Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PA120
Topic Author

Why Don`t VS Join Star?

Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:40 pm

As a great fan of VS and it`s founder Sir Richard Branson, I would like to see VS in the STAR Alliance, so I can get my FF miles when I fly VS to LAS when visiting family... Seems they already codeshare with a number of Star carriers and SQ owns 49% of VS. Wouldn`t it be better for VS to join the alliance to compete more with BA?

RE: Why Don`t VS Join Star?

Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:55 pm

I totally agree with you PA120. When I want to use my Flying Club reward ticket. I have no option but to fly on VS ONLY from SFO-LHR rt. That really is boring as I am tried of flying VS and would prefer to fly other carriers like SQ or Bmi longhaul. All they have is DL, CO, and VS and for long hual. And all of them are boring  Yawn

INNflight

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:03 pm

Maybe STAR is not really interested into VS because there's already BMI in the alliance...  Insane
Would 2 airlines of the same country with almost the same hubs make sense?

regards, Florian

keno

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:11 pm

Although both VS and BD share the same hub in LHR, their products are very different. Hence both would be a great asset to an alliance like Star. VS is primarily a long haul carrier while BD serves *mainly* europe and the UK.

willo

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:17 pm

How come you are "bored" with VS when on your other thread you claim you haven't flown with them? Please be consistent!

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1536419

[Edited 2004-04-28 13:17:58]

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:19 pm

Me and my dad use the same user ID that's why.
Regards,
Chris

PA120
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:47 pm

Bmi and VS does not fly the same routes and I think they could do great things together!

744; If you`re bored with VS, why don`t you join another FF program? As for me, I can`t even join because I am not a resident of the UK or the US...

chinaeastern

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:02 pm

yeh, it seems that Krisflyer of SQ would suite u better as all star carriers plus VS, DL are all eligible for getting miles

UALFAson

Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:15 am

Don't forget that VS is one of only 4 airlines allowed to fly b/t the US & Heathrow. Should they join *A, they'd be directly competing with UA on flights b/t LHR and JFK, IAD, ORD, LAX, etc. UA would never allow that.

Plus there's nothing really to be gained by adding VS. Most of VS's destinations in Africa and Asia can be reached via connections in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA on LH.

panamair

Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:42 am

VS and EK will be the holdouts in the airline alliance game...Branson's ego will not allow him to 'hook up' with an alliance as large as Star - it would dilute the VS brand (especially considering how big Star has gotten and will continue to get)...As long as VS maintains its innovation, superb inflight svc, etc., its go-it-alone attitude is viable. Besides, VS and SQ aren't exactly the best of friends despite the 49% stake...VS really took SQ for a ride on that one - what has SQ gotten out of that relationship so far? Branson got the cash but still calls ALL the shots wrt VS...

EddieDude

Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:15 am

they'd be directly competing with UA on flights b/t LHR and JFK, IAD, ORD, LAX, etc.

Competing or cooperating? When MX was in UA, it did not so much compete with UA in the MEx-ORD and MEx-LAX routes, but rather cooperated. LH and UA do not compete in IAD-FRa or ORD-FRa... they cooperate. With VS in Star, UA would be able to sell seats in VS flights and viceversa.

Anyway, I do not see VS joining Star. There is already one U.K. carrier, which is BD and, most important, VS has made it clear that it will stay out of alliances.

FA4UA

Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:18 am

it is odd how Virging Blue and UA are marketing partners. I know it's not VS but it's the same family.

I think BD is a better option overall for our star partner in the UK. They cover their own country well and medium haul in Europe. If VS joined, they and LH would have a few overlaps with all their long-haul flying.

Who has more marketshare: Star Alliance or One World at LHR? Star has 14/15 partners flying there, but One World has BA hubbed there. Any numbers out there?

iowa744fan

Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:33 am

Can anyone tell me if the whole VS and BMI hookup ever became more than just a rumor? Did the two actually meet and discuss options, or was it just a rumor that they should join. Personally, I think that the two cooperating would be a good idea. With their different products (long haul vs. short haul), it would definitely be a chance to feed passengers to the other and help to compete with BA.

However, I do want to say that I don't know a great deal about connecting traffic levels in London, so perhaps they are low and this would not help.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos