TonyBurr
Topic Author

New Japan Central Airport

Tue May 04, 2004 11:47 am

I was just reading about the new airport to open in a few years near Nagoya. Does anyone have any info on when it will be operational? What foreign airlines it will serve, or what Japanese airlines will have what international routes? I am glad to see that domestic flights will also operate somewhat out of the airport. It can be difficult in Japan to transfer from one airport to the other.

Any info out there?

BH346

RE: New Japan Central Airport

Tue May 04, 2004 12:08 pm

Actually, it's set to open in less than a year now. Currently, they plan on opening it February 17, 2005. It is planned to have all or at least most of Nagoya's international traffic. It is also set to have plenty of domestic flights. I'm not sure if Komaki (the existing Nagoya airport) will continue to have scheduled flights. I believe Centrair (the new airport) will be fairly close to the city avoiding problems that Kansai and Narita face since these airports are so far from the city which caused them to lose a lot of domestic traffic.
Here's their English website: http://www.cjiac.co.jp/foreign/english/index.html
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Snoopy

Tue May 04, 2004 2:22 pm

There's also one due to open in Kobe next year as well. That will also be fairly close to the city.

jsnww81

Tue May 04, 2004 11:43 pm

I'm fairly certain that Nagoya-Komaki is going to convert to a GA/Bizjet/military airfield once the new Chubu-Centrair facility is ready for business. It's surrounded by development (much like Osaka-Itami) and offers no opportunity for expansion.

I doubt the Japanese government will repeat the same costly mistake they made in Osaka ten years ago... splitting domestic and international traffic. The situation at Itami was relieved considerably, but traffic through Kansai has remained relatively slow (can anyone tell me WHY they're building the second phase?) I'd look for Chubu-Centrair to open with ALL Nagoya air traffic. Nagoya isn't as large of a travel market as Osaka, and splitting the traffic could lead to a Montreal-type situation - two underutilized airports.

Chubu-Centrair is also built in much shallower water than Kansai, which (hopefully) means they won't have the settling and 'sinking' problems that have tarnished KIX's reputation.

I've heard very little about the new Kobe airport. How long will its runway be? Will it be able to handle widebody shuttles from Haneda? If so, I'd look for Itami and Kansai's traffic to fall off even more.

BH346

Wed May 05, 2004 6:39 am

I don't think Kobe was designed to handle widebody traffic. If I remember correctly, it's going to go for regional aircraft like ANA Connection's CRJ and Fokker 50s and J-Air (or whatever JAL group calls it now). Most of these kinds of flights would go to Itami, so it shouldn't affect Kansai that badly.

Kansai wasn't intended to be international-only, when I first went through Kansai back in 1997, it had a fairly extensive domestic network. However, over time, many routes were dropped and I noticed that a lot of frequencies to OKA (where I go) have been cut as well. Domestic traffic has been shifting back to Itami since it's much closer to Osaka. Kansai has seen the resumption of some suspended international routes as well as some new routes. With the growing Asian economy and the rebounding Japanese economy, I think traffic to Kansai will pick up again. Domestic flights don't show much improvement, though.

Hopefully, Centrair will have its act together and learn from Kansai's mistakes, which I'm sure it's doing. I think that they'll get it right this time around. Settlement shouldn't be an issue, or at least as bad as it is for Kansai, since the area Centrair's in has shallow water and the clay layers are supposed to be much more stable. Hopefully, they have their costs in line as well.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

cx123

Wed May 05, 2004 1:15 pm

I heard that HDN might be upgraded to take Intenational flights!!

I don't particularly like to travel to NRT! (so Long!)
It is almost like askiling people in PHL to travel on a bus to catch a flight in JFK

Snoopy

Wed May 05, 2004 10:08 pm

According to the blurb on this site

http://www.city.kobe.jp/cityoffice/17/020/airport.htm

the new Kobe airport will have one 2500 metre runway. Best of all it will be only 16 minutes from central Kobe!
I hope they get flights to HND from there, that would certainly be really convenient for me as our branch office is in Kobe and I visit regularly.

hoons90

Wed May 05, 2004 10:31 pm

CX123,
There are international flights from HND, to GMP, 4x daily.. + some charters to GUM.

[Edited 2004-05-05 15:31:47]
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.