argento

Austrian Airlines And The Future

Sun Feb 06, 2000 9:47 am

This year austrian will became a staralliance member, but with this new neonzi gobernament the EC rejected the new president.Will be austrian in the star??

RE: Austrian Airlines And The Future

Sun Feb 06, 2000 10:22 am

Austrian is classy airline with perfect flight and customer service record. I love their fleet and their livery. I think they also have some Boeing certifications for performing C-cheks.

Should they be punished in the course of 'higher means' politics? Perhaps. They wouldn't be the first, nor the last ones.

If their airline's membership in Star alliance depends on political choices people of Austria make in their daily lives (along with every other element in international trade relations), perhaps next time they will think more when they go for voting ballot.

The question should be: If I had a choice of buying airline ticket at two or more alliances, would I choose the one that includes airline controlled by Neonazi goverment? No, thanks.

LH423

Sun Feb 06, 2000 1:32 pm

Austrian is planning to restart 5-time-weekly services to IAD, although no longer routing through ZRH in co-operation with SR. They are also planning to start daily ORD service, so these are most likely there to feed United's network. My step-mother (who's Austrian), has a sister who works for OS, and from what I've heard, OS seems to be a very good airline, and if they ever fly non-stop out of Boston, I hope to fly them.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mon Feb 07, 2000 5:48 am

i am welcoming austrian into the star alliance family.

i fly AC on a regular basis and i will indeed search out AU flights ex. N.A. to vienna.

regarding star alliance and "alligning" themselves with the austrian government or at least the perception there of.... one thing only to say....

has anyone looked at Thailand these days?

Bicoastal

Mon Feb 07, 2000 5:57 am

Governments and politicians come and go but airlines keep flying and flying. Austrian Airlines will survive the current government crisis by doing what they do best, flying people from one point to another. Star Alliance will welcome them with open arms because the airline is not connected to the government leaders in the far right party.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

AFa340-300E

Mon Feb 07, 2000 6:00 am

Hello,

I think this is going to be a major drawback for OS to be in a country governed by neonazis.

To my mind : whether OS will join Star Alliance or not will depend on how deep the opinion will react against this new governement.
If there are still as many demonstrations against dictature in three months as now, then you'll be sure Lufthansa and UAL won't risk to make OS entering the Star Alliance.

Bes regards,
Alain Mengus