jhooper

Trusted Traveler Card

Sun May 02, 2004 10:23 am

Is TSA still floating around the idea of a "Trusted Traveler Card"? I'm not sure I understand the point of this card, if it is implemented. Such a card won't allow someone to bypass security, so what's the added benefit for the traveler? By the way, I don't think I've been a "selectee" since 2002 when they were doing secondary screening at the gates. Well, actually one time I was but TSA never looked at my boarding pass, so they wouldn't have ever known I was a selectee anyway.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

ltbewr

RE: Trusted Traveler Card

Sun May 02, 2004 10:34 am

This idea is still being considered, but there are serious questions being raised by security professionals. A news article I read (on MSNBC website?) earlier this year, with an interview by a security professional noted some possible serious problems with this proposal. The most critical one included that 'clean' US citizens whom supported a cause could qualify for a TT Cards and then after a few flights on their own, setting up a situation where would be sure of not being subject to extra checks on future flights, then several would board a given flight or several groups of several given flights, sneaking in equipment or a bomb (in ways we won't discuss here) to do a act of terror. There is also the idea of those above high scrutinty like all of the great most of us is discriminatory and against our ideas.