AeroAussie
Topic Author

CX Economy Seating

Sun May 02, 2004 11:35 am

Has anybody noticed the inconsistency of Economy seating on CX? Seems that each aircraft in the fleet has a different seat model. Even those that are delivered new, are delivered with different seats. From what I can tell, most carriers are at least consistent with their longhaul fleets, yet not CX. Take a look... A330 is different from 747; 747 different from 777, etc etc.

A330:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Finney

A340-600:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Hamer

777:
View Large View Medium

Photo © K.H. Ng

747:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Murray

Anybody know the reason behind the madness?

-Nick

alexchao

RE: CX Economy Seating

Sun May 02, 2004 12:28 pm

Well, I can only think of one reason. CX is too quick at improving their product that they can't change the entire fleet to the new product overnight.

vxg

Sun May 02, 2004 12:45 pm

I think its done somewhat on purpose since the seat model seems to be consistent within a single fleet type. CX is not generous with seat pitch (regardless of fleet), but seat on the 747-400 fleet is the better of the lot - the lap moves forward and up when you recline and I can easily place me feet on the footrest without my knees hitting the seat in front. Worst: on the 777 fleet they don't have footrests and the PTV units are very inconveniently located. I'm only 5'11" mind you.

oxygen

Sun May 02, 2004 1:19 pm

Well, the A330 seats shown above are the oldest seats in the fleet- the 747 classics used to have them too (don't know about the 747-400s). Those seats are very squared, and there are no adjustable 'wings', just a piece of headrest with the height adjustable. There are footrests.

Then came the 777 seats, which is very very tall. The PTVs were placed so high that I had to raise my head a little in order to see it. Very inconvenient and makes my neck sore. Still with fixed 'wings' and an adjustable headrest. There used to be footrests but I don't understand why they aren't there anymore.

After that the 747-400 seats came along. These seats have adjustble 'wings' and footrests. However, I find those seats way too hard. Feels like a wooden seat.

The A340-600 seat is the newest product. The newly delivered 777-300s have those seats too, although the PTV is smaller on the 777-300. Here's a link to the photo on the other site:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=176724

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos