Zweed
Topic Author

Europe In 10 Years

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:56 pm

Let your mind go free. What do you think the airline industry in Europe will look like in 10 years time?

I reckon we have a couple strong bg actors. BA, LH and AF/KLM. These are dominating the market and smaller actors such as SAS, Alitalia (if they survive), Finnair has more or less been taken over by one of these big actors.
Scandinavian for example, they will be a company under direct Controll of LH, just as KLM under Air France.

The big airports in Europe have gone bigger, and 90% of all long-haul traffic will go through one of these airports.
Traffic increased heavily to Asia and South America since we have lots of emerging markets and economies there, Lots of money to be made.
When it comes to LCC, the glory days are over. But those who survived are strong, very strong. Easyjet, Ryanair and Virgin have a big marketshare there.

What do you think?

mischadee

RE: Europe In 10 Years

Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:10 pm

I must agree with you Zweed. SAS will probably be controlled by LH but they will still certainly stand for the nice Scandinavian standard and reliability. I don't think LH will acquire the SAS fleet in it's own, just control them. As for LCCs I also agree with you there. Now when Europe is becoming smaller with the EU the European airlines will also disappear and be taken over by the biggies. But mark my words SAS will survive till that happens.

Mischa.
ARNiboy

jwenting

Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:22 pm

There will be 2 large airlines, 3 at most.
Air Farce, Lufthansa and maybe British Airways (if they haven't been sold to either AF, LH or some American partner like AA by then).
Number of international airports will decrease drastically as the smaller countries get absorbed into becoming colonies of Germany and France with international (meaning outside the EU) flights being scrapped and their airports reduced to become clearinghouses for CDG and Frankfurt/Main.
I wish I were flying

mischadee

Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:38 pm

Jwenting

We are talking about 10 years from now. It sounds more like 50 or more when you're talking about colonies and stuff like that.

Mischa.
ARNiboy

access-air

Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:57 pm

We wont be here...
We will totally blow each other to bits by then....Especially with all the terrorism and the endless pissing matches our countries leaders enjoy getting into....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!