jran225

Do Aircraft Still Carry EA Registration Numbers?

Mon May 03, 2004 12:25 am

Hey guys,

just a little question that I had. Yesterday I saw Champion Air 722 (N817EA) at KDCA. I have noticed that many 727s still carry registration numbers ending with EA. Does this mean that they previously belonged to Eastern Airlines and if so, why weren't they re-registered?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

Regards,
-Omar S.
Never tell your girlfriend about all the 'action' you're getting at the airport - only photogs understand that.

JPZ1991

RE: Do Aircraft Still Carry EA Registration Numbers?

Mon May 03, 2004 12:28 am

Just did a search of N817EA, looks like it was with Eastern and Northwest too.

trident2e

Mon May 03, 2004 12:31 am

The registration mark doesn't belong to the airline - it's simply the identification mark that is applied to an aircraft. Whilst some airlines will re-register airraft when they buy them there is no legal requirement for them to do so. The registration mark is simply assigned to the new owner.

srbmod

Mon May 03, 2004 12:39 am

Sometimes, an airline needs an a/c in service ASAP, and instead of reregistering an a/c, they just transfer the a/c's current registration to the new operator. Or in some cases, they're too cheap to reregister and put a new registration on the a/c. Delta had a few 727s that still had their Eastern registration, and they right now have four ex-TZ 757s that still retain their old TZ registrations. Northwest still has a/c that retain their original Republic, North Central or Southern registrations. US Airways had a number of DC-9s that still had their Allegheny registration (the old Vista Jet registrations ending in VJ).

gr8slvrflt

Mon May 03, 2004 12:45 am

Yep. Northwest apparently does not re-register used aircraft. Their DC-9-30s registered N8900E-N8990E are all ex-Eastern. The DC-9-50s have a N401EA-N421EA series. Beware, however, a DC-9-10 or -30 with a registration ending in EA is NOT former Eastern (many are former Emerald). Many charter outfits do not re-register either and there are many ex-EA 727s still with Eastern numbers (N88XXE or N8XXEA).
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

jran225

Mon May 03, 2004 12:45 am

Thanks for all the info guys! Smile
Never tell your girlfriend about all the 'action' you're getting at the airport - only photogs understand that.

MxCtrlr

Mon May 03, 2004 1:45 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Pries - A.T. TEAM
View Large View Medium

Photo © Aric Thalman

Aircraft Number: N808EA

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos