greatansett

Is The New CEO To Late For US Air

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:48 pm

With the new CEO of US AIRWAYS coming into the top position he is faced with many challenges. What needs to be done within the group to turn itself around? Is it to Late? If YOU were the CEO what would you do?
Ron Paul 2012

NWAFA

RE: Is The New CEO To Late For US Air

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:49 pm

I think US finally has a "chance" to make it!

THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

MxCtrlr

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:17 pm

A LOT depends on whether the unions embrace the tough concessions that will be required to make US survive. If they do (which is a 50/50 proposition) then I'd say US will make it; if not, then its hasta la bye-bye for US. Basically, the ball is in the unions' court but the new management has a monumental task ahead of them in selling a new, revised culture to the unions.

Good luck to both sides!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

StevenUhl777

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:28 pm

I believe it will come down to this new CEO's ability to restore credibility with the employee groups and convince them VERY QUICKLY that a.) US has a new business plan that can succeed and b.) that he and management can be trusted to implement that plan.

US really has a golden opportunity here: if they can pull things together and have a great summer season, then their prospects are greatly improved for the short term, and possibly even the long term.

I hope for the best for US! Things don't look great right now, but then the same was true for UAL, and they have managed to make huge strides towards recovery. So, the jury is still out on US.

Q3 results will determine their fate, IMO.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

AA717driver

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:43 pm

You guys are kidding me, right? The replacement CEO is one of Bronner's boys. The union's have had better relations with him!?

Yeah, and Carl Icahn's managers were good for TWA...  Insane TC
FL450, M.85

greatansett

Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:13 pm

My Knowledge of US AIR is very limited but is it a union run airline?
Ron Paul 2012

greatansett

Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:04 am

If it is a union run airline do they have problems when acquiring new aircraft.
Ron Paul 2012

MxCtrlr

Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:36 pm

...is it a union run airline?

While it isn't a traditional "union-run" company, in the true sense of the word, labor relations with union representation (at least here in the States) is a tricky business. While UAL was a "union-run" airline, look what the pilots' union did to it in the Summer of Hell in 2000?

If US cannot get the support of their union people, who's contracts are not presently up for negotiation, and win the cost concessions they supposedly need to survive, then the hand writing is on the wall and they are doomed to failure.

It is a very delicate situation when you have staked your income on a certain amount and then it drops year-over-year. Agree to the concessions and definitely lose some of your spendable income; don't agree with the concessions and possibly lose ALL of your spendable income.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

greatansett

Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:54 pm

What was the Summer of Hell?
Ron Paul 2012

freshlove1

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:23 pm

Atleast we have a better chance now then with Siegel, Siegel just didn't get it from day one and it showed.

A330323X

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:33 pm

My Knowledge of US AIR is very limited but is it a union run airline?

As said above, US is not "union-run".

US does have a very high percentage of its labor groups unionized, however. The pilots are represented by ALPA. The flight attendants are represented by AFA. The mechanics, fleet service workers, and maintenance trainers are all represented by the IAM. The dispatchers, flight crew instructors, and simulator engineers are all represented by the TWU. The customers service agents / reservations agents are represented by the CWA.

In addition, union representatives hold 4 of the 15 seats on the US Airways Board of Directors. ALPA, IAM, and CWA each nominate one director; AFA and TWU together nominate one director.

If it is a union run airline do they have problems when acquiring new aircraft.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. US did have perhaps the most restrictive RJ scope clause in the industry, but not any longer.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

N79969

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:40 pm

Same message...different face. There's not a whole lot new that the new CEO or any other can do.

Aa717Driver, Bronner is one of the reasons that USAirways has made it this far.

AA717driver

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:41 pm

'Siegel didn't get it.'? And Bronner does?

Bronner doesn't want to run an airline any more than Carl did. Insane

Those who refuse to learn from history... But at least USAir is consistant--they welcomed Stephen "don't call me Steve" Wolf with open arms.

Good luck.TC
FL450, M.85

flashmeister

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:47 pm

Doesn't anyone think that the choice of a former Lehman Bros. CEO looks a bit suspicious? This guy has a history of maximizing shareholder value -- that's a fancy term for selling off the stuff that is worth something. Could the new guy simply be Bronner's man to carve up some, if not all, of the airline to get RSA their investment back?

Remember: Bronner is in this to make money, period. He has no interest in making US a long-term player if it doesn't make RSA rich in the process.

NIKV69

Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:14 pm

I am not sure a new CEO is going to do anything, we will have a better idea after WN starts service at Philly. I still feel USAirways will be gone soon.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!