Matterhorn
Topic Author

Booking And Codeshare

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:49 am

three day ago, i booked online on KLM website a trip ZRH-AMS-NBO and back with KL. i was very astonished that KL offers twice daily AMS-NBO, one in the morning, one at night.
i chose the overnight flight. so far so good. after the booking, i went to amadeus.net to check what kind of aircraft KL is using. for my surprise, amadeus stated that the evening flight was a codeshareflight with kenya airways. during the online booking procedure, not a single word indicated that this particular flight was a codeshare!!
in my point of view, it's rather a scandal that KL offers codeshare flights as their own without any indication that this is a codeshare flight. i don't have any problems with kenyaairways, i heard mostly positive things about them and they have good equipment (B-767-300) and a good safety record, but other people might get suspicious and would not like to fly with this carrier.
so my question is: isnt it KL's obligation to explicitly announce during the booking procedure that this flight is a codeshare? how are other carriers handle this issue? i know that LX does this everytime.
would it even be possible to cancel the booking and get a full refund?
Last Flight: BSL-AMS on EZY, Next Flight: ZRH-LHR on LX

goingboeing

RE: Booking And Codeshare

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:02 am

I don't know about Europe, but I believe in the US, airlines have to specify that it is "operated by" somewhere. But I do agree, most passengers who book an airline pretty much assume that they will be flying on that airline. Only airline geeks can pick up the flight number difference that usually identifies a code share.

RB211LTN

RE: Booking And Codeshare

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:05 am

I don't think you could cancel and get a refund unless you have paid for a ticket that gives you the right to do that. I would need to look at the KLM website to see if they tell you about the codeshare. The BA website tells you clearly about codeshares and who will operate the flight you have booked.
I've heard that KQ's service is really poor so I would advise flying KLM if possible.
Why are you going to NBO? I used to go there and it's a filthy dump of a place. We used to call it Nairobbery! Avoid if possible.

The customer is always right.....unless he is a passenger!

Matterhorn
Topic Author

Booking And Codeshare

Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:07 am

@RB211LTN
i booked this flight on behalf of my daddy. he has to do business there. i will fly to NBO in mid-july but we will fly LX then and we will use NBO just as gateway without intention to stay there for long.
hope that KQ is not too bad as it is not possible to switch to an KL flight

anyway, i was surprised as well that they dindnt indicate this codeshare thing. according to what you guys say it seems, that most airline actually do indicate codeshare. i wonder why KL is not doing this
Last Flight: BSL-AMS on EZY, Next Flight: ZRH-LHR on LX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos