MAH4546
Topic Author

Aero Continente Barred From US

Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:27 pm

Aero Continente has been barred from flying to the United States by the FAA. Aero Continente offers year-round service between Miami and Lima via Guayquil four times a week, and seasonal non-stop service between Miami and Lima three times a week. Subsidiary Aero Continente Dominicana flies four times a week between Miami and Santo Domingo, and Aero Continente also operates Air d'Ayiti's daily service between Miami and Port Au Prince. Aero Continente operations to MIA will continue unchanged as they will be wetleasing a US-registered aircraft immediately to continue serving Miami, though no indication from who.

Article:
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/international/index.ssf?/base/international-2/1082683442229180.xml
a.

b752fanatic

RE: Aero Continente Barred From US

Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:34 pm

I saw the other day a 757 they had leased, I dont know if it is wet or dry lease, but it had the N6 colors alright.

The 752 was departing to LIM, as a ferry.

Too bad for the Peruvians, as N6 is the only peruvian Airline flying to the US.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

ConcordeBoy

Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:47 pm

Curious as to why the all-New Orleans news would be concerned with this...
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

andahuailas

Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:29 pm

B752fanatic, you r wrong, Lan peru also flies to the US.

4jaded

Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Yeah but Lan Peru intl fleet to the US is registered in Chile. They are subjected to the Chilean Government not the Peruvian Govt for oversight.

LVZXV

Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:42 pm

I read about it too. It was a judicious choice, given Aero Continente has an appalling safety record. Not that they have experienced any major crashes in recent years, thank God, but one too many "might have beens" and countless incidents such as undercarriage collapses, systems failures, engine failures etc. which, whether you like the airline or not, brings its lousy maintenance to the surface. Also, its founder, who created the airline in 1992, allegedly has drugs connections and has purportedly used Aero Continente aircraft in the past to ship drugs. Coming out of Peru, none of this would surprise me. And Peru has yet to produce a safe and successful airline (can you call TACA Peruvian?), given that Aero Peru and Faucett both foundered in recent years, TANS Peru is not too far off, Imperial Airways (flew Tu-134s) was grounded because their aircraft WERE being used to ship drugs, and now the Peruvians are unhappy that LAN is conquering the local market. Jesus, how does Bolivia somehow manage? Aero Continente is headed down the same road as VASP, it seems.

XV

How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

LVZXV

Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:48 pm

Should be barred from flying, period!

letit

Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:01 pm

"Should be barred from flying, period!"

My one experience of flying Aero Continente was OK ...

hugojimenez

Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:02 pm

Sorry about the Aero Continente situation with the FAA in the U.S..

One alternate option for Peruvians by the moment is Taca Peru, a Salvadoran airline part of Grupo Taca. Just one inconvenience, you must fly trough SJO or SAL, and change aircraft.

latinaviation

Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:03 pm

I wonder if this is somehow related to the building momentum against their founder, Fernando Zevallos? Even though he isn't running the airline, his sister is, he is still closely involved, and the US and Chile seem more reverent in convicting him of narcotics trafficking. He was recently forbidden from re-entering the US and just this week the US State Dept. issued a memorandum forbidding staff travel on Aerocontinente.

chepos

Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:19 pm

Will Air D'ayity's flights still be operated by Aero Continente's wet leased aircraft? I guess Aero Continente's plans to start flights to FLL went down the drain with this new roadblock. By the way does Aero Continente manage good loads on their flight to SDQ, LIM and Guayaquil? Im surprised they cant operate a daily year round nonstop to LIMA.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

miamix707

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:09 am

Interesting indeed, I just saw their 767 here about 2 or 3 days ago, and their 757 came in from maintenance but left very quickly (wonder if it was due to the ban)

As always corruption in Latin America takes its toll and Miami has lost many latin airlines during the past several years. Some went bankrupt, others merged or were taken over, others banned because the country's category was downgraded. I hope this is not the latest airline to disappear from the Miami skies.

lanperu

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:14 am

Aero Continente brings alot of shame to Peruvian aviation...they have excellent customer service and they friendly (as far as I have seen on the ground). However in general they have an image that is pretty ambiguious...I am SURE there has been money laundering and all that. Really, if I could I would start an airline that would be able to get rid of Aero Continente without leaving a gap in the service they are currently providing. I know that this is stupid...but Peru needs a "Peruvian" airline it's good to have other companies in there...but you have to realize that there are not too many Peruvian companies even in Peru. Like I've said before, you'd have to be there to know what I am talking about....Does anyone want to join me in starting this new airline? LOL

luisca

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:27 am

COPA´s Lima-PTY-MIA connection has been increasing steadily, copa added more frequencys to lima some time ago.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

LVZXV

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:20 am

LanPeru:

Spot on! Peru honestly deserves better. Flying on Aero Continente really is cheating death, even it your flight is ok. Their aircraft are not so much old (that goes without saying!) but like I said in Reply #5, it's there maintenance. If I lived in Peru I probably would start an airline, but here in Argentina there is also work to be done. What I want to see is what is happening in Brazil; modern, dynamic LCC Gol giving the moribund dinosaur of VASP a run for its money if it wants to stay in the game. Shame LAN and TACA are neither LCCs nor fully Peruvian, but at least they are safe and modern.

XV

SNBA319

Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:31 am

Interesting indeed, I just saw their 767 here about 2 or 3 days ago

Wow! hmmmm I saw the 737-300 today at Stockholm ARN, probably diverted  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

miamix707

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:29 pm

funny, but no you didn't. that thing is not operating for JAT anymore is it??

lan707

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:21 pm

YEAH it`s flying for JAT as YU-AON. I can´t tell you why they still fly it with full B& titles and colors after almost 2years in serivce and I see it at least once a week at FRA.

I am not sure this A/C has ever operated for B6 or it was just painted and the deal fell through.

Who´s have more info about that.

brgds

LVZXV

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:38 pm

Reminds me of LAB, who received two 733s from a bounced VASP order in the mid-90s, as the Brazilian airline started going fishy under Wagner Canhedo. I think there must be a similar story behind N6's 733. And they have had problems with their 762ERs too. Is N6 actually profit-making?

XV

lanperu

Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:47 am

In response to N6 making a profit that is very hard to determine considering that they do not have an annual report or anything like that. I will tell you one thing..I doubt they make anything major which is why I fear that AeroContinente will either "crash to death"- meaning there will be multiple crashes and people will just stop flying (which I hope doesn't happen) or they will have to just shut down. It would be a bad thing if any of this were to happen, but it is the only thing that seems that can happen. It is sad that there is no Peruvian flag carrier and that LIM is dominated by foreign carrier on all intercontinental flights. Many Peruvians love to go to Lima to see their families or Peru in general and these planes DO fill up. I would love to just go and launch an airline right now, but I would have to get some experience first. I doubt that we will see any noticeable changes at Aero Continente.

-LanPeru

LVZXV

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:24 pm

I have to say I am astonished that N6 doesn't have a single registered hull-loss, up till now. I can imagine your "crash to death" scenario, LanPeru, but then again I've visualised it for the last 3 years, and so far, nothing serious. Is it just chance that all incidents are minor and engines tend to fail before rather than after take-off? What holds their planes together, I wonder? Glue?

XV

lanperu

Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:22 am

Has there been any news on what the replacement aircraft/company will be? Since they said that services will not be terminated. If there is anyone in the MIA aerea then I would greatly appreciate it.