Alessandro
Topic Author

Port Blair Airport?

Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:38 pm

Anyone knows if there are any pics of Port Blair airport on the net?
I found out that it´s 11000 feet long and have a terminal for 400 people,
thanks in advance...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Bofredrik

RE: Port Blair Airport?

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:03 pm

Port Blair airport is a small, old airport that was constructed in 1947.

Men:

"Do not take pictures of the airport, government dockyard, defence establishments, naval wharf, Dhanikari Dam and Chatham Saw Mill."

AvioGuy

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:33 pm

its supposed to have one of the most specatculor approaches. Never seen it myself but thats what i have heard.
the scale of my sanity is not linear..

swissgabe

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:48 pm

Hope being able to go there soon.

There are connections from MAA and CCU to IXZ. Airlines operating are IC and 9W.

11000 Feet is quite long. Was the Airport used by the Indian Air Force before?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

mrniji

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:41 pm

Definitely one of the sweatest a/p I have landed... a beautiful landing, and the airport building is smaller than a four member family house... taking off and landing is not the easiest due to the limited runway... I will try to check whether I have pics and give a message if I find any and upload them
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:50 pm

Mrniji, I would be grateful if you did. I saw that both Jet Airways and Indian Airlines fly to Port Blair from Chennai (both) and Kolkata (IA).
IA use A320 on the route and JA Boeings (didn´t stay which), I saw some pictures from a sportfishing magazine and I would like to spend next Xmas
there, but the price seem a bit too much at the moment...

mrniji

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:54 pm

I do my best but I am not sure whether I have pics from the airport there... I will check when I am back in FRA. You can also drop me a private email when you need info,

I took IC in 2000, still on the CD Boeing 732s... I had a visit India pass for 14 days $ 500 unlimited travel with IC... but even the ship is a cheap, but long alternative, The place itself is amazing, but get away from South Andaman asap!  Smile

Tell me if you need more info
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

B747-437B

Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:20 pm

I'd be very surprised if the runway was really 11000 ft. My memory of my last trip there about 10 years ago was a runway just under 6000 ft long. That is why both IC/9W schedule their flights as early morning arrivals/departures - anything warmer and the aircraft would not be able to make the 2 hour flight back to the mainland.

Regarding military activity, there is a naval base there but the only aircraft based at IXZ used to be Sea Harriers with VTOL capacity - so the runway length is sufficient for them.

As mrniji says, it is an absolutely tiny airport. No taxiways, no apron, nothing. Just a single strip leading from a sheer cliff to a hill. Aircraft turn around at the end of the runway and passengers offload/onload right there. There are no conveyors or similar for luggage. The guys put it into a truck and park by the terminal. You then root through the pile and figure out which is yours.

The approach to IXZ is indeed very spectacular as you are literally flying over open ocean and coral reefs until you hit the runway which is almost 100 feet above the sea level and comes at you out of nowhere.

I too have pictures of the Andamans, but not of the airport itself. Due to the naval base, photography there is highly prohibited (more so than at most Indian airports) so I didn't risk any photos.

The Andamans are truly paradise on earth and I would love to go back there sometime.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

B747-437B

Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:29 pm

IA use A320 on the route and JA Boeings (didn´t stay which)

IC uses A320s from MAA and the CD B732s from CCU.

9W uses B734s from MAA, but occasionally substitute a B73G or B738 if loads and/or operational conditions warrant.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:49 pm

Thanks that explain why there´s no photos availble.
I found info about the PB airport at http://andaman.nic.in/ch_flight.htm
and http://www.world-airport-codes.com/india/port-blair-airport-5944.html

[Edited 2004-04-24 13:51:46]

mrniji

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:09 am

Alessandro and Sean, if you say that you are going... I might join again! It was fantastic and my best holidays...  Smile Have fun!

Jubilee777

Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:32 am

Haven't actually seen the airport but Port Blair is beautiful.

Ross Island (correct?) is a must, with those rotting cannons and quiet rocky beach......ohh bliss

Only thing is the sun comes out at 0500hrs local time and set at 1700hrs local time due to the island following the Indian mainland timings.... a bit hard to adjust thou'.

Cheers
Jubi777

IndianFlyboy

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:40 pm

Its a 6000 ft runway in Port Blair . The Harriers are not there anymore , the current a/c operating from there is the Do 228. The longest runway in India belongs to the Indian Navy which is in Arokanam, 90 km from Chennai. The unit INS Rajali operates the TU 142 bear.

More information available here:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/INS-Rajali.html

mrniji

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:33 pm

Wow, they must have really refurbished the airport. When I was there it looked like a traditional andaman hutt, now there is a makaan (hindi: building)!  Smile

But I couldn't imagine it could handle more than the two IC a/c and the one 9W a/c at one time!

AvioGuy

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:46 pm

Port Blair will be soon a full naval command i think due to increase Chinese activity.
the scale of my sanity is not linear..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos