproach

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:12 pm

Air Force One, the commander or whatever says to Harrison Ford "This Plane can't just land on it's own" Big grin

mischadee

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:18 pm

I always dream about having it so quiet when I fly as it is in most movies with airplanes.

Mischa.
ARNiboy

Starlionblue

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:27 pm

Alias. One of the eps: It's a widebody, and the hold has 4 metre ceilings. Exterior shots seem to indicate a DC-10, but it's pretty shadowy.

On a parallel note, I love the way cars always blow up in a huge fireball. Right...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

leviticus

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:27 pm

"... you would see an ATR-42 landing but then inside the cabin two F/As are sitting next to each other in front of cabin, well having worked them before the only thing in front of cabin is the forward cargo pit. Also later she is happy to be working an "express" flight with business class ! Since when do turpoprops have a business class ?"

Actually JAXFLYI...

The ATR-42s operated by the Romanian air carrier TAROM all have business class  Laugh out loud

DABZF

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:29 pm

I remember seeing LD3-containers in a belly of B727 and people walking in there straight up - can't remember the movie though.

In Cast Away, in the FedEx MD11 they have huge walkways on both sides and between the AMJ-containers - reality: you have about 10cm between the container and the wall and you can't get anything between two containers!
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

slider

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:36 am

I can't believe a couple folks mentioned Die Hard 2 without mentioning the most egregious blunder:

You can't ignite jet fuel with a zippo. That whole burning plane thing was total and utter horseshit.

goomba

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:42 am

Catch Me If You Can - "That's LaGuardia runway 44 down there." Kills me every time. I never knew that a compass had 440 degrees on it. Last time I checked it went to 360.

Max777

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:46 am

"Catch me if you can" Definitely, I almost lost my mind.... What were they thinking?

Cadmus

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:52 am

I've seen an episode of 'Columbo' where someone went to the airport to collect their wife who, according to the footage used, flew in from New York on a B-52.
Understanding is a three-edged sword

hz747300

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:52 am

Also in Tommy Boy was I think that there is a long-haul flight behind Julie Warner when she is calling from the airport. I thought it was a Saudia L1011. Great stuff!

Also, whenever they show just about any type of plane on the runway, but always show the stock footage of the 747 carriage going into the wheel wells.
Keep on truckin'...

copaair737

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:56 am

In the movie "Shrimp on the Barbie" Cheech takes off from SYD on a 744, and comes back on a 737.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

N766UA

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:58 am

Tommy Boy. The flight from Sandusky, OH to Chicago, IL on a DC10 I believe? For that matter, the commercial flight into Sandusky, OH at the start of the movie.

Don't forget "I'd like to buy a ticket to Cuyahoga Falls, please." Cuyahoga Falls doesn't even have a grass strip let alone commercial service.

Biggest blunder? Pushing tin- the entire movie. Complete garbage.
This Website Censors Me

scbriml

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:59 am

In Cast Away, in the FedEx MD11

Wasn't it an A300 in Cast Away? Or should I drink less wine before watching a movie?  Nuts
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

clewatcher

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:03 am

Havent seen Tommyboy in a while, But, didnt they fly from Chicago into Cuyahoga Falls or Sandusky on a BA jumbo?

also, for me, the great blunders in hollywood aviaition, Most Made for TV movies have a lot of mess ups.

On that note, The Langoliers, In the movie, they had a Tristar, But they used a 767 in the book. I hate it when movie writers and directors and editors do that!
They need to keep true to the book!
-Raymond

Leezyjet

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:15 am

In Passenger 57 where Wesley Snipes is walking fully upright in the hold between the baggage containers !!!.

Anyone who is over about 5'6 cannot stand upright in a hold and there is only a couple of inches space between the baggage cans !!!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:19 am

Another blunder in Catch Me If You Can involves an inflight shot of a TWA 707 in the red-and-white liveries that ran from 1974? to 1996?. In reality, the TWA plane would've had the Twin-Globes livery. The year of the flight was supposed to be 1969.

In Airplane II in a flashback scene from the original Airplane, Lloyd Bridges (voice-over) makes reference to the plane being a 767; in reality, the plane was a 707. The original movie was released prior to the debut of the 767.

[Edited 2004-04-20 19:25:51]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

SWAFA30

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:23 am

Ever see the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Elaine have the "trip from hell" trying to get back to New York? Jerry gets upgraded to First Class and Elaine is stuck in a middle seat back in coach. For some reason Kramer who is supposed to be at the airport with George to pick up Jerry and Elaine is being chased by airport security and ends up out on the runway. As their flight lands, Jerry or Elaine, I forget which... looks out the window and actually sees Kramer running along the aircraft. The exterior shot of the aircraft is a Southwest 737...you can almost make out the tail number...I believe it was a -500. Among the other glaring errors like the fact that SWA does not fly to New York... the exterior, airborne shots of the aircraft earlier in the episode were of a DC-9.

Devil505x

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:25 am

In Home Alone, Kevin's mother meets up with John Candy in Scranton. I assume Scranton, PA because there are no other Scrantons with an airport. and Polka bands around. Anyway the airport looks quite large and there are quite a few passengers stranded there. AVP is a Class D airport with TRSA and 5 airlines. But the biggest blunder I think is that it is an American Airlines ticket counter when AA does/did not fly there!
I also wonder how she got from Europe to AVP overnight anyway.

ssides

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:37 am

In The Usual Suspects, there is a scene where a 747 is arriving at JFK from South America, bringing in an emerald smuggler. There is a shot of the plane from the front as it is landing, and it passes over the camera, then it's a rear shot of the plane touching down. From the front, the plane is clearly a 747, but when you turn around and get the rear view, it's a two-engined plane; most likely a 767.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

hz747300

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:41 am

She got to Scranton through Dallas, and Nashville, as I recall she whined to the poor fella behind the counter. It is my favorite Christmas movie!

Remember in "European Vacation" when he goes to use the head and accidently knocks open the cockpit door and the plane dives and the wing knocks over the statue of liberty's torch? Something about the whole scene seemed kinda blunderish. For example, wouldn't the torch rip through the wing causing a fire with an explosion? Second of all if they were that low, would not the seatbelt sign be on as they prepare for their final approach into Kennedy. The whole thing does not seem plausible...
Keep on truckin'...

ssides

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:48 am

Yeah, in Home Alone, the only thing that's realistic is that she took a non-stop AA ORY-DFW flight (at least I'm pretty sure it was ORY in the movie -- and I know for a fact that AA was still flying to ORY then). Still, if I remember right, they lived in Chicago, and I can't believe she wouldn't be able to catch a DFW-ORD flight -- there are about 25 flights a day!
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

unattendedbag

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:50 am

Iron Eagle, when little Dougie Masters drops the 'hades' bomb to stop the approaching army on the runway.

As he is landing to pick up his father, what is that hanging from below the fuselage? It's the 'hades' bomb he just dropped.

hmmm...

Also, why couldn't those idiots have taken a parallel taxiway or just gone around the flames?
Slower traffic, keep right

bmacleod

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:02 am

Has to be 1980's "Starflight One" starring Lee Majors where the hyper-sonic aircraft follows right-behind the space shuttle on re-entering the atmosphere. In reality, the aircraft would disintegrate trying to re-enter the atmosphere, right?

[Edited 2004-04-20 20:16:25]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

IAD777

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:06 am

It would have to be diehard 2, when the made up british airline 707 is brought in by the terrorist dulles controllers (none of it was filmed at dulles, all of it was at LAX, which is also annoying!) and they reset the altimeter for 300 feet below the actual ground level and the pilots fly an ILS approach right into the ground and crash. Always aggravated me! What about Dulles Jeppsen charts and radio altimeters???

cheers
History shall be kind to me; for I intend to write it -WSC

PanAm747

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:19 am

I think Die Hard 2 takes the cake for atrocities...the flying of a fuel starved jet into the ground exploding like it was filled to the gills with dynamite...the lighting of a fireball with a zippo lighter...the fact that not ONE airport was operating nearby (PHL, BWI, DCA, RIC, ORF, PIT, etc)...Bruce Willis able to call his airborne wife from the airport...the list goes on and on.

But by far the THE most egregious error of all time is the shot of Bruce Willis supposedly at Dulles...talking on a phone clearly labelled as PACIFIC BELL. To this day I cannot understand how the entire crew, from director to actors to set designers to the editing staff missed that, and yet everyone in the theater where I saw it picked it out immediately. You could actually feel the respect level drop in an instant.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

ckfred

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 am

Home Alone:

First, the family is trying to catch an 11:30 am departure out of ORD for ORY. At that time, the ORY departure left between 5 and 6 pm. AA's only departure for Europe that leaves before noon is a LHR departure at 9 am, and that didn't start until the mid 90s.

Second, the plane that left for ORY in the movie was a DC-10. At the time, the ORY flght was with a 767.

Third, the DC-10 that took off was a Series 10 (No center main gear). Sorry, but that plane doesn't have trans-Atlantic range.

Home Alone 2:

First, the family is flying to MIA, but Kevin winds up on a flight to LGA. While AA was flying 767s from ORD to LGA, the only widebodies going to MIA were A300s. Yet, both flight in the movie were 767s.

Second, Kevin gets to sit in first class. Funny thing, but there is a spiral staircase in the first class cabin. I don't recall the 767 having a staircase going up from the cabin. My guess is that the scene was shot in the 747SP cabin simulator.

Pronto

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:26 am

There are far too many to list - from inaccurate time frame for certain a/c to the "standard" one type taking off and another landing... Recent military movies(the ones based on true events, mind you) usually have advisors for accuracy - maybe aviation movies should use them too!!

squad55

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:39 am

The opening scene of Tommy Boy (where he lands in Ohio and meets David Spade) was taken at Toronto Island Airport. The aircraft used with a Air Ontario Dash 8.

When Farley and Spade dress up as F/A's the exterior shots are of an Air Transat L1011. I believe inside the airport are shots of YYZ.

**Nothing beats the part where Chris Farley tries to get changed in the LAV.. he finally brakes the door... "I'm ok really" hahaha

Spade:"What number did you call?"
Farley: "5 6 7 3 4 niner 2'
Spade: "What's that your trailing off,, and did I catch a niner in there.. were you callin from a walkie talkie."
Farley: "No it was cordless"

solnabo

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:40 am

Anyone remember a movie with a deathrocker looking like a vampire doing a gig omboard a 747??????
I mean........c´moon! Was the worst crappy movie so far  Nuts  Nuts

Michael//SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

manzoori

Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:31 am

Can't remember the name of the movie... Executive Decision perhaps? where a crack team of commandos / special forces are flown up in a F-117 "Troop carrier", which then "docks" with the special hatch that exists on all 747s using an extending umbilical device. They're using a stealth plane because.... a 747 has all round radar coverage perhaps?

Hilarious!

Cheers!

Rez
 Big thumbs up
Flightlineimages DOT Com Photographer & Web Editor. RR Turbines Specialist

redngold

Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:27 am

Just saw "Kill Bill vol.1" for the first time this past weekend... On the cartoon map, each time The Bride flies she is on a rear-mounted two-engine aircraft, but they show what appears to be a 747-400 landing at the Tokyo airport, and the interior of the aircraft shows her on a narrowbody.

redngold
Up, up and away!