OmShanti

Spotting Only FEW Feet From Runway?

Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:08 am

Hello Friends,
While holding for takeoff in Ohare Airport and sitting on left side of the plane to watch the approaching aircraft down to the runway, it was truly a amazing sight. It was a total different impression to watch two 747s and one 777 approach the closest to me than ever before. I have been to Castle Island in BOS and thought it was close, but this was simply INCREDIBLE!!!!

How close have you gotten to the actual runway and what did you think?

Best regards

Omshanti

NWAA330

RE: Spotting Only FEW Feet From Runway?

Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:37 am

Spent countless hours standing here spotting with my father when I was younger. Fond memories of being completely blown over by the jetblasts of an MD-11 and countless 744's. Far more people now, back then it would be us and maybe a couple of bike riders now and then. Great spot though.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Allen Yao
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Allen Yao

Regards,
NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

NWB757300

Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:18 am

I sat on my tug once at PHX rwy 26 end on the centerline probably about 150-200 feet from the end of the runway...it was awesome!
Remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous?

Blackbird1331

Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:34 am

I have a few special spots around my favorite airport but am reluctant to post them on a public forum. It is incredible how many paranoids have been born out of the events of 9/11.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

FRASYD

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:21 am

Very hard to get that close to the RWY's when you are not an Airport ID-holder.

I'm lucky enough to have one and thus spent some time in Frankfurt and in Sydney really close to the Runway. In SYD it was only 4-5 Meters when a QF744 came down because some work took place right besides the touch down zone. We had to inspect that work and thus it was possible to come that close during operations.

The feeling is just awesome. Pure power and majesty, I would say..  Smile

Indio66

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:31 am

Bali runway is very approachable, either from Jimbaran bay on the south or Kuta on the north. With only one run way, you are going to see everything coming in there.

flashmeister

Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:09 am

PDX has a couple of spots along Marine Drive where you can get pretty close... closer than a lot of places I've seen.

EGGD

Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:11 am

I used to be able to get within 20m of the runway threshold here at Bristol, was mighty fine watching those 737 classics and 1-11's right down the throat.. The noise and the power was unbelievable.

737Captain

Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:24 am

I was on the tug with NWB757300 on that day, it was pretty dang cool.
peace!
oh yeah and tom is a tool
"Why do you insist on man-pawing the glareshield everytime you climb up here?!"

PW100

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:50 am

Gilze-Rijen AFB was spotter's heaven. Arguably the most spotters friendly place on earth. Unfortunately it's no longer a fast jet base, but still is home to two squadrons of AH-64N Apache attack copters.

Believe it or not, these photo's below were all made from public ground without the use of ladder or anything. They are all perfectly legal, with no worries of police harrasing the photogs . . . .

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sergio Gava

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

levg79

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:06 am

In JFK, there's a perfect spot right by the Customs building. There's a free parking lot and you are literally standing next to rwy 31R threshold. From where you're standing you can clearly distinguish which of the tires touches the land first, provided there's the right wind. A lot of regulars are out there watching "heavy" after "heavy" land. I only got harassed by authorities once there. It was during the night and they did no more than signal me to leave. Perfect spot.

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

redngold

Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:38 am

At CLE:

The old 100th Bomb Group Restaurant on the previous alignment of Brookpark Road had a 5 ft. high mound just inside the entrance gate. This was approximately 50 yards (48 m) from the angle of Taxiway Zulu, or 75 yds (70 m) from the threshold of Runway 24R (now 24C, soon to be decommissioned to taxiway status.)

This was obviously close enough to feel the heat of most jet engines, and to get considerable blast from anything the size of or larger than a 727. The United DC-10 that was coming in when I first started spotting at that location nearly blew me off the mound a few times.

This was off the airport property, but only about 15 yds from the perimeter fence.

redngold
Up, up and away!

NIKV69

Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:54 am

I am lucky enough at my winter home in Laughlin to be able to get right on top on the runway to spot and photograph at IFP! I hope FlagshipAZ reads this! I will be there soon TOM!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Nicholas A Vollaro

Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

vzlet

Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:03 pm

There's always the thrill of spotting from on the runway:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle

"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

mu2

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:14 am

Go to Rome NY (KRME), they get Omni DC-10 ABX DC-8 and lots of others. The best part about it is it's an uncontrolled field. You could walk out on to the 11000 foot long runway!

KBOS

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:24 am

I bribe my brother with a six pack or two to take his boat out. You can sit right off the end of the runways at Logan. Not as close as you could before 9/11, but it is still pretty darn close. Once I get a nice camera I'll get some good shots......
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

OmShanti

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:37 am

KBOS
I have a small 16' feet boat and I went to do exactly that with my girlfriend but it was a scary episode. I dont know if it was just size of my boat or what, but I had to watch out for the big waves that the other big ships were creating in that area. I didnt get that close, and the whole time we had to cut in and out of waves. Probablly would be better with a bigger boat I guess.

Best Regards

Omshanti

geizistgeil

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:38 am

I can share Indio66´s experience of Denpasar (Bali):
We were at the North-West side of the Airport, Taxiway there is even SO close to the fence of the beach, the wing of taxiing 747 or 777 is right above you. Our hotel was nearby and it took some 20min to get there. But despite of that distance, noise from the airport was really no problem. I highly recommend this beach  Big thumbs up
"If the Wright brothers were alive today. Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs" (H. Kelleher)

adriaticflight

Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:14 am

What about London City Airport? You can get within a few meters of the Runway. But don't expect any 747s Ha ha!

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:46 am

Many years ago at PHL, before the construction of Runway 8-26 there was a spot at the end of Island Ave. located beyond its present terminus with Enterprise Ave. and past the long-since-demolished Strawbridge's warehouse.

There was a good size area at the bend in the road for parking and one was fairly close to see planes land at 27R (and take-off at 9L). Occasionally, one World Airways DC-10 (I'm going back a few years) would take off from 27R; watch out for the jet blast. One had to literally cover their ears when an MD-80 or a non hush-kitted DC9 came in for a landing.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981