kl911

FF Miles, Only A USA Thing?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:01 am

Forgive me for asking, but my experience is that working as a business travel consultant my American clients are very focused on FF miles, often limiting my options to give them a good flight..... Europeans also, but not often.

Question is : Why is FF so important in the US, while in Europe we choose the cheapest flight, or the quickest connection over FF miles?

KL911

geoffm

RE: FF Miles, Only A USA Thing?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:05 am

Well, my only experience is with CO miles and BA miles. BA miles are extremely stingy - they only give you what you paid FULL PRICE for, otherwise 25%. CO accredit full mileage which meant I've had 2 business class upgrades with CO and none with BA, despite similar total miles. And (so far) it has taken 5 months to get Emirates miles added to my BA account (still yet to be added).

Much as I would like to collect miles, it seems extremely hard to do in Europe. Somebody please enlighten me as to how I should be doing it (and don't say pay full Y price).

Geoff M.

kl911

Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:18 am

I still say: Pay the cheaper fare, it can be 4x cheaper and use that money for a free ticket......... much easier, and no stress......

levg79

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:36 am

Well, when you're booking an airfare in the US, you usually get the same airfare on the same route from different carriers. Sometime there's a price difference of about $5-10. In that case, it does not make much sense to go for the cheaper fare if you have an opportunity to earn some miles...

Just checked on orbitz.com:
A round trip JFK-LAX-JFK non stop on a random date brought the following results:

UA - $222
AA - $222
HP - $222
US - $269
DL - $282
AS - $660

I would definitely not opt for AS no matter of which FF program they offer. However, I would probably choose UA because I already have some miles accrued with them. Just my $0.02 on the subject
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

icarus75

Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:37 pm

I'm used to fly with Air france (coach section) for my work and I can earn a lot of miles, most of the time with extra bonus.
For example : CDG - STR - CDG - 2000 miles + 1000 miles as a bonus.
When I go to south of France, even with the cheapest fare, I also earn miles.
For example : CDG or ORY - MPL and back - 500 miles.
So I do not think it is so difficult to earn miles, at least with Air France.
But by experience, I know it is not that easy with other airlines like SAS for example.
I did twice CDG - CPH - CDG.
With AF, I earned 3000 miles but only 1500 with SAS.
Flying is amazing!

nethkt

Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:46 pm

Most of the FFP in the USA offer something like life-time account. You can save the miles you fly forever as long as you reactivate the account within 3 years time.

I think that's the case why the American prefre something about FFP over Prices.

But here, in Asia, I think people are more concern about the services onboard as we all don't speak English. So we prefer airlines with better services and language assistant!!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
NET
Let's just blame it on yields.