kl911

FF Miles, Only A USA Thing?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:01 am

Forgive me for asking, but my experience is that working as a business travel consultant my American clients are very focused on FF miles, often limiting my options to give them a good flight..... Europeans also, but not often.

Question is : Why is FF so important in the US, while in Europe we choose the cheapest flight, or the quickest connection over FF miles?

KL911

geoffm

RE: FF Miles, Only A USA Thing?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:05 am

Well, my only experience is with CO miles and BA miles. BA miles are extremely stingy - they only give you what you paid FULL PRICE for, otherwise 25%. CO accredit full mileage which meant I've had 2 business class upgrades with CO and none with BA, despite similar total miles. And (so far) it has taken 5 months to get Emirates miles added to my BA account (still yet to be added).

Much as I would like to collect miles, it seems extremely hard to do in Europe. Somebody please enlighten me as to how I should be doing it (and don't say pay full Y price).

Geoff M.

kl911

Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:18 am

I still say: Pay the cheaper fare, it can be 4x cheaper and use that money for a free ticket......... much easier, and no stress......

levg79

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:36 am

Well, when you're booking an airfare in the US, you usually get the same airfare on the same route from different carriers. Sometime there's a price difference of about $5-10. In that case, it does not make much sense to go for the cheaper fare if you have an opportunity to earn some miles...

Just checked on orbitz.com:
A round trip JFK-LAX-JFK non stop on a random date brought the following results:

UA - $222
AA - $222
HP - $222
US - $269
DL - $282
AS - $660

I would definitely not opt for AS no matter of which FF program they offer. However, I would probably choose UA because I already have some miles accrued with them. Just my $0.02 on the subject
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

icarus75

Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:37 pm

I'm used to fly with Air france (coach section) for my work and I can earn a lot of miles, most of the time with extra bonus.
For example : CDG - STR - CDG - 2000 miles + 1000 miles as a bonus.
When I go to south of France, even with the cheapest fare, I also earn miles.
For example : CDG or ORY - MPL and back - 500 miles.
So I do not think it is so difficult to earn miles, at least with Air France.
But by experience, I know it is not that easy with other airlines like SAS for example.
I did twice CDG - CPH - CDG.
With AF, I earned 3000 miles but only 1500 with SAS.
Flying is amazing!

nethkt

Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:46 pm

Most of the FFP in the USA offer something like life-time account. You can save the miles you fly forever as long as you reactivate the account within 3 years time.

I think that's the case why the American prefre something about FFP over Prices.

But here, in Asia, I think people are more concern about the services onboard as we all don't speak English. So we prefer airlines with better services and language assistant!!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
NET
Let's just blame it on yields.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos