777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Australian Cut-price Airline In Safety Row

Mon May 03, 2004 6:14 pm

Qantas cut-price airline Jetstar is in trouble over the way the new airline will be doing its safety checks during transit. Today aircraft engineers launched a safety campaign against Jetstar. The safety campaign will include billboards at airports and "guerilla" web ads, which will appear when people search the internet for Jetstar.com.au. Jetstar will not use licensed aircraft engineers to check its aircraft during stops at airports. Qantas and Virgin Blue do use licensed engineers to check its planes. Jetstar's pilots will walk around the plane's looking for any evidence of a bird strike or any mechanical problems. Licensed aircraft engineers will ONLY check each morning before the plane's first flight, but the pilots will do the 'safety checks' after that. A jetstar spokesmen says that every low cost airline around the world uses its OWN employees to do the planes safety checks. Virgin Blue uses licensed aircraft engineers to check its planes

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,9450430%255E662,00.html

Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

Leskova

RE: Australian Cut-price Airline In Safety Row

Mon May 03, 2004 6:48 pm

How do airlines like WN, B6, U2 or FR handle this? Licensed aircraft egineers, or like Jetstar?

Somehow I doubt QF would use this practice for Jetstar if it really were unsafe - they've got quite a good reputation in that area and having a subsidiary use practices that could compromise safety (and QF's reputation) wouldn't really make sense...

So - as asked above: how do the other LCCs handle it?

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Lufthansa

Mon May 03, 2004 7:10 pm

Sounds like a union tactic to me.

Its just an inspection for birdstrike or other inflight damage. It's not like there is actually any maintanence being performed. If a pilot can't safely perform such a check, then he or she shouldn't have a commercial pilots licence.

Kind of reminds me off the old Ansett 3 crew 767s.

snnams

Mon May 03, 2004 10:43 pm

Lufthansa,

Agreed.

Qantas have too good a reputation to jeapordise. In my honest opinion, if any union were prepared to stoop so low as to try this kind of trick, any Qantas employees of said union who actually support this garbage should seriously consider their positions in the airline.

That sort of tactic is sick and shocking, and as a passenger, I would now go out of my way to fly Jetstar just to prove a point.

Shame on the union and anyone involved if this is true.

[Edited 2004-05-03 15:46:27]

OH-LGA

Tue May 04, 2004 6:18 am

Works that way at SkyWest. The Captain or First Officer performs a walkaround of the aircraft to make sure everything's in good working shape. Mechanics are only called out when something actually needs to be fixed (from missing seat belts to APU's to whatever).

Doesn't bother me any. I can definately see this being a union tactic, but I've seen UA pilots doing the same thing here, inspecting their own aircraft.

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

snnams

Tue May 04, 2004 6:30 am

Evening,

Just want to clarify my position above: I think playing the "safety card", as a union MIGHT be doing here, is disgraceful when there is no need to do so. Playing on people's fears like this is, in my view as a passenger, totally unacceptable.

I do not mean to offend any Qantas or Qantaslink staff who are suffering as a result of any transitions to JetStar.

[Edited 2004-05-03 23:30:52]

PER744

Tue May 04, 2004 10:15 am

Wasn't there something a few years back because DJ were doing that or were going to do that?

greasespot

Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 am

I dunno but the places I have worked in Canada...Maintenance checks the airplane over night and gets it ready for the morning. Then That is it unless there is a problem in a transit station then they call one of their engineers or if they cannot differ or MEL it they get who ever they have on contract to look at it...

Greasespot
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

BD1959

Tue May 04, 2004 11:59 am

This was covered in some depth last night on 3AW.

Interview with David Kemp (Federal Secretary ALEA) highlighted concerns that the Unions have with Pilots performing these walkarounds. Not least was his concern that Jetstar pilots will be expected to perform a whole swathe of tasks currently being performed by dispatchers. Add in an aircraft walkaround and there is a mountain load of work for the pilots to perform in the scheduled 25mins turnarounds.

Jetstar's Alan Joyce countered with the argument that these work practices are little more than is already being asked of QANTASLink Pilots, that QANTAS Group themselves would not risk their enviable safety record, that Pilots were more likely to be vigilant since they were flying the plane - and that it was a Union beat-up.

Emotive talk on both sides. The ALEA pushed DJ back on this same procedure when they came on the Australian scene; interesting times ahead.

BD1959

melflyer

Tue May 04, 2004 12:34 pm

A website has been setup at http://www.jetsafe.com.au. Billboards have also been errected along the freeway on the way to MEL in the last week or so.

Cheers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos