Qantasclub
Topic Author

Who Makes The Best Inflight Announcements?

Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:59 am

Having just returned from a round the world trip, I have taken note of inflight announcements on several airlines. You can get a feel for the culture of an airline by observing their inflight announcements; BA was by far the best with the most consistently informative, well spoken, polite and efficient announcements and definitely for me, gave the impression of a very swithced on crew. Qantas varied, but was rather casual which is rather Australian anyway. I think the Captiain should always address passengers at least once during a flight and on our LHR-SIN sector, he didn't. Southwest airlines was interesting, as their flt attendent was clearly trying to put on a comedy routine, with a perky voice and lots of borderline-inappropriate comments like "we've now reached the gate, get out!" with giggles, etc in between. I know for a fact that a few other LCCs do this-Virgin Blue in Australia and others.
On the other hand, some airlines like SQ and CX run like clockwork and their announcements rarely contain anything spontaineous, as if they are read straight out from a manuel.
what do people think.

Long Haul is the only way to go

thaigold

RE: Who Makes The Best Inflight Announcements?

Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 am

Not sure about the best announcement but I'm sick of the DJ "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls". Pretty cute maybe once in a flight but every single time is really annoying..... With all the smart, funny and young people at DJ they should be able to come up with some thing different.

Just my $0.02
Dunbar Rovers forever

sq452

Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:08 am

SQ reads straight out of the manual, i've watched the lead FA do it.

Also noticed that their safety video as the FA is inflating her life jacket she has an ENORMOUS smile on her face, making it look like "hey the plane just crashed, its probably on fire and we're about to jump out into the water, Whipppeeeeeeeee!"  Nuts

LH wasn't bad. Most U.S. carriers, the flight attendants use spontaneity

Funny story though, I was on a CRJ-70 passenger jet 2 days ago from ATL to ABE (Allentown, PA) and these planes have 2 FA's and they had a ball.

I also took Song down to RSW and the FA's came on a few times too and had witty sayings, here's a sample:

on Song:

"Sorry, but we have run out of chocolate bars from the menu, which is ok, because then your kids won't get hyper"

on the CRJ (comair)

"Please take your personal belongings with you, anything left behind will be split evenly between me and my colleague"

"If you have any questions you can speak to only me and ignore the other flight attendant at the back of the plane"

somewhat funny but not really very professional.
SIN > CVG > BOS

musapapaya

Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:34 am

what do you think is good? it may differ a lot but i bet most of the people are professional?
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

laspilot737

Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:40 am

I dont know if it was just me, but whenever I fly SWA they seem to always sing this hideous takeoff song and it sucks. But, what do you expect on Southwest?

kevin752

Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:28 pm

Well, I have flown SWA and the announcements were very normal but the F/A had a texan accent and it made me think this is totally Southwest right here.
I liked Lufthansa because it is not read from a book but it is professional and informative. Plus I like the German English Accent that they have. Also, I love Lufthansa MUCH!!! Expecailly the crane in the Circle it makes me feel so safe to fly and be on the plane and also the f/a's are really nice and helpful. I love you Lufthansa!!! Lufthansa I will be on your LH457 LAX - AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA and LH451 AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA -LAX.
kevin752
"Keep Climbing"

navega

Sat May 01, 2004 1:11 am

Definately,

Mexicana

I have flown almost all major world airlines and Mexicana has great,
pre recorded announcements for everything from delays, remote positions,
etc.

They even have them in French for Canadian destinations.

Of the spoken announcements I would have to say BA and VS.

EZYcrew

Sat May 01, 2004 1:26 am

At LX (ex-Crossair), we had to learn all announcements by heart in 4 languages (German, French, Italian and English) and I must say that we do them pretty well.
Especially compared to IB or AZ where you don't understand a single word they're saying in English.

chinaeastern

Sat May 01, 2004 1:31 am

SQ452:
i've really got same sort of impression as u do on the SQ safety video. but SQ gives me a less strong impression than in the safety video of Air China, as the FA was not only having a big smile on face, but also blew up the life jacket extremely slow as if she was telling us that she was really enjoying it. By the way, how was the flight SQ452? as i'm flying to MLE next month on that flight number.

For the flights i've been on, i prefer the inflight announcement of Air New Zealand as it is casual and informative. QF is just as good but varies on different flights.

airfrancejfk

Sat May 01, 2004 1:40 am

Believe it or not guys, I found Air Jamaica to give the best in flight announcemnts of all the airlines I've flown. Whats most impressive is that when they're about to land, they usually give you a 2 minute introduction about the country, whether it be Jamaica, Barbados or Grenada, now thats cool!

ILUV767

Sat May 01, 2004 2:09 am

I think it really depends on the crew.

I L U V 7 6 7

geoffm

Sat May 01, 2004 5:39 am

I found QF to be variable too. LHR to SIN last month was just a pain. SHUT UP! This attendant loved the sound of his own voice. He made no less than FOUR seperate announcements just during the serving of dinner to tell people how serving was going, and why they were doing it the way they were doing it. Mercifully he shut up during the night, but as soon as morning arrived he was making announcements 2-3 times per hour. "Now, guys. I just wanted you to know...." - "Hey guys?" - in a patronising voice too.

However, the return journey (from BKK) was much more civilised with the bare minimum of announcements to keep us informed and nothing more - bliss!

EasyJet - you don't expect much, but they are pretty standardised and tolerable.

I like the announcements from the cockpit - route, weather, operational bits and pieces, unusual sights (Concorde while approaching BRS, overtaking a plane over the Atlantic a couple of thousand feet below), etc.

Geoff M.

FLIBOYZ

Sat May 01, 2004 5:45 am

Aloha Airlines. Nice and relaxing with a sense of the Islands. Also they give you Island information while passing a particular one. For example Maui. And when I flew them from OAK-HNL-OAK in March, they had a video with information about OAK and HNL prior to landing. Professional yet relaxed attitude.

GO AQ.

Shamrock_747

Sat May 01, 2004 5:52 am

"Good Evening and welcome onboard British Airways Concorde Golf-Bravo-Oscar-Alpha-Charlie and flight Speedbird Concorde One supersonic service to New York Kennedy."

'nuff said!

F9Fan

Sat May 01, 2004 3:17 pm

I heard a good one just after the safety dance on a F9 flight from DEN to LAS (or "Lost Wages" as the flight attendant insisted calling it, which is cute once but got tiring real fast). She said, "Thank you for flying Frontier Airlines, it sure would be a bummer to do this alone." Actually, that flight had the most hyped up passengers I've ever seen on any flight. As we started our takeoff roll, three ladies in the row behind me started chanting, "Vegas! Vegas! Vegas!"  Nuts

F9Fan

nudelhirsch

Sat May 01, 2004 7:02 pm

Not too special, but on a flight with Skyways in Sweden, on a little Saab 340, we were the only 2 non-Swedish pax. The FA held her speach in Swedish, then we got our extra announcement, especially for us...
Not too exciting or so, but somewhat cool, to get an extra announcement...
She also was extremely friendly to us, we were treated more like guests in a home, than just normal pax.
the trip to Sweden way great anyways, so...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

United Airline

Sat May 01, 2004 7:16 pm

UA. Very informative.

vatveng

Sat May 01, 2004 7:52 pm

AirTran flight from DEN-ATL, got on the plane, pushed back, engines spooled up, sit and wait, sit and wait, sit and wait, sit and wait, then Capt. announces why we're sitting... stall warning computer not playing nice with the rest of the plane. As an IT person myself, his announcement was kind of funny and served to explain exactly what was going on, but a couple of non-computer-savvy pax were nervous after he said the following:

"You know how on your computer at home you get the Blue Screen Of Death? Well, that's basically what I'm looking at up here."

Most of us got what he was saying, one of his computers had frozen and we needed to go back to the gate to "reboot" the airplane. But my dad, who uses a computer at work but is an old-school, change-is-bad, why-aren't-we-on-Delta? kind of person, turned and gave me a really evil look like I broke the stall warning computer.

sq452

Sat May 01, 2004 8:10 pm

Chinaeastern:

The flight to Male is great. I consider that place just amazing, so relaxing! MLE is a great little airport too, quite interesting.

I took the flight when it was still on the A310's, but not with the 777's. Gets pretty bumpy sometimes though going across the Indian Ocean.

Have fun though  Smile
SIN > CVG > BOS

EAL757

Sat May 01, 2004 9:32 pm

there was a comment earlier about Song and some of it's inflight announcements and how they were funny but not professional. Do you think people can be professionally funny? Personally, I do. I'd rather have a comedian than a stoic gargoyle.

I flew on the old Valu-Jet (now AirTran) a few years ago...they were great...haven't flown AirTran in a while so I'm not sure if it's still the same, but these guys were hilarious. They had contests and jokes and all kinds of stuff. I enjoyed that flight alot!

-Jeff

svenvdm

Sun May 02, 2004 2:26 am

I've flown a lot in the last 25 years. But recently one airline comes to mind in this category: Germanwings. The pre-recorded announcements are flawless anyway and the spoken announcements are very thorough, professional, courteous and detailed.

airbus3801

Sun May 02, 2004 2:29 am

BA's are very informative and always are easy to understand. On their long international flights (and maybe the shorter ones too) they show a movie on how to fill out your customs decleration card and then make a second announcement in even more detail

airbear

Who Makes The Best Inflight Announcments?

Sun May 02, 2004 2:43 pm

Virgin Blue's announcments were cute and refreshing when they first began, back in 2000/01. But the same jokes and innuendos are getting very stale.

QF announcments are very matter-of-fact, but coming home from ADL last Friday afternoon, the female F/O made all the from-the-flightdeck PA's, and I would love to know what was happening on the flightdeck, because during her pre-descent spiel, you could hear in the voice, the difficulty she was having in not starting to laugh! Many of the pax were looking at one another.

mel

Sun May 02, 2004 4:47 pm

Speedbird's announcements are by far the best.
NO URLS in signature

flylondon

Mon May 03, 2004 1:11 am

I noticed this more than once while waiting to fly back to London in the BA terminal at JFK. BA always have the same British woman doing the boarding announcements for the evening flights. Her announcements are in an impeccable accent and always incredibly polite and professional. Compare this to the United annoucements with whom the terminal is shared with where the staff practically shout into the microphone in a horrible drawl to demand a passenger come to the desk.

aviationwiz

Mon May 03, 2004 2:22 am

SQ452,

now that is very funny indeed! I wish I would have been on that flight,  Laugh out loud
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

skymileman

Mon May 03, 2004 2:25 am

One that will always stick in my head was in 1998, on an Alaska Airlines 737-400 between Seattle and San Jose, the flight attendant got to the part about the oxygen masks and said, "If you are traveling with a small child or someone who is acting like a small child..." I'll never forget that one, but there were other jokes in that announcement, too.

gigneil

Mon May 03, 2004 2:37 am

Southwest does.

N

COAB767

Mon May 03, 2004 3:48 am

CO has some good inflight announcements.

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen welcome aboard Continental Airlines flight 50 with non-stop service to Newark. My name is so and so and I will be your purser on today's flight. I have 9 other attendants assisting me on today's flight. Our flight is under the command of captain so and so and first officer so and so. You may continue to use your approved portable electronic devices while the aircraft is parked at the gate and the boarding door is open.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos