ssides

What Will Happen If USAirways Goes Under?

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:12 am

First of all, let me say that I'm NOT wishing for USAirways to go under -- all I am asking is what will happen if they do, in fact, liquidate (as has been predicted several times on this board). What will happen to its Shuttle? DCA slots? Other routes? Aircraft? Employees?

This may be a somber thread, and I'm sorry about that, but to me, it's an intresting subject. I know we don't have any true experts here, so I'd just like to see what people think.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

levg79

RE: What Will Happen If USAirways Goes Under?

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:15 am

They would probably be absorbed by a bigger airline. I would say they'll get absorbed by UA because of their close partnership, but I'm not sure if UA would take such a risk considering their own situation. Just look at what happened to AA when they acquired TW. Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

7e72004

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:16 am

I think that everyone is jumping the gun here...USAirways is not dead yet and i would love for them to survive so everyone else can eat their own words  Smile We will just have to wait and see.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

ssides

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:22 am

7E72004:

I understand your position, and I'm not trying to jump the gun -- I'm just curious as to what will happen IF they do go under. I'll leave the discussion on WHETHER they will go under for another day and thread.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

UAMAYBACH1239

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:25 am

I think thats one of the reasons US Air was made a member at a quicker pace
than maybe some of the other airlines. It is not cheap to join and yet they are now a member during one of the worst downturns in history.

Perhaps LH figured assets could be absorbed by UA better if they were a member.
a/c flown 737-222/322/522 757/747-1-2-4, 767-2-3, 777-2-3, A319-20, DC10-10-30, L1011-3-5, 727-222adv, MD85-90 flyourfri

7e72004

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:34 am

It would be a shame if one of the "majors" was to fall...too many majors have been lost over the years and pretty soon the LCCs will have control...it is like Taco Bell taking over the world  Big grin

L.1011

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:38 am

United is not in a position to acquire US assets. Not only are they still in bankruptcy
(but recovering very well- //// U N I T E D W I L L S T A N D) but they wouldn't want most of the assets. Routes, yes. But the DCA slots aren't all that much use to an airline that has a hub at IAD. Perhaps, UA will acquire LGA and BOS assets and run an IAD-LGA-BOS shuttle and try to cater to the tech businesses around IAD rather than traditional business around DCA. As for DCA, Continental may run a DCA-EWR-BOS shuttle. In that case, there ain't enough room in Skyteam for Delta and Conti.  Big thumbs up Or, it might jetBlue. As for the fleet, the 319/320/321s and 752s have different engines. UA doesn't fly and doesn't want the 734. UA has already sold its own 762s. UA has a huge 772 fleet, the largest in the world (or did SQ pass them?) so the 333s are not welcome. So unless UA wants some more-than-slightly-used 733s, there's nothing at US. However, the US Express carriers will be snapped up by UA real fast to replace ACA. The 733/734 fleet will end up sold in small batches, except for possibly DL, which may snatch some 733s to (temporarily of course, DL isn't smart enough to plan more than a year ahead these days) fix Delta's chronic not-enough-planes-but-keep-retiring-others-anyway-itis. Some 319s and 320s may find their way to NW. The rest will sell overseas. AA and CO are potential 752 customers, HP also a possiblity. The 762s will likely go to the desert of no return with the others, unless CO is willing to revamp some as a stopgap to the 7E7. The 333s will likely be going one place and one place only: NW.

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:43 am

...it is like Taco Bell taking over the world

Yo Quiero Southwest !!!  Big grin

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Cory6188

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:46 am

I wonder if CO would try to acquire US's 762s at a cheap cost then have the interiors refitted with the new 777-style look to match the rest of their fleet. Pax wouldn't know the difference - after all, NW's DC-9's don't look old inside because they have new 717 interiors.

7e72004

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:46 am

PHLBOS..that was funny i have to admit  Big thumbs up

contrails

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 am

I agree completely with 7E72004, US isn't gone yet and with today's Star Alliance announcement they just might squeak by after all. If the worse happened, I would lose 60,000+ miles, which is a big incentive for me to cheer them on (actually, I'm thinking up trips to take this spring and summer, just in case).

As for who would get what in the doomsday scenario, I think AA would grab the DCA-LGA and DCA-BOS slots. Had UA bought US a few years ago this is what had been planned anyway, as I recall. I can see several airlines jumping at the Florida slots, and wouldn't want to bet on who would wind up with what. Who knows what would become of PIT? Would Southwest be interested?

Hopefully we'll never find out the answers to all these questions.

Flying Colors Forever!

gr8slvrflt

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 am

I doubt anyone will take them over. Their planes will end up in the desert until they are sold here and there or scrapped. Other carriers will quickly fill the market void they leave and their employees will move on elsewhere. It has all happened before and will doubtless happen again.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Don Boyd
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

frugalqxnwa

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:00 am

The only asset I see sold as a whole, aircraft and all, is the Shuttle, and I believe the airline in the best position to purchase it would be NW. They already have fairly good operations at DCA, and since they do not have a true hub on the eastern seaboard the shuttle would be a good compliment. The rest of the US assets will be victimized by a feeding frenzy of hungry airline sharks who want to get more marketshare on the east coast. Whatever happens, if US liquidates it will be very fast paced and vicious as to who gets what.

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:04 am

Is it possible for US international operations to divorce itself from its domestic operations (which seems to be where most of its problems lie) that way at least part of the airline could survive?

Any thoughts? Obviously for those making connections to other cities in the USA from PHL's international gateway would have to change airlines.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

UALFAson

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:24 am

I know people who work for US, so, obviously, I hope it doesn't come down to this. But an interesting scenario to think through anyway.

Just my $0.02s...

AA snaps up DCA-LGA-BOS shuttle routes and gets rid of AAEagle RJs.

LGA & DCA slots get re-allocated amongst all airlines, with B6 getting more than a fair share.

BOS becomes a free-for-all, but mostly AA, UA, & DL beef up operations to pick up the slack. AA and maybe NW start/take over international service.

PIT & CLT hubs disappear. Other airlines cautiously add service to their respective hubs from these cities. WN wins BWI for good.

PHL turns into a bloodbath then eventually becomes low-fare mecca. WN pees in its pants with excitement and makes PHL its east coast LAS. FL and F9 both dramatically increase service. European routes get re-routed to...
--UA adds service out of IAD
--AA adds service out of BOS, maybe keeps some PHL
--CO adds service out of EWR
--DL adds service out of JFK/ATL
--NW adds to AMS

Hard to say what happens to Caribbean routes. I'll guess CO and DL will both beef up operations from current respective hubs. B6 will probably make a move as well. Maybe B6 could turn TPA or CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO into a 2nd hub and run Embraers to Caribbean? (Oooo, I like this idea.)

Wow, was this a morbid topic or what? I think I'm going to go take a shower.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

NWAFA

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:27 am

UA is no place or shape to take over/on USAirways. If they did that truly would be the end of United for good.

**IF** US goes under, I think PHL will become a free for-all...More flights to legacy hubs and such...
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

xjramper

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:32 am

and then after all of this happens...NW will sell their DC-9s and aquire B717s.  Big thumbs up

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

jmc1975

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:33 am

It's very likely you will see JetBlue starting service to PHL, PIT and CLT. Also, expect to see America West start service into CLT as well as expand service at PIT.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:49 am

I'm afraid that a lot of smaller cities in the eastern US will lose all airline service....
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

sanscott744

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:12 am

What about The dominance the airline has at Charlotte. With Charlotte being one of the fastest growing cities in the country no thanks in part to USAirways, what will become of the 400-600 + departures out of that airport. There is obviously a market there not just for connecting passengers but I doubt that transcon flights and a few international will be scraped all together if the demise of USAirways happens. I could see them cutting service in half out of Charlotte but altogether? hmmm

airways6max

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:19 am

There will be one less choice for the flying public.

Pittsburgh will probably be virtually abandoned for a while.

There will probably be a real battle over DCA slots.

Another airline, like UA or AA will take over their shuttle.

Some of their aircraft will be bought up by other airlines. Other aircraft will probably end up being scrapped.

Unemployment will go up.

Other airlines will fill the void.

sanscott744

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:20 am

It is sad to see how much they(USAirways)have cut back. Living in San Diego I can tell you that back in the day they used to fly 757's between San Diego and Pittsburgh(3xdaily). Now there is only 1 flight a day between SAN and PIT and it is being flown by an A320 but they are adding a second A320 flight this summer probably just for summer only. Charlotte service is a red eye out of SAN(used to be 2xdaily). The PHL flights are still 3 times daily but aircraft have been downgraded.

EAL757

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:35 am

There was a post earlier joking about NW's DC-9's...some of you joke; some of you don't. ...let's end it once and for all: NW has the right idea...why? b/c these carriers out there that retire MD-11's that are 10 years old or less; or 762's that are 10-15 years old or less...or carriers who've parked 75's or sold them off because they were too old...well, newsflash folks: Northwest is the smart American consumer that doesn't lease cars and doesn't buy them new when it comes to their DC-9's...they put out just enough to keep them running and they're getting their money's worth. And for the record, the DC-9 is a far better plane than most of these new Airbuses...granted, the technology is older, but the DC-9 was one heck of an airplane.

-Jeff

tommy767

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:42 am

This has been discussed numerous times, but I'll make my .002 prediction!

CLT: CO would probably dive into this market, considering they had GSO for a while. Other than that, the hub would just die or DL and AA would add slots. If CLT dies, I would say NC would be weaker for travel demands, and AA would try to build up RDU even more for more convienient connections.

PHL: UA, DL, AA would all try to build up service, but WN would try to make it a hub.

BWI: Of whats left would go to Airtran or Southwest.

PIT: hmmm. What happened to the HP LCC start up there? Any plans for launch?

LGA/BOS/DCA: Good question. AA has been said to be a potential customer for the shuttle market. I think they would operate on MD-80s.

A/c:

EMB-170s: United Express
757s: Considering some are ex-eastern, they would go to HP which currently has a few ex-easterns, or would go straight to the desert. They newly delivered ones would maybe go to any US airline that needs 757s.
762s: A user earlier said CO could pick them up and put 777 interiors on them. That is a good idea, but if that never goes through ($$$), off to the desert with thee.
The various Airbus: Jetblue, United, bunch of carriers could pick them up considering that they are new. Spirit maybe?
737s: Desert.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jetbluefan1

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:52 am

IF US goes under, I think you'll see JetBlue jump on the Shuttle routes. They definitely need to have something attractive like that in their network so they can really become a true "New Yorker" airline. That may be their only chance to launch flights from NYC to DC and BOS. If another airline gets it, then they'll have a hell of a tough time putting a shuttle in place as the markets would be saturated.

PHL would be like BOS, but with a WN. I could imagine WN adding flights to more destinations, F9 increasing service to DEN and LAX, FL adding flights to BOS, Florida, and maybe even to DFW. ATA would probably do some Caribbean, as would JetBlue. DL would probably take over international routes, I would think. But I really do think that there will be A LOT of battles there *IF* US goes under.

PIT would probably have service to JFK from B6, and perhaps some more west coast flights by AA. I can also even see B6 adding a few flights to Florida, but FL is a better candidate.

CLT wouldn't change much either. Same old JetBlue to JFK, ATA with more service to MDW, and perhaps even FL entering the scene. F9 is a good candidate also, but I HIGHLY doubt WN as they have a large amount of flights at nearby RDU.

I change my opinion a lot, but within the last few days I've really come to understand how horrible it is when people lose their jobs. Therefore, I can only hope that US survives and WN gets away from them. They need a miracle, however.

JetBluefan1

NIKV69

Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:25 am

I don't think anybody wants USAirways, too much debt, when they do finally go under their pax will fly WN and B6. Nature of the biz. WN is going to benefit from Philly.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:50 am

UALFAson, Tommy767, and JetBlueFan all describe plausible scenarios. A few additional notes:

--CLT would be an excellent candidate for WN if US shuts down. It's over two hours drive from RDU and has its own strong population base of around 1.5 million. WN flies to both RDU and ORF, no reason they'd avoid CLT. CLT and PIT are both good candidates for BNA-like or STL-like WN focus operations in a world without US Airways.
--One way some US 737's could avoid the desert, I think, is if WN (already a big 733 operator) picks up 733's to start PIT and CLT stations, and hold them over until additional 73G's arrive.

In recent months I've become willing to believe that all three US Airways hubs would disappear if the airline goes Ch. 7. I've long thought NW would try to run a PHL hub, they're weak in the East and they could feed int'l flights there. And there would be no antitrust issues. But with WN entering, NW would probably run something smaller at PHL than what US has now. NW already has one mostly-RJ hub (MEM) and I'm not sure if they'd want another. What do others think?

I'm also not convinced that smaller cities in the East will lose air service. There's a market there now, and there will be in a post-US Airways world. Probably CO will send COX into a bunch of them to feed EWR and/or CLE, and UA will probably send UAX into some to feed IAD.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

ltbewr

Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:10 pm

If - IF this happens, then I tend to agree with some mix of the legacy and LLC's cherry picking the best routes, and splitting up the regional companies. I could see AA taking over the shuttle, due to their already significant presence at LGA/DCA/BOS. DL will probably go after the Florida and Charlotte markets, AA, DL and others splitting up the Carribbean markets. NW will probably go for some of the international slots, splitting with DL. DL would probably then add service in and out of Challotte, Phily, Atlanta & NY area, NW out of BOS. Some cities will be badly hurt like PIT, and especially upstate NY state, minor markets in mid-south, possibly losing much of their mainline service. CO would probably add to the Ohio and mid-south markets and thorugh COX, serve some of the smaller cities in the northeast, New England, upstate NYS, PIT to EWR. UA may go for the transcon and long haul services to IAD.

ordpark

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:07 pm

If USAir goes under, thousands of dedicated, hardworking employees will lose thier jobs.....!

everything else is secondary......

BOSugaDL

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:36 pm

Well not to get to much into politics too much here, I can see some big time ramifications in the presidential race from all this. Penn. is a huge swing state in the upcoming U.S. Presidential Election. Now if ten's of thousands of US Airways employees at PIT and PHL are out of jobs they will probably look for a change from the administration they lost their jobs under.

Now I don't mean to open a can of worms here. I'm just throwing out a non biased hypothetical here. Lets not make this into a Bush v Kerry thing, that is not my intention at all. And I'm not getting off topic...This is a scenario of USair's possibly collapse.

And to make my post aviation related...When are NW's DC-9's going to go..JUST KIDDING

NIKV69

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:51 pm

Ordpark,

Thousands of people lose their jobs, due to downsizing, bad management and competition. It's life, deal with it.

USAirways will eventually lose out to WN and B6. Though I would not like to see it, at this point it's tough to avoid.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

UNITED777ORD

Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:00 pm

Hopefully, United will takeover Charlotte if USAirways does not survive. CLT will compliment United's route network with a hub in the South.

sanscott744

Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:16 pm

BOSugaDL I doubt that if there are any USAir employees that are George Bush fans that they will swing over to the left to vote for Kerry if they loose there jobs. I hope the American public in general is much smarter than that. Who knows maybe I am wrong....That could be a scary thought. I say this as a Kerry supporter.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:43 pm

Hopefully, United will takeover Charlotte if USAirways does not survive. CLT will compliment United's route network with a hub in the South.

A UA takeover at Charlotte seems to me very unlikely. A CLT hub would compete with the IAD hub which is only a few hundred miles north. IAD's catchment-area population base is also much larger than Charlotte's and supports lots of yummy higher-yield international flights that UA wants to feed. UA will probably make a pitch to draw both CLT-feed pax and PIT-feed pax at IAD, where they already have a substantial infrastructure in place.

And given that a lot of lost US seat capacity would probably stay lost as part of the general restructuring of the industry towards more LCC capacity, this would be a smart strategy on UA's part. The LCC's would get enough of US's traffic to not make it worthwhile for any network carrier to run either a CLT or PIT hub.

Jim

RayChuang

Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:55 pm

If American Airlines does take over the Northeast Shuttle route, you can forget about AA assigning their Super 80 fleet to this route, mostly for noise abatement reasons (the MD-80 series planes aren't exactly quiet on takeoff roll).

I wouldn't be surprised that AA takes over the entire former US 737 fleet and have them rebuilt to AA standards on D-check overhauls before assigning them to the Shuttle route.

By the way, don't forget the specter of the Virgin USA operation. Virgin USA could take over most of the former US Airways Airbus A320 Family fleet and use them to start this LCC operation.

uadc8contrail

Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:33 pm

if his "customer"goes under then you can bet that jon ornstein will try to get in the mix as he just pulled a retired co 733 out of gyr, maybe he is try to get something going already.......
bus driver.......move that bus:)

ordpark

Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:03 am

NIKV69 -

what an incredably callous thing to say!!!

I didn't realize that "GOLF PROS" were that insightful......

DIA

Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:36 am

Regarding a possible UA takeover of USAirways:

It is not likely UA would keep the A330s. But it is likely they would run them for a bit of time at least. This happens almost every time an airline gets taken over. Remember the UA L1011-500s? The UA 747SPs? (And these examples are just with UA) We would probably see the A330s with interim colors. . .and possibly just a big "United" painted across the title bar. So with a UA takeover. . .we will see something along these lines.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

GSPSPOT

Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:43 am

There are quite a few Carolinas cities, that while not huge markets, have 20-30 flights/day from US. What happens to them??
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:54 am

Regarding a possible UA takeover of USAirways

DIA,

Not going to happen. Keep in mind that UA is STILL in Chapter 11.

They may aquire some equipment and routes only AFTER US ceases operations; should that happen.

[Edited 2004-04-27 18:56:22]

UNITED777ORD

Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:05 am

Is it likely that United will acquire the USAirways Shuttle routes if USAirways goes out of business?

caetravlr

Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:06 am

I, like most people on this board, don't think that anyone would want to "take over" US Airways stands now. They have a very inefficient route network that would provide few synergies with any other carrier's system. That being said, there will be some routes and slots that would be very much worth having to other carriers.

I am as curious as anyone else about what would happen at CLT. I would love to see a UA ramp up there. Maybe it will bring in a mix of carriers that would make it worthwhile to me to make an occasional spotting trip there. Not that spotting has anything to do with it, but it could open up lots of options for those of us in the southeast. The flights to and from the other airline's hubs and the equipment used would definitely be upgraded in the short term.

And that picture of Eastern's fleet at MIA was just eerie. All of those aircraft sitting there, no people in the picture, nothing moving. Like an airline ghost town. I really don't want to see that again.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

ultrapig

Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:17 am

USAIR has nothing to take over. It has a brand name which is much maligned. It has some gates with a small amount of value especially at DCA and LGA-. It has some DCA and LGA slots. No sane competitor would take them over and get embroiled in a fight with the old employees as to whether the acquirier was a successor. Those days are over. One day in the next 24 months they will stop flying. People with tickets bought on cc will get refunds. The secured creditors will liquidate probably in Chapter 11 and there will be a few cents on the dollar for unsecured creditors and nothing for shareholders. The planes will either as said above be sold, released or parked. -Oh I forgot USAIR has a few international routes than might bring a buck or two-but only to the secured creditors. I don't know if USAIR has bad management-but I do know its cost per mile is obviously too high for it to succeed or be sold as a going business in part or in full.

What am I missing-I'm not talking about what should happen or why the employees are being screwed just about what obviously will happen why am I wrong?

DIA

Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:20 am

"DIA,

Not going to happen. Keep in mind that UA is STILL in Chapter 11."

I agree. But that wasn't my point. I'm simply using the example for most airline takeovers. Not all though.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

elwood64151

Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:16 am

Parts of USAir would be purchased by other airlines to cover the debts they leave behind, and unfortunately all the other airlines will start making money, stopping them for making the necessary changes to keep them profitable in the next industry downturn.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

DCA-ROCguy

Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:47 am

There are quite a few Carolinas cities, that while not huge markets, have 20-30 flights/day from US. What happens to them??

As I said above, combination of other carriers will probably absorb viable market share. In the Carolinas, you'd probably see DL absorb a bunch of US market share into ATL, and UA absorb a bunch of US market share into IAD. And if Independence Air turns out to be a viable idea, they would probably have a certain amount of market share too.

No one would lose viable air service as a result of a US shutdown. It would simply wear different colors, go through different hubs, and in some markets have a different share of LCC vs. network distribution.

Jim

Bobs89irocz

Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:57 am

May God bless that airline. I know several employees of USAir and i pray they dont get the shaft. It would be a sad day IF this ever happens.

The employees i dont think could go anywhere since the industry sucks. The pilots would either be on the street or flying for Air Wisconsin (not literally but some sort of commuter). FA's, same boat as pilots. Mx people.....There screwed. Everyone else who knows.

Fleet-

A330- Im sure those would be taken up really quick by Cathay, or some other foreign airline.

767- Either Co or to the desert with no hope.

757- MAYBE get picked up by some sort of small airline who knows otherwise there off to the desert

737- DESERT....there done

A319-A321- They will be picked up by an airline really quick.

Routes-

SW, Jetblue, UA, AA, DL will be like peronas in a fish tank going after fresh meat.