zrs70

What Do You Do While Waiting In Airport Lines?

Mon May 03, 2004 5:30 am

What do you do when you are in long lines for check in, screening, customs, etc?

I simply pull out my palm pilot and play solitaire. Makes the time go by fast. Others?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

soaringadi

RE: What Do You Do While Waiting In Airport Lines?

Mon May 03, 2004 5:35 am

when I'm travelling, i always have someone with me.... i.e. friends, girlfriend, family etc. etc. So whenever it's a huge line, usually they wait in lines since they are not interested in aviation, and I tour the arprt. trying to find spots for spotting or (in case of Changi...) shopping etc.... And if i was alone, I simply would wait for the line to get shorter, and till that time obviously.... roam and do the usual things..... Man I love being at the airport !!!

enjoy  Smile
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

COEWRNJ

Mon May 03, 2004 5:41 am

While I'm waiting in line at security on the rare occasion that I have to wait more than five minutes, I'll just listen to my I-Pod. While I'm waiting for my plane if I'm in EWR I'll go to the end of the C-1 concourse and watch the aircraft movements. Can't beat it. Most other places I will just talk on my cell phone or listen to the I-Pod.

mischadee

Mon May 03, 2004 5:45 am

When I arrive at the airport there are no lines since I arrive so early so I can take time to do some spotting.  Smile

Mischa.
ARNiboy

flyingnanook

Mon May 03, 2004 5:48 am

When I actually have to wait in line, I usually people watch. People do some funny things in airports.

[Edited 2004-05-02 22:48:46]
Semper ubi sub ubi.

ckfred

Mon May 03, 2004 5:50 am

I just talk to my wife.

spinkid

Mon May 03, 2004 5:53 am

I people watch, and let my mind wonder about about the people at the counter and the questions they are asking. It always seems like the people in front of me have some sort of calamity going on and I wonder why simple check-in is so hard for some people.

spencer

Mon May 03, 2004 6:03 am

If by some small chance I haven't made it there before anyone else! then I'd bide my time by, (if I hadn't pre-booked), considering which seat I'd like. (I'll always go for the window at bulk, if possible). I'll take a look at my fellow pax, being that little bit more cautious these days; make sure my bags are tagged; have all my documents at hand, and probably just make sure I can impress on the check-in staff, in hope for the upgrade! At screening I'll go by the numbers, (metal objects in the tray, jacket off, be friendly, no stupid remarks like "what's that ticking"! it can really p155 those guys off, and they'll delay you for it too)! Then if I can, get some thru-the-dirty-terminal-glass-shooting done, before boarding commences!
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

Mon May 03, 2004 7:26 am

I don't wait in line for longer than a couple of minutes. That's the beauty of being an elite tier frequent flyer.

Blackbird1331

Mon May 03, 2004 8:22 am

I look at the back of the head of the person in front of me.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

Jetblue15

Thu May 06, 2004 12:27 am

I'm not feeling this tread.
racecar spelled backwards spells racecar

airbusfanyyz

Thu May 06, 2004 12:33 am

People watch... quite amusing in some places like LAS and MCO!  Big grin

Cheers,
Kaz

Thu May 06, 2004 12:48 am

A funny story.

Last October, I was sitting on the morning Northwest flight out of Anchorage after standing in a very long line. At the last minute, the flight had been switched from the B concourse to the A concourse, and there were not enough TSA people on duty there. Anyway, I pulled out my cell before the door closed to check voice mail because of the four hour time difference between ANC and DCA. And one message was from someone standing in queue behind me and telling me it was a bad idea having my phone number on my luggage tags.

So apparently people read other people's luggage tags standing in line.  Smile

caetravlr

Thu May 06, 2004 12:51 am

Worldperks, that has GOT to be one of the funniest airport stories I have ever heard!
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Greg

Thu May 06, 2004 12:52 am

I fly upfront or in the middle...so usually no line.
I'm addicted to my IPAQ and my Blackberry....so no problem if I have to wait for security or other nonesense.

bartond

Thu May 06, 2004 1:08 am

I usually just look out the window at Terminal A or C at DFW and see just how many MD80's I can spot. Then after about 5 seconds of that I get bored so I walk up and down the terminal and check out where all the planes are going, see what type of aircraft is used on which routes, then I go spend about $20 on smoothies, Maxim Blender/Rolling Stone mags, gum, bottled water, etc.

If I'm at any other airport I definitely go find a place to spot. However, if I'm in Europe I sit at a cafe and have a beer while I watch all the yeahoos cruise by in their soccer (futbol) jerseys, smoking as many cigarettes as they can possibly muster. How's that for a stereotype?

ulfinator

Thu May 06, 2004 1:14 am

I usually just joke about how fun the line ride is. I mean think about it every were we go in this world we more or less to go to stand in line. Might as well have fun with it.

xjramper

Thu May 06, 2004 1:19 am

Fly Toledo...no lines for security, check-in, or to board. I love this airport. And when I do fly from a bigger airport...I generally am the first in line to check in and to spot!!  Big thumbs up

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

ryanb741

Thu May 06, 2004 1:19 am

If the queues are horrendous at check-in I simply ask the airline personnel to open another desk. There is no frickin' way I am paying £2000 on a J class ticket only to have to stand around like a monkey. I paid for fast, efficient service so I make sure I get it. Then when they open the desk I make sure that the duty manager is made aware of the employee's goodwill and that they get thanked for it. Very useful if you fly regularly and see the same people all the time.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

7e72004

Thu May 06, 2004 1:28 am

Either spot or read the latest edition of the airline timetable  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

INNflight

Thu May 06, 2004 1:32 am

I never had a "really long" line in front of me yet... usually not more time to wait than 20mins... I normally go to the airport early to check-in as one of the first, get the seat i want to have and to do some aircraft spotting  Smile

regards, Florian
Jet Visuals

boo25

Thu May 06, 2004 2:05 am

Errh . . . just wink at all the good-looking guyz Big grin

gr8slvrflt

Thu May 06, 2004 2:11 am

Pick and scratch mostly.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

B747-4U3

Thu May 06, 2004 2:12 am

I usually moan to myself about how long the queue is and how standing in queues wastes valuable minutes of my life that I can never recover. I don't know why I bother really, it just makes me feel worse.

Zweed

Thu May 06, 2004 2:16 am

waiting lines?
what is that
I check in on the internet, when i fly SAS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos