Francoflier
Topic Author

Missile Detector On Liners...

Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:42 am

Hi,

I know it's been talked about a lot, but since it just became "official", I just wondered how much more the airlines can cope with...

We are talking about delicate, expensive equipment, that will probably never (Let's hope...) be of any use on board a jet. Plus, and unless it comes with some kind of jamming device, chaffs or flares, (it might, I'm not sure), even such equipment would hardly help a liner being fired at with a SAM.

It is difficult to imagine a wide body pulling a 5 G's evasive maneuver...

So after the bulletproof doors, the armed-to-the-teeth-commando-pilots, the onboard cops, this paranoid device of debatable use builds yet another hurdle on the airline's path to rentability...
That goes without mentioning, but the ticket fare will inevitably rise...

I personally believe all that money should be spent on intelligence, which remains the only efficient weapon against terrorism.
But that's just me.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

RE: Missile Detector On Liners...

Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:57 am

What do you mean " it just became official "? Haven't heard anything about it.

Edit: I meant, are there any news on the subject? Please share it with us!

[Edited 2004-04-30 00:21:13]

PW100

Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:17 am

It's an utterly useless waste of money to install missile detectors/jammers on airliners when they are sitting ducks for very cheap and widely spread rocket propelled granates . . . .

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

airbus3801

Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:22 am

I know that EL AL and I believe Arkia already have missle detectors board their aircraft.

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:24 am

It is difficult to imagine a wide body pulling a 5 G's evasive maneuver...

At high altitude you would be very suprised, but on final approach, neither a fighter or a cargo plane or an airliner has much room to manuver.

And, really, what are the odds that the airplane couldn't limp in after being struck with a SAM? The DHL pilots seem to know their stuff....