AirlineFanatic
Topic Author

UA Expands Caribbean, Mexico & L. America

Tue May 04, 2004 4:08 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040503/cgm075_1.html

I guess UA wants to expand and fill the void in their weak area. thoughts?

Is this good for the UA/US/Star tie-up? Good move for UA in general?

ord

RE: UA Expands Caribbean, Mexico & L. America

Tue May 04, 2004 4:46 am

Great news! Where's UA744Flagship? He's been saying this will happen for months. I'm wondering if this is seasonal or year-round service.

UA744Flagship

Tue May 04, 2004 4:48 am

Right here.  Smile

Some of the services are year-round, most of them are winter-only.

Dang, this is even more than I'd heard.

Oh forgot to add... TACA is looking at Star membership...

[Edited 2004-05-03 21:58:15]
no wire hangers!

scottysair

Tue May 04, 2004 4:54 am

AirlineFanatic,

Please make sure active with the link < > and here it is:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040503/cgm075_1.html

Regards!!

gigneil

Tue May 04, 2004 4:56 am

They're clearly depending on US to provide East Coast -> Caribbean services, since they didn't bolster IAD as much as they could have.

N

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 04, 2004 5:01 am

Looks like they're also taking a page from US, and will probably end up making most of these flights Saturday-only.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

scottysair

Tue May 04, 2004 5:03 am

Yeah, It is for the Saturday only flight. Are you still anything else about more expansion out of ORD, SFO, IAD to Caribbean, Mexico & Latin American, too.

Regards!

Tue May 04, 2004 5:17 am

I'm sure Alaska and America West will give United some healthy competition on the SFO/DEN to Mexico routes.

EddieDude

Tue May 04, 2004 5:17 am

It was about time. UA was lagging behind the other carriers, especially CO and AA, in terms of presence in Mexico. Let's see if this works for them.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 04, 2004 5:19 am

I'm sure Alaska and America West will give United some healthy competition on the SFO/DEN to Mexico routes.

...not to mention F9  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

UALAX

Tue May 04, 2004 5:23 am

Though only weekly, glad to see Los Angeles finally get some new service (to Ixtapa). Does Alaska still serve this route? Hopefully in the future, the one-stop service to Costa Rica can be made nonstop.

UALAX

N743AS

Tue May 04, 2004 5:28 am

Anybody know the status of Alaska's plan to serve San Jose, Costa Rica?
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann

UALFAson

Tue May 04, 2004 5:39 am

AARRRGGHHH! Of course UA announces this expansion to warm-weather destinations just as I'm about to lose my stand-by passes. Grrrr!!

I bet some of these weekly destinations will go more frequently once UA builds up its reputation in the areas. That's what happened to IAD-SJU, now IAD-CUN, etc.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

scottysair

Tue May 04, 2004 5:46 am

This is good move for UA make expansion out of ORD, IAD, SFO, DEN. I think about IAD-SJU will be continues on the flight. I think will do well for more passengers to SJU.

AA787

Tue May 04, 2004 5:53 am

UA744Flagship-

TACA to STAR? They have codeshared with AA for a long time. I would've expected OneWorld.

AA787
ET In NYC

UA744KSFO

Tue May 04, 2004 7:56 am

This is excellent news for those of us here in Northern Cal! I've always wanted to go to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, and Cancun!

I've thought for a long time that they should do this. I'm glad they've finally ventured into the Mexico market.

EA CO AS

Tue May 04, 2004 8:09 am

AS still has SJO on the back-burner, from what I understand. SFO-CUN was on the drawing board for awhile, but the company hesitated and TZ jumped on that route (along with UA now).
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

TonyBurr

Tue May 04, 2004 9:11 am

Has UA dropped developing Latin America? They have dropped some routes
(LIM, etc) and I was wodnering with US coming into STAR on May 4 they now have GREAT connections on the east coast of the USA (which they lacked terribly before) to feed into their ( defunct) MIA hub to South America. It could be good business now for UA.

scottysair

Tue May 04, 2004 9:14 am

Yep!! It is start tomorrow with US Airways are enter into the Star Alliances. It would be perfect for them. I will try used with codeshare of US & UA with my mileage plus. Well, talk ya later!

Regards!

UALFAson

Tue May 04, 2004 9:45 am

In recent years, UA has ended service to CCS, LIM, and SCL.

UA's problem with Latin America wasn't getting enough butts in the seats, it was getting enough high-fare paying butts in the seats. Several times I'd thought about flying stand-by to EZE or GRU out of MIA but the flights were usually heavy/full. Yet UA claimed they lost tens of millions on those routes.

UA has repeatedly said their focus is on building up service from their hubs, so I wouldn't look for an MIA build-back-up or new service from CLT or PIT, even with US in *A. (Wonder if US will perhaps start sevice from PHL, though?)

UA has always been weak in Mexico and the Caribbean. Glad to see them put an emphasis on this hot (literally and figuratively) market area.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

JC5280

Tue May 04, 2004 10:44 am

Looks like I will be spending some time in Mexico...

Ah, how can one complain?

FA4UA

Tue May 04, 2004 11:19 am

I wonder how much this renewed interest in Mexico is due to loosing Mexicana as they depart from Star Alliance??

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

Arcano

Tue May 04, 2004 11:29 am

Actually, It would be great to see again UA in SCL. United is just the last US airline in a long list of US carriers leaving Santiago: Panam, Eastern, Continental, etc. Now only delta and AA.

There is this nice picture of UA saying good bye to Santiago:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Renzo Pontiggia

"Santiago, we will never forget", next to ETOPS and "worldwide service". Nice titles, aren't them?
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

4jaded

Tue May 04, 2004 12:01 pm

UA will probably find this harder to pull off than you might expect. Unfortunatly they have many negatives going into this expansion. First they have little or no marketing presence in the new cities. Second I assume that many full fare local businessmen would be hard pressed to switch to UA and give up whatever relationship they have with another carrier as UA has demonstrated the pension to fly out of a market as quickly as they flew in. A good example being the failed MIA hub experiment. Third, They big price international tickets are going the way of the $3500 transcon fares /history/ and lower cost operators are not going to roll over and die for UA thats for sure. Most international carriers, and the likes of competitiors like America West, Frontier, Aviacsa etc will be able to keep prices low for a long time. Fourth, the markets that they have chosen /individual cities/ for the most part have plenty of carriers to choose from. It will be hard to wrestle away an American Airlines or Continental customer from these markets as they not only serve Costa Rica for example but all of Central and South America as well as the Caribbean.
I think they would be better off sending TED into these markets and making a go of what tourist fares they can get as well as give away through their FF program. After all that will be about the market scope of the market they will attract.

UALFAson

Tue May 04, 2004 2:37 pm

That's assuming, 4jaded, that UA is going after local businessmen in these new markets, and I doubt that's the case.

While some traffic originating in the int'l cities will be necessary, UA isn't going after the Costa Rican businessperson trying to get to Chicago, for example. They're going after the loyal Chicago-based Premiers who need to go to Costa Rica on business. Same with Mexico--UA isn't starting these flights for Mexicans who want to visit the U.S. (although I'm sure some will take advantage of the service), they're going after SFO and DEN area FF who want to visit Mexico on vacation and earn/redeem Mileage Plus miles.

In the press release announcing the new service, they even said something like "our loyal customers have asked for this new leisure service and we want to stay their airline of choice" blah blah.

Can we infer that all this new service, particularly Mexico, will be mainline, or will some of it go to Ted?

UA744Flagship

Tue May 04, 2004 2:42 pm

Hi UALFAson, enjoy your posts...

The concept that I've heard is that many of these markets (specifically the weekly ones) will start out mainline (increased aircraft utilization during the weekend when a reduced schedule typically leaves aircraft idle, in which case United must think the benefit of operating the aircraft is greater than the cost of operating the aircraft versus leaving it on the ground). Then, as loads improve, daily service will be Ted.

DEN-SJD will be Ted's first international route, as Tilton had officially stated way back in November. This would lead me to believe that IAD-CUN, now upraded to a daily service, will be Tedified.
no wire hangers!

FA4UA

Tue May 04, 2004 2:44 pm

couldn't have said it better myself UALFAson!

I bet the service will be on Mainline except for all the daily flights which will be TED. TED enjoys a lower CASM and was designed for this sort of flying (lower yeild leisure markets). I think the weekly flights eventually will transition to TED when their frequency increases.

just my guess...

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

4jaded

Tue May 04, 2004 10:13 pm

I understand your point UALFAson, however that is my point exactly. That has been the shortsightedness of UA in the past in Latin America. They do not go after the local market. It seems as if UA thinks that there is no money to be made in other countries. So very wrong. Any airline that only commits to one end of a route will find themselves without that route in short order. You cannot make any money flying planes full of FF redemptions and bulk rate vacation package tickets. While this may be a short term fix to keep the FF's happy with a new place to go and spend their miles once the bulk have been there and done that then what? It is not a long term commitment. If UA was serious they would put TED in there heavily marketed and go head to head with the establishment on a daily basis. The folks at UA are gonna have to face the fact sooner or later that the days of Businessman flights in the Caravelles are over and either they are going to have to turn themselves into Singapore Airlines to attract the premium revenue or " TEDify" themselves and be happy with what they get.