HOMER71

Career At CO Socc

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:16 am

Anyone who works at Continental's System Operations Control Center, how do you get to be a flight dispatcher? What kind of background/experience do they require (work, degree, etc.) and what kind of training do they provide?

Just wondering, I've always found that aspect of airline ops very interesting...thanks!
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

OPNLguy

RE: Career At CO Socc

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:02 am

I don't, but I know several people who do, one of which teaches for the ADX certificate.

Email me for details...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

A340Spotter

Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:33 am

Homer,

As far as getting to be a flight dispatcher, you first need to go through a dispatcher course, be it at Sheffield/FLL, AFDTC/DFW, etc., and get your license upon completion.

Getting into CO's SOCC as a flight dispatcher, you need to have at least 1 year of experience with COEX as a dispatcher, or 2 years as a dispatcher with another company. Also, if you're a current CO employee, you are also eligible for a transfer in if you hold a dispatcher license and do well at the interview. Degree not required, but it helps.

Once into the SOCC as a dispatcher, at least pre 9-11, you start off as an assistant dispatcher, spend anywhere from 1 week to 18 months depending on expansion/openings, etc., dispatching the mx test flights, entering notams and helping with the daily schedule within the office amongst other duties.
When an opening occurs, you begin likely as a relief domestic dispatcher and eventually after a full year of dispatching domestically, you're eligible for international dispatch.

Hope that helps
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

HOMER71

Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info!
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."