koopas

Aircraft Junkyard & Random Questions

Mon Feb 07, 2000 1:33 pm

Hey All:

I was planning a trip to Tucson to see that huge airplane junkyard...I think it's called Evergreen. Can somebody give me more info? How about other junkyards?

As far as random questions:

-Has it ever been recorded than a commercial airliner's wing separated?

-In case of a total engine loss and a failed restart, can a modern jet glide to a rough but survivable landing? I can see a Cessna glide and touchdown slowly but a 747-400 ... i just see it falling from the skies.

-Bringing up the question of oxygen masks in the cabin again, what is their usefulness if 02 cannot be absorbed at high altitudes in case of depressurization AND in the absence of an emergency descent (i.e. pilots are dead and aircraft is on AP at a constant FL 350)?

That's it for now folks.

Thanks!
Alex

TWA717_200

Evergreen

Mon Feb 07, 2000 2:01 pm

I lived in Tucson most of my adult life. Getting into Pinal (Evergreen) can be tricky. I used to think that it couldn't be done. However, I ran into an A&P that works there and he said that tours ARE conducted from time to time. unfortunately, I didn't find out about this until I was lilterally on my way out of Tucson, so I can't tell you anything about it.

Most of the aircraft are easily visible from I-10, the highway running north and south about 3 miles East of Pinal.

I used to correspond with a person that kept an active list of aircraft stored in Marana (and elsewhere). Check out the web page here:

http://www.azstarnet.com/~chisox/mzj-99.htm

You cannot land at Pinal, but I understand that you can T & G. You may be able to go to Avra Valley airport (just south of Pinal) and hire a Cessna to do this for you.

I wish I could help more...

koopas

RE: Aircraft Junkyard & Random Questions

Tue Feb 08, 2000 11:21 am

Hello everybody,

I did see a while ago some pages about Evergreen but I don't recall the address. I even believe Evergreen has an official homepage. Maybe others can jump in and help? I am planning a trip there very soon (before the summer heat).

Thanks for your time!
Alex

RE: Aircraft Junkyard & Random Questions

Tue Feb 08, 2000 9:17 pm

How about the military boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB outside of Tuson AZ.